Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Ikuchi

Post by gull wing »

Got an Ikuchi recently, I love compression locks and I have 6 of them. This is a very clean looking knife. It's light and easy to carry, pull it out, flip the front opener.
but....
Unlocking is a hazard for me. Cut my finger while closing, the blade slams on to my index finger that is holding the lock lug tab. Also, when closed, the blade edge is quite close to the top of the handle spine. I did this to myself twice.

In addition, the lock lug tab does not have chamfer, the other Taichung knives I have do??
The lock lug exerts an extreme amount of force to the blade making it difficult to push the tab to unlock also making it difficult flip open.
Now I can get around the cutting of my finger, but the force on the blade and lack of chamfer on the tab.!

Sorry for griping, but I've been around here a long time and expect better.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JRinFL

Re: Ikuchi

Post by JRinFL »

I just got mine out and I have none of the issue you are experiencing. Is yours a pre-CQI model? Did you get it new or used? I even tried to let the blade drop on my finger as it held the lock open. Maybe I don't hold it quite the same way, however.

Pictures would help as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

mine doesn't hit my finger either. with such a small amount of clearance, i'm surprised anyone can get enough of their finger in there to get cut. it's such a shallow cutout. and there are standouts for the screws that keep the blade pretty far from the back of the handle.

i would agree that pics are needed.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

New knife.
How do you tell if it's CQI?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That doesn’t sound good, at all.

Mine has none of those issues, though. What’s the date code?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I see the numbers and letters on the box, but I don't see a DATE?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The letters are a code for the month and year. First letter is the month, second letter is the year.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

gull wing wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:18 pm
I see the numbers and letters on the box, but I don't see a DATE?
Give us the two capital letters on the right side on the box-labeling and we let you know the production date.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank you.
I have a CQI.
I just may be a whiner then?
The cuts are real however.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

gull wing wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:28 pm
Thank you.
I have a CQI.
I just may be a whiner then?
The cuts are real however.
There very well could be an issue with your particular knife. It’s why we asked for pictures so we can compare it with ours.

I have a SpydieChef which has a blade that can slice me when closed. The edge is just a bit longer at the heel than it should be so if I grip it just right, it can cut me. Your Ikuchi could have a slightly out of spec blade.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
brj

Post by brj »

I have 2 Ikuchi(s), one CQI and one pre-CQI, the action is splendid on both, I can easily flick them open and/or close via pressing the lock tab with the very tip/nail of my index finger (the only difference is that on the pre-CQI version, the tip sits closer to the top of the handle spine when closed but not proud of the liners, it doesn't snag and I can't feel it with my fingertip). Sorry your Ikuchi is acting rebellious, I think it's a great design and one of the few Spydercos I still carry and enjoy a lot.