Caribbean Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shane1

Caribbean Question

Post by shane1 »

I spend a lot of time near the ocean and on boats in the summer. I have researched the Caribbean and I am getting inconsistent info on the parts. Can someone please tell me what they are made of to be corrosion resistant? The scales, dentent, screws, etc? I also noticed that in some photos and videos the screws are matte silver and some are black. Thanks,
sal

Re: Caribbean Question

Post by sal »

Hi Shane1,

Welcome to our forum.

We are always testing and improving our products. We call it CQI or Constant Quality Improvement. The coatings of the screws on the Caribbean model was the latest improvement to reduce the possibility of Galvanic corrosion.

sal
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Thank you. Also, anyone sharpen these with a wicked edge? Do you need to remove the blade to fully sharpen it?
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

shane1 wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:14 am
Thank you. Also, anyone sharpen these with a wicked edge? Do you need to remove the blade to fully sharpen it?
I didn't even try to do it on my KME without removing the blade.
sal

Post by sal »

No problem sharpening on my Sharpmaker without removing blade.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:22 am

sal

Absolutely no chance I'd own a sharpener that requires me to take the knife apart to use it. That sounds like the kind of sharpener the government would design

🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Back to the rust - if you swim with it in ocean for hours and days, you will find rust inside which will come from the pivot and screws. Nothing crazy, but those parts will not resist the salt water without some slight rusting. I would personally suggest to simply flush the knife with (non salty) water once you get back from the beach and you should be fine.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:59 am
sal wrote:

sal

Absolutely no chance I'd own a sharpener that requires me to take the knife apart to use it. That sounds like the kind of sharpener the government would design

🤣
Requiring three work crews, disassembly team, sharpening team, and the reassembly team which would not be the same ones as the disassembly team. There would also be pre-planning committees, fact-finding junkets, planning committees, environmental impact studies on disassembly, a pause for government shutdown, renewed EPA study, disassembly oversight committee, actual disassembly, selection committee for sharpening system choice, selection process, pause while all the vendors not selected sue, numerous hearings, original selection upheld, sharpening, picture taking ops for Congress critters, and the whole process starts again for the re-assembly process. Five years later, a Superfund is setup to clean up the mess created by the sharpening.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Jim,

I do all of that with the Sharpmaker except for the oversight committee. :winking-tongue

sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:54 am
Evil D wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

🤣
Requiring three work crews, disassembly team, sharpening team, and the reassembly team which would not be the same ones as the disassembly team. There would also be pre-planning committees, fact-finding junkets, planning committees, environmental impact studies on disassembly, a pause for government shutdown, renewed EPA study, disassembly oversight committee, actual disassembly, selection committee for sharpening system choice, selection process, pause while all the vendors not selected sue, numerous hearings, original selection upheld, sharpening, picture taking ops for Congress critters, and the whole process starts again for the re-assembly process. Five years later, a Superfund is setup to clean up the mess created by the sharpening.
You, sir, win the internet today.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:54 am
Evil D wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

🤣
If you don't work for the govt. (or maybe in mid-level corporate management), you definitely missed your calling in life. :squinting-tongue