Spyderco Dive Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fannin

Spyderco Dive Knife?

Post by fannin »

I was looking at dive knifes the other day and thought this would be a good specialized unit for spyderco. Ti is the way to go, something with a larger hole for opening with gloves/cold fingers, strong tip, maybe a line cutter, not over 4inches and available in a plain edge (FAA/airline hassels). This would be ideal to use on your BC. I'm sure they could move a few of them. What do you all think?
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Fannin,

From what Sal has said, I believe Spyderco is working on a dive knife. I think he said that they already have a design and are just working on the finding the ideal blade material. Just for your information Spyderco did make dive knives in the past.

-Glenn
meldez

Post by meldez »

i would like to see a spyderco dive knife but i must say that a folding knife is one of the worst idea for a dive knife.

in hope their design is a very simple fixed blade.

in my experience a dive knife should be....
- small
- serarted with a blunt tip
- inexpensive (they often get lost)
- easy to clean. a folder is not. the inside parts of the knife will most definitely rust.
- doesn't need to be Ti (just makes it expensive)

the best dive knife i have ever used is the Underwater Kinetics Remora (don't know who the OEM is). it's a simple, small knife with a short serrated blade and a handle that snaps off to facilitate cleaning. i have used that knife on over 300 dives and i have never had a rust problem.

a knife similar to that with a spyderedge....i would buy in a heartbeat.
fannin

Post by fannin »

I'm glad to hear the've got one in the works. I still think Ti is tops right now. Minimal maintainance, and prices on exisiting knives are reasonable. I personally like serations but again the availabitity of a plain edge is better during travel. Also offering different tips is important, I never have had to pry anything with my knife, but have had to make a few holes. Fixed blade is fine with me but I know spyderco does folders well, I'm sure they can make it work.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Before you reject the idea of a folding dive knife, consider that more and more dive destinations are forbidding dive knives. I have a small one attached to my console that no one has ever hassled me about. But I also have a folding Spyderco Dive knife (About 8 or 9 years old.) clipped inside my BCD pocket. I spray it periodically with CRC 3-13 and rust is not a problem. A nice sharp dependable knife with a good line cutter tucked out of sight.

Ben

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Edited by - Fozzy on 3/5/2001 11:24:08 AM