Gunting Model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Gunting Model?

Post by jdw »

I noticed an old model Gunting with a LEO trainer for sell on BF (I am not the seller). I have not owned this knife and I am not sure that I have even seen pics of very many. Given the odd design and that it had a LEO only trainer offered with it I am wondering how this knife was/is used for SD. What’s the purpose of the large protrusion above the Spydie hole and all of the front jimping? Thanks as always folks.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Jim Malone

Re: Gunting Model?

Post by Jim Malone »

The large protusion is used for pressure point use (like the kubotan) and for kinetic opening of your blade ( like a giant emerson opener). designed by Bram Frank. You can find more information on his website.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If I hadn't already poured money into a couple more C-60 Sprint Runs I would be all over the Gunting and Trainer providing the price isn't in the far reaches of the solar system. I had to sell both my GUNTING models and the one Trainer I had during a severe financial crunch and it's been one of about 4 Spyderco models I've never been able to get back again.

I loved so many aspects of the GUNTING model. And I believe that some of the older Spyderco trainers will be highly sought after in another 5 years or so. They are getting as rare as a hen's tooth now in many cases.

I'm curious as to whether this one for sale has 440V or S30V blade steel?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like most the weird collabs but the personally the Gunting was a bit much.

That specific version of the compression lock on the left side left some nasty pinches. The kinetic opening was strange and gimmicky. In general striking someone with the back of the blade isn’t even as effective as the pommel (and that isn’t great unless it’s part of leverage/trapping mechanics). Sub 3” blade. Plus that weird clip. I feel it probably made for a cool demo though.

Going into SD knives brings up a lot of different perspectives. Some more rational (as much as knife defense is), some very nutty. The Massad Ayoob, Yojimbo, Civilian/Matriarch, Chinook, P’kal etc all have odd silhouettes. I personally like odd but even if you don’t the fact they don’t treat the blade as an after-thought is obvious to anyone. These are serious cutting tools with comfortable handles.

Anyways sorry to anyone who loves the design! I appreciate Spyderco reaching hard in those early days, just like now. They were interacting with very creative artists. For me personally…I’ll keep this one as interesting history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wish that Simona was still here she had some crazy good pictures of here Gunting. :beaming-face
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

apollo wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:33 am
Wish that Simona was still here she had some crazy good pictures of here Gunting. :beaming-face
I did wish the "GUNTING GIRL" a Happy Birthday the last time around. And I've been hoping that she might return at some point. Her photos were outstanding and her knowledge of blades was respectable.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:07 pm
apollo wrote:
I did wish the "GUNTING GIRL" a Happy Birthday the last time around. And I've been hoping that she might return at some point. Her photos were outstanding and her knowledge of blades was respectable.
Lets hope that she still reads te forum and find this post.
I remember allot of here foto’s they where truly inspiring.
Also remember here red gunting. :squinting-tongue
Wish more of the old members would return not only Simona but we are missing allot of nice and knowledgeable people. Hope they are all alright out there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

apollo wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:45 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:07 pm
apollo wrote:
Lets hope that she still reads te forum and find this post.
I remember allot of here foto’s they where truly inspiring.
Also remember here red gunting. :squinting-tongue
Wish more of the old members would return not only Simona but we are missing allot of nice and knowledgeable people. Hope they are all alright out there.
I completely 100% agree with you. That was a really fun group to be a part of.

I always found it most interesting that a really classy gal like Ms Simona would take on a model like the GUNTING. I wouldn't have guessed that one with 100 attempts.

The pocket clip on that model is still one of my all time favorites. I've heard that a full PE, S30V model is a really rare piece from what I was told. The GUNTING was another old school model I always wanted in full SE.