Vehicle knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmohawk

Vehicle knife

Post by Shmohawk »

Need recommendations for a knife to keep in my car.
Something for emergency use, self defense if necessary and general in vehicle use instead of reaching into my pocket.
Can be folding or fixed.
Preferably something on the cheaper side in case of break in.

Thanks!!
JRinFL

Re: Vehicle knife

Post by JRinFL »

Check your local laws pertaining to knives (or any other weapon) in cars and/or in reach of the driver. Some don't make sense, but they are still the law.

For me, I just keep a combo-edge Delica that was scale-swapped with a waved version.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Hate saying this in a Spyderco forum but a old fashion Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman. Enough blade for self defense if needed but more importantly its a small tool box, perfect for a minor car break down or small project that needs a screw dirver, saw, scissors, etc. when away from the house.

Now if you are talking crashed the car no one is coming for 24 hours in the woods a Spyderco Bow River would be great.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Currently a Victorinox Rescue Tool and an old Wenger Esquire are in the glove boxes, speaking of which: when did cars get multiple gloveboxes anyway?
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I’ve got a partially serrated Endura 4 I accidentally bent the pocket clip on in my vehicle. It’s done everything I’ve needed it to do so far.
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Honestly, I would choose a reverse-S Spyderco with a serrated edge. Isn't this just about one of the perfect purposes for those kinds of knives? Something like a Matriarch 2, or a Dodo, or even a Cricket, but the Dodo and Ma2 would be a lot better on the SD aspect that you mentioned. I have one of these, as well as having a ring installed in the Matriarch 2 that is a potent glassbreaker, so that is a great "car-knife". I like the stout butt of the Dodo.

The Merlin/Harpy/Tasman Salt also may be a good option, with the more traditional hawkbill profile, but still works well. These knives are great fiber-destroyers, as I call them, and can be called upon for many situations. Spyderco or Byrd's "rescue knife" may also be a good option, with the serrated sheepsfoot blade. I was actually considering getting one of the orange Byrds to keep in a vehicle.

Leatherman is a great option to have in the car - Swiss Army Knife you should have and carry always. Also, just as a good "car knife", I would be remiss if I did not include recs for the Espada XL and Black Talon II.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I keep an Astute in my car just in case I forget a folder in my pocket. It’s a good EDC design and it’s inexpensive.
-Nick :bug-red
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

In my car is a ClipiTool Rescue, a Leatherman and Cold Steel Special Forces shovel (shoveling mud, snow, improvised hatched). On my sunshade is a resqme glass breaker/seatbelt cutter.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I keep a serrated pacific salt (1st gen) in the truck. Also works well if I accidentally forget to put a knife in my pocket.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
rashman

Post by rashman »

dragonfly salt & my old leatherman
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Caribbean PE in case of anything
MRj “Weak things break!”
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I always recommend the Byrd rescue2 for such occasions. Under $40 and razor sharp!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TSINGA

Post by TSINGA »

A Mora 546 is the obvious answer to me. Probably $12 on Amazon.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:35 pm
Hate saying this in a Spyderco forum but a old fashion Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman. Enough blade for self defense if needed but more importantly its a small tool box, perfect for a minor car break down or small project that needs a screw dirver, saw, scissors, etc. when away from the house.

Now if you are talking crashed the car no one is coming for 24 hours in the woods a Spyderco Bow River would be great.
I am not sure how good of an idea it would be to use a Swiss Army Knife for self defence. It is enough blade, but a non-locking blade seems like it could be just as hazardous to the user as the recipient.

I think a Mora would be great. I have a Robust and it is both light and takes a beating. I am not sure what would happen to the plastic sheath if left in the heat of a car all the time though. Never done that before.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i keep a cold steel rajah 2 in the car in case i make a surprise trip to the woods. i also keep a cold steel voyager tanto xl in the car in case the urban environment decides to fall around me. i also have a leatherman raptor in the console next to me in case i end up in a vehicle emergency (has a glass breaker and shears are safer than a knife).

i've considered getting a spyderco rescue model to clip to the visor, but i've always got a serrated spyderco on me already anyway. maybe the byrd rescue models are the right suggestion here. the assist would be a good option too.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

I'm actually considering the KC Crujimbo.
Here's the thought process...
Open package from KC, wow this is a really nice knife and costs way more than I would want to pay for a car knife, order different knife for car.
Last edited by Shmohawk on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

SAK Super Tinker and Byrd Rescue live in front console of my car. Resqme hangs on rear view mirror.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I'm liking all these multi-knife suggestions. I mean, in the car you don't have the limitation of pocket space, so have a few on hand and you can cover almost any need. SAK, medium Spyderco folder, and a fixed blade, that sounds like a good combo.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Matus

Post by Matus »

I also have the Victorinox Rescue Tool - it never leaves my car. It is a well thought out tool for a specific job. But it can still slice bread or open a package if needed.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A retractable blade Stanley knife of sorts.

The metal handle can break windows to get out of the vehicle.
And...the knife is a tool to most folk, so will not look bad as a real knife would...