Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by z1r »

A lanyard tube with a waist would seem to be a handy solution.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not sure if anyone posted some comparison pics like these yet (I haven’t had the chance to go through the 20+ pages of this thread), but I found this interesting. With the blade length just shy of a Military, this knife definitely seems like a backlock Seki Millie. But in true form to Spyderco’s other Japanese-made knives (most notably the Caly 3.5), this Stretch XL packs all that blade into just a bit more than a PM2-sized handle.

I only received mine a week ago or so, but it’s phenomenal. I really like it. No sign of the blade on mine hitting the lanyard tube BTW. Cheers, Radioactive

P.S. Sal, if you’re seeing this, I’m pretty sure a Delica in this steel and color G10 would sell very well. Time for another run of the G10 Delica?

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Love the in hand pic!

Knife of the year 2022 IMO. I hope the Delica and Endura both get the same treatment.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

This knife is like a clown car. It’s very compact when closed and then all that blade comes tumbling out. It’s always surprising. Definitely knife of the year for me. And it’s been a good year.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Great pics @RadioactiveSpyder , really highlights the similarities of all three as well as the blade thickness differences. Is "087v" a personalized engraving option like BHQ offers? It's tastefully done, whatever the case.

I had the chance to use mine a bit over the last week. We lost a big pine tree in last weekend's storm - my first thought was, "I get to play with my chainsaw!" :cheap-sunglasses . Had my S2 XL in my right front pocket for 2 full days of sweaty, back breaking work covered in sawdust and pine sap. I used it a few times to cut back some weeds and small brush that was blocking access to the work area. The Cruwear blade really impressed me, it never skipped a beat and still looks as good as the day I unboxed it. Its corrosion resistance is good enough for my needs and has enough edge retention that I wasn't wishing I had a different knife. Of course, the handle ergonomics are outstanding and probably the best of any of my folders and it carries so well in the pocket I forgot I had it until I needed to use it. The only downside is, it's going to limit how often I carry my M4 micarta Shaman. I think they're my two favorite hard use folders.

I've been edc'ing my K390 PM2 for the last few weeks (with RGT micarta scales) and it's really growing on me but I think when I switch up edcs, I'm going to give my BRG ZDP S2 some pocket time. I love these Stretch handles.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Mine didn't leave my EDC for nearly a month! Longest I've carried a model in a long time.
Carrying the LW VG10 version today ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:03 pm

P.S. Sal, if you’re seeing this, I’m pretty sure a Delica in this steel and color G10 would sell very well. Time for another run of the G10 Delica?
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:19 pm

Knife of the year 2022 IMO. I hope the Delica and Endura both get the same treatment.

Absolutely!! I REAALLLLY want to see the Delica and Endela in this treatment. A Delica Wharnie in this combo would be amazing as well. And an Endura. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:

Why not the Endela? :zany
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

abbazaba wrote:
Love the in hand pic!

I could not agree more . I am glad I wear a vest in colder weather . If not in pocket it’s in my vest . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:39 am
Great pics @RadioactiveSpyder , really highlights the similarities of all three as well as the blade thickness differences. Is "087v" a personalized engraving option like BHQ offers? It's tastefully done, whatever the case.

I had the chance to use mine a bit over the last week. We lost a big pine tree in last weekend's storm - my first thought was, "I get to play with my chainsaw!" :cheap-sunglasses . Had my S2 XL in my right front pocket for 2 full days of sweaty, back breaking work covered in sawdust and pine sap. I used it a few times to cut back some weeds and small brush that was blocking access to the work area. The Cruwear blade really impressed me, it never skipped a beat and still looks as good as the day I unboxed it. Its corrosion resistance is good enough for my needs and has enough edge retention that I wasn't wishing I had a different knife. Of course, the handle ergonomics are outstanding and probably the best of any of my folders and it carries so well in the pocket I forgot I had it until I needed to use it. The only downside is, it's going to limit how often I carry my M4 micarta Shaman. I think they're my two favorite hard use folders.

I've been edc'ing my K390 PM2 for the last few weeks (with RGT micarta scales) and it's really growing on me but I think when I switch up edcs, I'm going to give my BRG ZDP S2 some pocket time. I love these Stretch handles.
Jack, you just name-dropped 4 of my absolutely favorite Spydercos in just 3 short paragraphs. You have excellent taste, sir. :1stplace:
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:01 am
Jack, you just name-dropped 4 of my absolutely favorite Spydercos in just 3 short paragraphs. You have excellent taste, sir. :1stplace:
Thanks, glad to hear I chose wisely. Lately I've been buying based on steels I'm unfamiliar with and most of them have really impressed me in one way or another. I'm fairly new to Spyderco but collected Benchmades for a few years in the 90's and 2000 range. I have a strong preference for tool steel blades over stainless because of the amazing edges they're capable of and how well they hold them, though the newer generation stainless steels: S--V(n), Magnacut, etc do interest me.

Spyderco first captured my interest due to the wide variety of steels they're willing to offer and several of their designs instantly hit my "gotta have it" list. And, for the most part, they do it at a reasonable price. How could I NOT support a company like that?
Jack
RadioactiveSpyder

CrustyOtter wrote:
Hi CO, thanks for the compliment. The 087V is my Collectors Club number, they’re engraved that way in the Golden factory. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:43 pm
CrustyOtter wrote:
Hi CO, thanks for the compliment. The 087V is my Collectors Club number, they’re engraved that way in the Golden factory. Cheers, Radioactive
Okay, that's definitely cool. I hadn't heard of that before. That M4 Millie looks like something I'd sell a kidney for, glad I missed out on that one. ;)
Jack
RadioactiveSpyder

CrustyOtter wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:26 pm
Okay, that's definitely cool. I hadn't heard of that before. That M4 Millie looks like something I'd sell a kidney for, glad I missed out on that one. ;)
That’s a “FrankenMillie” created from the CF/Ti S90V KW exclusive and the natural G10 DLC M4 exclusive from BHQ, along with a new black lanyard tube and geared stand-off. It’s not a stock model, it’s a merger of two variants. Cheers, Radioactive
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:49 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:03 pm

abbazaba wrote:

Absolutely!! I REAALLLLY want to see the Delica and Endela in this treatment. A Delica Wharnie in this combo would be amazing as well. And an Endura. :)
Agree 1000%. Really enjoying this combo and how slim of a package it is, I’d probably snag an endela and definitely a delica (or 2) in this combo. Really wish we’d see more sprint or production seki models in g10
cjk

Post by cjk »

Just posting to echo the 'I'd love an Endela and a Delica' version in this construction, especially wharncliffes.

I really dig the Seki full liner backlock G-10 models. I wouldn't mind even if there was like only one a year. It'd be easier on the wallet since I'd hope to pick up a couple of each.

The Endela hasn't gotten a fancy model except for the pakkawood knifecenter exclusive. It seems like it's a good enough seller for retailers to order exclusives. It'd be super cool in a G-10 version or even a Ti version. I'm a bigger fan of the wharncliffe, but I dig both Endela blade shapes.

I'd love to see a factory G-10 wharncliffe Delica. The normal blade Delica has been done in G-10 a couple of times already.

Edit: Endura too, but the G-10 Endura has been done before as well. The wharnie hasn't though!!!
Last edited by cjk on Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

are all these other models also going to cost more than a spydiechef? 😂
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cjk

Post by cjk »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:09 pm

Probably. Personally, I like them significantly more than the Spydiechef.
RadioactiveSpyder

The last G10 Delica was released 5 years ago (the red TiCN HAP40 SNK exclusive). The foliage green G10 Delica was released 15 years ago, so I’m not thinking they’re being “overdone”.

I have blade swapped every possible Delica framed blade shape (including the Lil Matriarch reverse S) into the original G10 Delica without any issues, so one can easily swap their blade/steel of choice into these models. If anyone is uncomfortable doing so or doesn’t know how, I’m happy to swap them for you. I can do them blindfolded at this point! I’m not saying I wouldn’t love to see a wharnie Cruwear version in this dark gray G10, I absolutely would! I just wanted to point out those frames accept every blade shape I’ve come across opening up a ton of possibilities for folks to change them up.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:12 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:09 pm

Probably. Personally, I like them significantly more than the Spydiechef.
i can understand liking it more. i can't understand it costing more or being worth more.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C