Looking for a new EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shane1

Looking for a new EDC

Post by shane1 »

So I think I have decided to get the PM2 but I am not sure which model. Which do you think is the best model the is currently available for all around use? Thanks,

Shane
Riknull

Re: Looking for a new EDC

Post by Riknull »

Hi Shane, that’s a pretty open-ended question. Let’s try to box it in a bit, you might get more responses. What do you currently use as EDC, and what have you carried in the past? What do you find attractive about the PM2, and what gives you pause?
Austin, TX/ Detroit, MI
Dragonfly 2 Salt serrated (current EDC), Para3. Kershaw Leeks and Dividend Composite.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the Forum.

Without knowing where you live, (wet or dry climate,) whether you sharpen your own knives, or what you're going to use it for, I'd say a middle of the road PM2 would be the standard G-10/S45VN model (C81GP2). (or the older S30V model) They both have a stainless steel blade that have good corrosion resistance, they're easy to sharpen, and hold a good edge.

From there you could select models with better corrosion resistance if you need it, or a steel that will hold an edge even longer. (usually a bit harder to sharpen) If you want to accessorize your wardrobe, there are lots of retailers that sell models with different colored handles, steel, and even the material that the handles are made of. ;)

Here's the page from the Spyderco website that'll let you know what's/what was out there.

https://www.spyderco.com/?s=Para+Military+2

Lot's of people on the Forum have experience with all the different models, and no doubt would be happy to answer any question you have.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!

I'll second Pokey. I'd go with a fairly standard g-10/s45vn model. The only other model I'd consider is the Teal s90v variant that is currently available (and won't be forever). But if you're looking at your first PM2, I'd probably go with something regular production while you see how you like the model.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

shane1 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:27 am
So I think I have decided to get the PM2 but I am not sure which model. Which do you think is the best model the is currently available for all around use? Thanks,

Shane
It depends on your application and preference. Below are the "common" steels with the PM2 you can buy now:

Cru-Ware - Toughness 8 / Edge Retention 5 / Corrosion Resistance 5.5

S45V - Toughness 4 / Edge Retention 5.5 / Corrosion Resistance 8

S110V - Toughness 3 / Edge Retention 8 / Corrosion Resistance 9

Maxamet - Toughness 2 / Edge Retention 11 / Corrosion Resistance 4.5

For a general EDC I would recommend Cru-Ware or S45V. Cru-Ware if it wont see a lot of water and moisture and it can take a beating with out chipping. If you are in the water a lot or even occasional salt water than S45V is the way to go. You can hunt for other stuff out there but these are the mains ones you can buy any time.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think the best all around knife is the Pacific Salt. While daily life might not require a rust proof knife, it's an amazing feature to have when you do need it. Very light, full sized, fast and easy to sharpen and economically priced.
:unicorn
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Might I suggest the Sage 5 LW? It’s durable, excellent build quality, and S30V is still an amazing all-around steel for EDC. Plus it’s more compact than PM2 but still has compression lock.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For basic all around use, the base model of the PM2 in black G10 and S45VN is pretty hard to beat.

If you want something a little more fancy, the micarta and CruWear verison is excellent. CruWear may take a little more care as it is not as corrosion resistant as a proper stainless like S45VN, but I have found it to do pretty well.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My favorite version of the PM2 so far is the Crucarta (Cruwear blade, factory Micarta scales) model, which is available for less than $200.00. That's an incredible value, one of the best-built PM2s out there, and a fantastic example of where Spyderco is going as a brand to boot.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:15 pm
For basic all around use, the base model of the PM2 in black G10 and S45VN is pretty hard to beat.

If you want something a little more fancy, the micarta and CruWear verison is excellent. CruWear may take a little more care as it is not as corrosion resistant as a proper stainless like S45VN, but I have found it to do pretty well.
I was looking at the Cruwear pretty hard myself but was worried a bit about corrosion vs the S45VN. I just think the MacArthur scales look great. Do you have any corrosion issues with it? It would be a EDC for me with some limited water and plant exposure but probably never salt water.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:57 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:15 pm

I was looking at the Cruwear pretty hard myself but was worried a bit about corrosion vs the S45VN. I just think the MacArthur scales look great. Do you have any corrosion issues with it? It would be a EDC for me with some limited water and plant exposure but probably never salt water.
CruWear has done pretty well for me. It's spent quite a few shifts in a very sweaty pocket (following picture, the dark color of the scales is all from sweat), and I've done quite a bit of yard work and weed cutting with it. I do clean it up at the end of a day or shift, and if it's gotten particularly dirty or sweaty I will put a little oil on it, but so far it's been very good for me. I still pick stainless for conditions that really encourage rust, but CruWear is a great choice if you want a tool steel that is fairly forgiving with regards to corrosion.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
rashman

Post by rashman »

Hey Shane, Do you sharpen your own knives?
S30v and CruWear are super easy to sharpen and maintain.
I haven’t tried the S45v (can’t comment on that one yet,) but the S90v and Maxamet (IMO) need some a little more sharpening experience if ya really dull the edge.
Unfortunately PM2 are sorta like cookies - ya just can’t have one - lol
Lost my first PM2 on a fantastic hike chasin a girl, gave the next couple of s30v’s to knife poor friends.
My PM2’s are the s30v Tanto, Maxamet, and CruWear Micarta (all keepers.)
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not really a PM2 guy myself, but it's hard to disagree with the readily available Cruwear/Micarta version. That seems like a great knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maxamet with custom wood scales is my only PM2. Pretty happy with it.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shane, Riknull,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

Honestly, everyone here has there own preferences. I would do some research on the steel types. But ultimately just get what you think looks coolest. Everyone has their own preferences and you don't wanna get something another person says is great but you don't like the way it looks.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Shane, welcome to the forum!

Like others have said, may need more info. to make a good suggestion. If you are dead set on a PM2, I think the nicest one you are going to find is the Cruwear Micarta version. Outside of the Kapara, it is easily the nicest Spyderco I have from build quality to materials and execution on a design.

Cruwear is relatively corrosion resistant in my use so far. I have had it in sweaty pockets for hours and even left acidic food on it to see how it would do. Did just fine. No corrosion so far. Knife Steel Nerds is a great steel resource, and Dr. Larrin is a contributor and member here if you are interested.

I also find Cruwear relatively easy to sharpen. That may be related to its relatively low Vanadium compared to other steels including S30V. This means it will have a lower wear resistance compared to some of the other more popular steels but one may be able to get a crisper edge more easily than other steels. I tend to prefer higher hardness tougher steels than to lower toughness higher wear resistant steels.

That is more info than you probably need, but all that to say I would not be afraid to recommend the steel to someone even if they are newish to knife collecting.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Not sure these is a perfect EDC, too many to choose from.

Spyderco has many great designs too choose from.

First consideration should be compliance with Federal, State, and Local laws,

Reason is you need Zero aggravation in life.👍
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I prefer stainless steel so if I were buying a PM2 today I would get the standard s45vn steel model.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The standard model in S45vn seems exactly what you need. Otherwise, see if you can find an older used model in S30v and save a few bucks. It's a good model and there is no need to look at other models if you already selected this one.

BTW, welcome aboard. Remember, your first few posts will be moderated, but after that you can post normally.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001