Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes or no

Yes
12%
No
71%
Kinda
14%
Yes, but
2%

Total votes: 49

vivi

Re: Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Post by vivi »

time for a new avatar ;)
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: Is a DLC coated pm2 with k390 steel and green canvas micarta basically the quintessential folding knife?

Post by Evil D »

Not in a PM2, but I may be interested in this combo in other models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

No to the DLC blade. I enjoy looking at them, but in practice the DLC just bugs me. Hides any corrosion I need to be concerned with and I've never had good luck getting it to look nice after it starts getting used.

I can go either way with the handle material. I appreciate Spyderco factory G10.

How about a K390 Manix instead?
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
jdw

Post by jdw »

My vote for the quintessential folding knife would be an uncoated Military in either K390 or Maxamet.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

Rymanz wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 am
No to the DLC blade. I enjoy looking at them, but in practice the DLC just bugs me. Hides any corrosion I need to be concerned with and I've never had good luck getting it to look nice after it starts getting used.

I can go either way with the handle material. I appreciate Spyderco factory G10.

Do you have any examples to share?
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am
Rymanz wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 am

Do you have any examples to share?
It wouldn't be hiding it very well if I could show you. ;)

But in all seriousness I like to be able to quickly assess surface condition of my knives and DLC inhibits that. It's more a hypothetical nit-pick as I tend to stay away from DLC for the aforementioned reason.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:57 pm
Today, I finally noticed a bit of surface rust on my K390 PM2 (which happens to be wearing Green Canvas Micarta scales from RGT). First time I've had any trouble at all with it in two years - I guess I put it away wet, or something. I got most of it off with an alcohol pad, and will try a scotch brite pad tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try some flitz metal polish. All in all, not much of a big deal.

Anyway, I voted "yes" here. I think that the knife you suggest would tick a lot of boxes for some folks (myself included). However, if the very similar Blade HQ Shamans are any indicator, a satin version may prove more popular - the Satin M4 Shaman sold out relatively quickly, whereas the DLC version is still in stock today.

Man, that's a sweet knife.
I thought of you in particular would appreciate a model like this.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:47 pm
On a PM2 I would want a tougher steel. I like K390 though. I would love to see it DLC treated.
I have seen a reviewer who liked the Japanese heat treated K390 over the Golden K390 but I have not done a test myself.
I consider the PM2 with its thinner tip better suited to the likes of Magna Cut with G-10 or carbon fiber. I would like to see a frame lock sprint run with thin scales.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bi ... AR&PC=APPL
Toughness wouldnt be an issue
Last edited by Paraguy on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:12 am
time for a new avatar ;)
I didn’t realize so many people hated dlc! Or micarta for that matter. Or the pm2 at that! 🤣
Work with me people!

As a side note. I’m sure you’re aware of this, Vivi, but just in case.
BB57645A-AE75-48F1-99FC-259EF07B0CCE.jpeg
(My first thought when I saw this was it needs dlc. Luckily Sal clearly knows the fan base better than me!🤣)
"Some call me...Tim?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:37 pm
vivi wrote:
time for a new avatar ;)
I didn’t realize so many people hated dlc! Or micarta for that matter. Or the pm2 at that! 🤣
Work with me people!

As a side note. I’m sure you’re aware of this, Vivi, but just in case.BB57645A-AE75-48F1-99FC-259EF07B0CCE.jpeg
(My first thought when I saw this was it needs dlc. Luckily Sal clearly knows the fan base better than me!🤣)
funny thing is I carried a DLC PM2 for years to start my DLC love.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Paraguy wrote:
vivi wrote:
time for a new avatar ;)
Work with me people!

As a side note. I’m sure you’re aware of this, Vivi, but just in case.BB57645A-AE75-48F1-99FC-259EF07B0CCE.jpeg
This has the potential to be an all time classic
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:49 am
Which ones? The model isn't important to me I just thought the PM2 would be the most popular choice. Caribbean?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Not for me. I like K390 but I prefer Magnacut because it's corrosion-free, tough, and still wear-resistant. So in that regard, it's no. I prefer backlocks, liner locks, frame locks, BB locks and slipjoints to comp locks, so in that regard it's also no. For me, the PM's blade is at the lower end of what I consider "quintessential" so, since it's easy to find Spydies with more blade, it's no in that regard too. And I will almost always choose an uncoated blade over a coated one, though DLC would be the coating I'd choose if I had to. I have no objection to Micarta; it might be my favorite handle material.

I think my quintessential folder would be a Stretch 2 XL in uncoated PE MagnaCut, LC200N liners and hardware, and burlap Micarta scales, with a titanium clip.

That said, a knife I would carry more would be a similar Stretch 2 XL, but with traditional Salt linerless FRN construction.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Paraguy wrote:
I didn’t realize so many people hated dlc! Or micarta for that matter. Or the pm2 at that!
I like the PM2 a lot.
I like polished paper micarta, polished linen micarta and polished or lightly blasted canvas micarta, I don't like burlap micarta.
I don't mind DLC but I would prefer a plain satin blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:49 am
Which ones? The model isn't important to me I just thought the PM2 would be the most popular choice. Caribbean?

Yeah it probably goes without saying I'd buy a Caribbean in almost any steel combo.

I would probably buy a Shaman in this combo, especially in SE. I really like how large the serrations are on the Shaman.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

That's actually a surprising number of "yes's" considering how particular I was and how different everyone's tastes are.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:06 pm
Not for me. I like K390 but I prefer Magnacut because it's corrosion-free, tough, and still wear-resistant. So in that regard, it's no. I prefer backlocks, liner locks, frame locks, BB locks and slipjoints to comp locks, so in that regard it's also no. For me, the PM's blade is at the lower end of what I consider "quintessential" so, since it's easy to find Spydies with more blade, it's no in that regard too. And I will almost always choose an uncoated blade over a coated one, though DLC would be the coating I'd choose if I had to. I have no objection to Micarta; it might be my favorite handle material.

I think my quintessential folder would be a Stretch 2 XL in uncoated PE MagnaCut, LC200N liners and hardware, and burlap Micarta scales, with a titanium clip.

That said, a knife I would carry more would be a similar Stretch 2 XL, but with traditional Salt linerless FRN construction.
What don't you like about the comp-lock? i find it to be an all-around improvement on the liner lock. Backlocks are great when they're done right like on the native/chief. However, Seki's back-locks can develop lock rock which I find very frustrating.
"Some call me...Tim?"
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think Seki back locks develop lock rock. Maybe, but I don't think so. I think some just have it while others don't. Probably a tolerance difference from Seki to Golden in comparing their back locks. Usually if you get one with it, it has it right out of the box. In my small sample size, it is the minority.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

No, to me it would be a Cru-carta Endela. A more traditional backlock, a tough tool steel, and a nice micarta handle, all in the perfect size and package.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:53 am
I don't think Seki back locks develop lock rock. Maybe, but I don't think so. I think some just have it while others don't. Probably a tolerance difference from Seki to Golden in comparing their back locks. Usually if you get one with it, it has it right out of the box. In my small sample size, it is the minority.
I've been buying seki lockbacks for about 20 years. Golden lockbacks just as long starting with the C95.

I've never handled, owned or used one with zero play. (except a chap at a store)

Every Spyderco lockback someone has handed me with "zero play," I've found some rock by pressing the edge near the tip into a cutting board or similar surface.

Every single time I bought a used lockback off knifeswap or ebay or blade forums, same thing. I found some, even when the seller described it as zero play.

I wouldn't care at all since they work fine for me. I don't care about it one bit during use.

But when I constantly see people talk about their "zero play" seki folders, or their "amazingly high tolerance zero play" golden lockbacks, I'm 100% convinced they just aren't checking hard enough.

I've handled over a thousand seki and golden lockbacks at this point. Drop in the ocean compared to even their one year output, much less two decades, but a trend is a trend.

Whether we're talking an $18 byrd, $100 pacific salt, $200 sprint Chief, 15 year old C95 Manix or less than 15 month old Stretch XL, every single one of mine have some degree of play.