Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:09 pm
Stas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:57 am

Feel sorry for the quality issues you got. Any chance you could return it and get another one? I see at least two EU dealers have them in stock.
I've written an e-mail to Lamnia, just to see how they would react. I know K&T or other dealers would send me a shipping label and send me a new one pretty easily, but I never had to do so with Lamnia !
CrustyOtter wrote:

Perhaps to late for you, but I still wanted to let you know: In my experience Lamnia has great customer service!

They´d certainly exchange the knife for you if you are not happy with you example.

And you can also ask them BEFORE ordering to check the knife they´ll send you for quality or whatever.
I did this two times with a guy named Oscari at Lamnia, one time I wanted a certain production date and one time an as blade play free as possible Salt 2 that I got as a gift for a friend.
Very nice contact, and he helped me out perfectly well.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:40 pm
Perhaps to late for you, but I still wanted to let you know: In my experience Lamnia has great customer service!

They´d certainly exchange the knife for you if you are not happy with you example.

And you can also ask them BEFORE ordering to check the knife they´ll send you for quality or whatever.
I did this two times with a guy named Oscari at Lamnia, one time I wanted a certain production date and one time an as blade play free as possible Salt 2 that I got as a gift for a friend.
Very nice contact, and he helped me out perfectly well.
I ended up sending it back. It's weird because the return from France makes you put the package in a relay, and it's another company that will get it. It stayed 5 days in the same relay and I was very afraid to just have been scammed or stolen but today it finally updated to say that GLS got the package.

I spoke with someone else at Lamnia but they offered the same thing : Once they get my Stretch they'll call and pick one for me especially.
I never bothered them before because everytime I had a good sample of the knife I bought them. But for now on I might do that on pricy items.

I tend to try and not add work for people, but I'm pretty sure handling returns and exchanges is more workload than picking a pristine sample directly ;)

I any way I'm happy to see that Lamnia's customer service is both responsive and very human/wholesome. The person I spoke with know what it's like to want a good knife when they pay good money :grin-big eyes
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Mine arrived today.

It has been a long time since I bought a knife so I knew I really wanted this one. Funny, the CF Stretch was my go-to knife after I stopped with CRK a while back, and this model felt just right for some reason.

From what I've spotted glancing over the comments, there are some with uneven grinds, the blade catching the lanyard tube, mention of a slightly off-centre blade and the lockbar sitting up above the liners when locked open. If there are other things I've missed and you want to know how my knife compares, please feel free to ask and I check it out for you.

I got mine from Heinnie Haynes in the UK, at full eye-watering shop price but, much to my delight, I cannot see any of the problems here that some others have had on theirs (except for a minor mention of the lockbar not sitting exactly flush with the liners when locked open).

To discuss the lockbar on mine, which I would call a minor niggle in real-life use, the lockbar does sit up/down just the tiniest amount when locked open. I can't even feel it with my thumb when pressing as I hold and use the knife, but I can just about feel it with a fingernail edge passing over it. I'd guess it's around the thickness of a sheet of Rhodia / Clairefontaine writing paper above the liners for around 3/4" in length from the spine in then it tapers back flush before going a tiny amount under the scales just before the Boye Dent. When the knife is closed, the lockbar sits perfect along the liners.

Overall, I'm very happy with this one. The blade is really similar to my military, just a wee bit shorter, so I wonder if I'd have preferred a different curved spine like the original Stretch had? I'm already carrying it today and, if all goes well, in a few days time, I'll do my usual blade spine, Spyderhole and liners hard edge rounding off with Micromesh (I'll also give the liners and lockbar a wee rub too where they're sitting slightly up/down when locked open). I love the subtle look of the grey G-10 against the bright steels and I'm looking forward to seeing how this CRU-WEAR edge performs on this one as my new edc.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Roefisher wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:37 am
[...]
I got mine from Heinnie Haynes in the UK, at full eye-watering shop price but, much to my delight, I cannot see any of the problems here that some others have had on theirs (except for a minor mention of the lockbar not sitting exactly flush with the liners when locked open).
[...]
Mark
That's good to read :grin-smiling-eyes ! I don't have much issue if everything isn't perfectly lined up but in my particular case the lockbar was pretty proud near the blade, enough to catch skin. The real issue I had with it was that the backspacer had lots of surface imperfections. Like if it was "bumpy" near the butt of the handle. I tried to photograph the first facet I found on the backspacer (near the lockbar), but did not think about photographing the dozens of other facets I found the day before I sent it back.

I love this design and even if it has a certain weight to it, I really like the overall feeling of the knife in-hand. Makes me think about the PPT which is pretty heavy for its size too !

I don't have big hands but I love big blades. When I hold my Police 4 it looks like I'm cutting with a sword :grin-sweat However, with the Stretch 2 XL it just looks like I have a knife, and that knife has a long blade. No weird "He's definitely wacko and after that piece of paper, we're next !" :grin-squint
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:40 pm
I ended up sending it back. It's weird because the return from France makes you put the package in a relay, and it's another company that will get it. It stayed 5 days in the same relay and I was very afraid to just have been scammed or stolen but today it finally updated to say that GLS got the package.

I spoke with someone else at Lamnia but they offered the same thing : Once they get my Stretch they'll call and pick one for me especially.
I never bothered them before because everytime I had a good sample of the knife I bought them. But for now on I might do that on pricy items.

I tend to try and not add work for people, but I'm pretty sure handling returns and exchanges is more workload than picking a pristine sample directly ;)

I any way I'm happy to see that Lamnia's customer service is both responsive and very human/wholesome. The person I spoke with know what it's like to want a good knife when they pay good money :grin-big eyes

Yes, Lamnia offers really good customer service and I am certain you´ll get a Stretch XL now you´ll enjoy 100% !! :smlling-eyes
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:11 pm
Yes, Lamnia offers really good customer service and I am certain you´ll get a Stretch XL now you´ll enjoy 100% !! :smlling-eyes
I'm very impatient to get my pristine sample (if they have one available but I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem, almost nobody bought it on Lamnia, it's expensive and it became available only recently :winking-tongue ). I know it will go in my top 3 users very very fast !

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:11 pm
I'm very impatient to get my pristine sample (if they have one available but I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem, almost nobody bought it on Lamnia, it's expensive and it became available only recently :winking-tongue ). I know it will go in my top 3 users very very fast !

I´d certainly get one if their was an SE version of this variant - I figure that Cruwear must be a very, very good steel for SE actually, just going by its specs (though and not TOO hard to sharpen?)
vivi

Post by vivi »

A2 would be a cool steel to see in SE. Very tough, very cheap, edge holding just a bit below D2.
:unicorn
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

I received mine today in the mail and will be sending it back for replacement. The blade was not ground properly (missed a progression of one or two belts) and the lock bar doesn't sit flush when the blade is in the opened position.

riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Lo/Rez wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:32 am
I received mine today in the mail and will be sending it back for replacement. The blade was not ground properly (missed a progression of one or two belts) and the lock bar doesn't sit flush when the blade is in the opened position.
What's the lockbar do in the closed position?

Can you feel the vertical striations on the blade or is it just something you can see?
- Richard
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Spyderco,

When you get the knife back please sell it to me as a second. I like the look of the grind lines and can deal with the back lock issue, great looking knife. Pretty please…

But yes for the price if your not happy do what you have to, good luck.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

I have 12 Seki City back locks and only 2 came with even grinds. I have this one also and uneven grind as well. But it's still a beautiful specimen and I love it.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

olditguy wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:34 pm
I have 12 Seki City back locks and only 2 came with even grinds. I have this one also and uneven grind as well. But it's still a beautiful specimen and I love it.
But let me add, they were all sharp as a razor when I got them!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The grind on my superblue dragonfly can catch my nail pretty well every 4 or 5 striation. Seems like a similar situation.

Lamnia said thzy chose the best out of 20 Stretch Xls for me, should be here by Monday maximum.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:25 am
Lamnia said thzy chose the best out of 20 Stretch Xls for me, should be here by Monday maximum.
This one has really been growing on me lately. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on multiple occasions... but now I'm not so sure. Knowing that, at best, I'll only get the best of 19 kind of kills it for me
Nahh, still tempted ;)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it still blows my mind that so few seem to care that they have to worry about getting the best of a store's stock of a $285 knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:52 am
it still blows my mind that so few seem to care that they have to worry about getting the best of a store's stock of a $285 knife.
Most "theorically" don't care, if they had bought it it might be another thing :winking-tongue

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:52 am
That’s the only reason I don’t have one already. I feel like I’d need to hand pick it or I’d be pissed.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I bought a very early one and was lucky. Otherwise I'd be waiting for CQI.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

If I wasn't currently drooling over the Subvert sprint I'd probably pick one of these up..

I just want all the knives!