The only thing more emotion rending than losing your Shaman with $75 Jade Scales...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

The only thing more emotion rending than losing your Shaman with $75 Jade Scales...

Post by FeistyKat »

...Is your wife telling you the next day she found it laying in the dirt when she got in the truck that morning.

So, I got a problem, when I get out of the truck, my right hip slides across the steering wheel. I've already destroyed two steering wheel covers, but I'm more concerned about my knife.

Would a deep cover clip make this less likely to happen? I suspect the answer is no as there is still a clip on the outside of my pants.

What about a low profile clip? Does such a thing exist?

Looking at the stock clip it actually sticks out quite a bit.

Suggestions, anyone?
VooDooChild

Re: The only thing more emotion rending than losing your Shaman with $75 Jade Scales...

Post by VooDooChild »

I think it will continue to be a problem if you carry clipped.
You probably need to change how you get out of the truck. Try a different seat or steering wheel position.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JSumm

Re: The only thing more emotion rending than losing your Shaman with $75 Jade Scales...

Post by JSumm »

You could try one of these. They don't protrude as much and are somewhat rounded. I have experience with the first link.

https://mxggear.com/products/custom-mad ... o-knife-16

https://mxggear.com/products/custom-mad ... military-2

If you must exit the vehicle that way, does your steering wheel tilt up. You could tilt it before getting out.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I learned covering the clip with my right hand when getting in and out my car for a few years now. Not because of loosing but because i kept scratching the door and steering wheel.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Do you have a tilt steering wheel ? If so put in full up position before getting out . A different clip deep carry maybe helpful . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Glad you found it!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not all clips are equally bad at scratching, but no matter what type of clip you choose, it will ride in the exact same spot as long as you carry the same way.

For a combination of reasons, including scratching and catching, I've moved on to completely clipless carry. That's a bit extreme for most i suspect, and probably isn't ideal for something as large as the Shaman. Maybe play around with some other carry positions to see if you find something that works for both you and the car?
When I do use a clip, typically for outdoor and not EDC, I clip it inside the right backpocket. It's my preferred carry position anyways, but it also avoids almost all the typical scratching and catching scenarios I'm used to from RFP carry. The only drawback is it tends to scratch a bit on the leather of my car seat.
There's also IWB, that might do away with most any risk of catching.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Move to Australia. We drive on the other side of the car :bug-red-white
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

IWB carry solves this with no new clips or purchases required.

IWB carry solves so many issues people post about here.

Knife too visible, knife too wide in the pocket, knife too long in the pocket, knife clip scratching things, knife coming unclipped....just tuck it IWB if local laws permit.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Glad you did not lose the knife.

I had the same issue with clips and so for awhile I clipped left side, then I decided to not use the clips at all. I now use a Vanquest Pocket Quiver to keep the knife upright in my pocket. Clips are great up until they aren't.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jacala

Post by jacala »

What about a clip behind the ear !
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:02 am
Move to Australia. We drive on the other side of the car :bug-red-white

:rofl

Response appreciated.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

When my kids where young I always had issues with their shoe laces... I would pick them up and their shoes would fall right around my pocket. A quick kick, the lace would catch the clip it was now on my sons shoe. Over the years it must have happened half a dozen times.

Either that or the waist draw string of coats. That cord always sits right where the knife is too.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Move the clip and carry the knife in your left hand pocket instead?
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Neck knife?
Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

I've made it a habit to cover the clip on my pocket with my right hand as I get out of any car for this exact reason. Took a few weeks to ingrain it but it protects my wheel and my clip without thinking about it now. :cheap-sunglasses
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I'm going to follow this thread. My boss has lost a few spyderco knives now in a similar manner. So something to try would be nice.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Deep carry is not connected to the problem if the curved end part is what's hooking it. There are different end designs though, both for deep carry and not. Is putting it in your pocket not an option?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Why not just put it all the way in your pocket while you drive?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick