EDC steel advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dtipton

EDC steel advice

Post by dtipton »

Looking to purchase a delica for EDC, usually carry a SAK. I do have a sharpmaker but am average at best at this point in using it. Would like an everyday EDC for general stuff including occasional food prep. Reading up in the forums and lots of execellent information out there but looking for some advice. I've narrowed my choices to the following (open to other suggestions if I am missing the mark)

S30V (looks like I can get for about the same price as the VG10) $90
CPM 20CV $110
Salt 2 - LC200N for about $125
K390 $125

I've handled one with the FRN scales and found those worked for me. Will I be able to maintain the edge on the K390 and CPM 20CV with the sharpmaker and standard stones? Will the LC200N be the most maintenance free of the bunch?

Appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thank You!
sal

Re: EDC steel advice

Post by sal »

Hi Dtipton,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

dtipton wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm
Looking to purchase a delica for EDC, usually carry a SAK. I do have a sharpmaker but am average at best at this point in using it. Would like an everyday EDC for general stuff including occasional food prep. Reading up in the forums and lots of execellent information out there but looking for some advice. I've narrowed my choices to the following (open to other suggestions if I am missing the mark)

S30V (looks like I can get for about the same price as the VG10) $90
CPM 20CV $110
Salt 2 - LC200N for about $125
K390 $125

I've handled one with the FRN scales and found those worked for me. Will I be able to maintain the edge on the K390 and CPM 20CV with the sharpmaker and standard stones? Will the LC200N be the most maintenance free of the bunch?

Appreciate any words of wisdom.

Thank You!
I recommend giving the LC200N a try, it will be very very responsive to the sharp maker stones and enjoyable to use and learn with.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Sharpmaker will keep LC200N scary sharp, and the corrosion resistance will bring you so much pleasure, and long before wearing out the blade will ever be a concern.

If budget is a significant issue, S30V would be my next recommendation.
So it goes.
mtb

Post by mtb »

One for LC200N for true a cut-n-forget EDC knife! Love my SpydieChef. :)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The CPM 20CV Knifejoy exclusive Delica is great.

https://www.knifejoy.com/products/copys ... eq=uniform
Last edited by jwbnyc on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would go with a salt 2 personally. lc200n is very easy to maintain on the sharpmaker and holds an edge relatively well for normal edc usage. it's not quite as good as s30v in edge retention, but it's close enough and it's slightly easier to sharpen. the corrosion resistance is very nice for people that sometimes use their knives on food as well. i just pulled out my caribbean last night and realized i had forgotten to clean it off after cutting some food up for my kids a few days ago. it was gummed up and looked nasty, but all it needed was a rinse. i love how maintence free it is because you can't always take the time to clean a knife after every use and then it's easy to forget to get back to it later when you have a lot going on.

i'd also consider getting it serrated. the sharpmaker makes touching up serrations pretty easy. the serrations work well for edc and are great to have for emergency use. if you're not up to trying it, plain edge is perfectly fine as well.

welcome to the forum. we look forward to seeing what you go with and how it works for you.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have no experience with LC200N but for a low maintenance knife that people swear by it is hard to beat.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Funny enough,I’ve never tried a “real” Delica or any of the other non-Salts in the Endura family.
I have the Salt 2 in both PE H-1 and PE LC200N, and it’s all the Delica I’ll ever need.

It’s the more expensive option, but you get a linerless, very lightweight, easy to maintain, worry free knife. Can’t imagine you’ll ever regret it.

Even if you outgrow it some day, it’s the kind of knife that will alway be useful to have around for dirty work, nasty environments or to save weight when camping or backpacking.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I would also suggest the Salt. LC200N is very nice to touch up. Take it anywhere with little worry.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Carrying my LC200N UKPK today, it’s become my go-to work knife. Very easy steel to keep sharp on the sharpmaker and the corrosion resistance makes it an EDC dream. My Spydiechef is a blast too for the same reasons — highly recommended.
me2

Post by me2 »

Get the steel you think you can sharpen best. Until you can sharpen them all about the same, the easiest to sharpen will be the best performer. If you’re already there then I’d try K390. I’m not a super steel guy but that one might be worth trying.
arty

Post by arty »

I would recommend the less expensive model in S30V. It holds an edge well and I like it a lot. The VG10 model is likely to be easier to sharpen and VG10 has excellent rust resistance. I use a Spyderco Stretch in VG10 for surf fishing and it rides in a bathing suit pocket while I get drenched. It has only needed a rinse with fresh water after getting wet in the surf.

While I haven’t used a Delica in these steels, Spyderco does a good job with VG10 and S30V. I have a Chaparral in S30V in my pocket right now. It works fine for me and takes a good edge.
Skar

Post by Skar »

They are all good steels.
Personally s30v, lc200n and cruwear are preferred.

One is not better than the other, they are just a bit different.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

OP, unless you have personal reasons to convince yourself that one steel is better another, I’d echo the recommendation for VG10 steel. The steel is not merely adequate, but it surely is more easily maintained than some of the steels you listed.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I have all of these and they’re all great. The k390 is my household cardboard breaker downer. I use it a ton but only have sharpened it 3 times in 2 years. But I use diamond stones on the kme. Same with the 20cv… have had to use the kme to get the results I want.

The lc200n and h1 are stupid easy in the sharpmaker. I’ve also been trying to sharpen s30v on the sharpmaker recently and it seems to actually be working to my surprise.

Of all of these the lc200n is my favorite. I also recommend getting the blacksmith color deep carry clip from LynchNW.

Keep in mind the non salt versions have liners so they feel ever so slightly heavier.
Last edited by sethwm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 am
OP, unless you have personal reasons to convince yourself that one steel is better another, I’d echo the recommendation for VG10 steel. The steel is not merely adequate, but it surely is more easily maintained than some of the steels you listed.
I’d agree with this. I find I have to sharpen vg10 as often as lc200n and it’s as easy. The difference in this case is you’re paying $30-$40 for rust proof. I’ve had vg-10 rust just this past summer just by having sweaty pockets. Nothing a little Bar Keepers Friend couldn’t fix, but lc200n doesn’t have that problem.

Also keep in mind the blade shape and spydie hole differ for the salts. Bigger hole and more of a drop off towards the tip.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I agree with the comment above. For the salt you pay for the rustproof steel and those other minor differences. Otherwise VG10 is more than adequate. I prefer Salt.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

LC200N or VG10 until you're sharpening chops are where you want them. I will say that I just love the linerless salt wharnie version though, both teeth or no teeth. Weighs practically nothing.
dtipton

Post by dtipton »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:17 pm
LC200N or VG10 until you're sharpening chops are where you want them. I will say that I just love the linerless salt wharnie version though, both teeth or no teeth. Weighs practically nothing.
What is it about the Wharncliffe design you like?