Grip Improvement On Folder Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Grip Improvement On Folder Handles

Post by JD Spydo »

Not wanting to go down a diverse, deep rabbit hole on a thread dedicated to a new Spyderco folder ( C-60, Cruwear) I decided that this subject is important enough to create a thread dealing with that issue alone. Which is concerning different materials or methods that could be used to improve the grip on several of your Spyderco folders ( or fixed blades too for that matter)

On the C-60 Sprint Run thread there was mention made concerning improving the grip on an older C-60 model with different handle materials which I found interesting. But you could surely include any popular past Spyderco folder model for that matter. Some handles have better grip/purchase than others for sure. There was a suggestion of using "skateboard tape" along with other materials that could improve the grip factor of most any knife handle. But I'm sure there are more products than that which could help in that cause.

I'm sure there are a plethora of different products, materials and enhancement methods out there that could attain that objective. So let's put our heads together and see what we can come up with that could improve the important grip factor of our favorite knife handles. I've always wanted to see what I could do to improve the grip factor on some of my Spyderco stainless handled folders especially.
troutinCO

Re: Grip Improvement On Folder Handles

Post by troutinCO »

I've got hockey tape on my Subway Bowie for some extra grip, I like it so far.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I added skateboard tape to my stainless Lava. It helped, but looked terrible.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Never wanted or needed to alter a grip.
Junction was one I actually thought of at first but after a bit of use….I actually liked the thinner profile.

Must admit there is several non Spyderco knives I have not bought due to grip alone. (Tend to stay away from metal handles on folders. Don’t think I own one anymore)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here's a variation along the hockey/skateboard/non-skid tape theme.

A company called Talon Grips (https://talongungrips.com/other-grips/d ... al-sheets/) makes sheets of material that are a few different grippy textures. Their Granulate texture is like non-skid tape, but with a slightly, finer, less rough surface. Their Rubber texture is a softer, less of a snaggy, pocket shredder material. Both textures are thinner than non-skid tape and will actually wrap around objects and conform to their shape. Both types have a self adhesive backing.

I've used their Rubber textured grips for years. The Rubber textured material is non abrasive and can be cut with scissors or a razor blade without tearing up the edge.

The company is up in the "hills" northwest of Golden in Steamboat Springs, CO.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Plenty of cool tennis racquet grips. Have used them on fishing rods and canoe paddles over the years

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
cjk

Post by cjk »

My favorite handle scale material is forest green G-10. It isn't typically available in peel ply texture in the aftermarket.
So my options have either been smooth or some sort of machined in texture. Smooth G-10 on a knife with a choil and jimping (like the Chaparral in my case) seems to still work great in terms of grip. The Chaparral seems to have good grip whatever the handle material. I figure this is probably the same for the Sage, Native 5, Stretch, and Manix (and certainly others).
A Delica works a bit less well with a smooth handle. The Delica really needs some machined in texture on aftermarket scales to really have a good grip.

I've never wanted to put adhesive grippy tape on a folding knife. The bi-directional texturing of a lot of the FRN models is really excellent in terms of grip. I'd use one of those instead.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:04 am

A company called Talon Grips (https://talongungrips.com/other-grips/d ... al-sheets/) makes sheets of material that are a few different grippy textures. Their Granulate texture is like non-skid tape, but with a slightly, finer, less rough surface. Their Rubber texture is a softer, less of a snaggy, pocket shredder material. Both textures are thinner than non-skid tape and will actually wrap around objects and conform to their shape. Both types have a self adhesive backing.

I've used their Rubber textured grips for years. The Rubber textured material is non abrasive and can be cut with scissors or a razor blade without tearing up the edge.

Have you had to replace it on the knives, and how did it come off if so? They mention having a lifespan of "1-3+" years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:23 am
I added skateboard tape to my stainless Lava. It helped, but looked terrible.
Yeah that's a problem I knew we would encounter very quickly on this thread. Because let's face it folks being most of us are knife "afis" we do put a lot of stock on how our favorite blades look (aesthetics) about as much as we do in overall performance.

In a really bad or demanding situation you might just be able to overlook that aspect. But most of us here on the Spyderco Forum want our blades to look nice too.

With Spyderco being one of the top companies who has had success on making functional items look good it really puts us in a different paradigm in that regard.

But if I'm in survival mode I think I'll cease to care if I impress anyone any longer.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:04 am

Thanks for the most interesting input "Pokey". Thank you for making us aware of this interesting source of materials.

I can see where "rubber textured grips" can be extremely advantageous for many types of knife handles ( folders & fixed blades).

I live here in the Great USA State of Missouri and we have several specialty type companies here as well. I'm going to make it a point to see what we have available here in the "SHOW ME" state.

I'm looking forward to see what this thread will produce in the next 2 days.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Deep blasted canvas micarta provides a fantastic grip.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:26 am
Deep blasted canvas micarta provides a fantastic grip.
Hey "Curly#" you're preaching to a very devout choir. I've always loved just about every Micarta model of Spyderco's I've ever owned.

Let me tell you all a little story about how I got lucky with a "one of a kind" Micarta handle. When I ordered my very first C-44 Dyad model around the year 2000 I think it was. I got it from a dealer we now know as "GP". The C-44 Dyad I got from them was like no other I ever owned. It had a Micarta handle that had a rougher, cloth-like Micarta scales that had an excellent grip. Since then I've probably owned, used and traded at least 8 of that model. But I never had another one that had that cloth like, grippy surface on it.

On a One To TEN scale I would easily give it a 9.7 grade. I've seen quite a few of the C-44 Dyad models over the years but that was the only one that had that type of Micarta handle. I wish they could replicate more Micarta handles just like that one. But it seems like G-10 has displaced all the Micarta models.

And I like G-10 handles but I wish they had not deleted Micarta handles from their line up.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hi JD, one way to bring back that kind of grip is to re-blast the scales. It seems the model with the highest number of OEM micarta scales is the Shaman, currently.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Add another to the list for fixed blades, there are several companies that make what is called Ranger bands, short pieces of rubber tubing in various sizes. These can slip over the handle for improved grip. Mine are from 5col Survival Supply.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

phaust wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:32 am
Have you had to replace it on the knives, and how did it come off if so? They mention having a lifespan of "1-3+" years.
I’ve never used it on a knife, only on pistols. Other than on the backstrap it’s still there. I’ve trimmed the edges that have come loose.

It looks like other knife makers use something very similar. This is a Buck Impact in the photo.
Attachments
7770A660-0E32-4B6F-985D-5A75913A64F8.jpeg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when i need a better grip on a knife, i just pick up a manix. best knife ever.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
phaust

Post by phaust »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:35 pm
phaust wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:32 am
I’ve never used it on a knife, only on pistols. Other than on the backstrap it’s still there. I’ve trimmed the edges that have come loose.

It looks like other knife makers use something very similar. This is a Buck Impact in the photo.
Thanks!
That looks awesome. I always liked the grip panels on the Kershaw Blur, and that looks pretty similar. Going to pick some up.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:51 am
Hi JD, one way to bring back that kind of grip is to re-blast the scales. It seems the model with the highest number of OEM micarta scales is the Shaman, currently.
That's interesting. Because I have an older ATS-34 JD Smith model ( the ATS-34 was the very first run of that model in the late 90s) and it has a Micarta handle but it has a gloss coating on it. It's actually a little on the slick side when wet. I would love to that one blasted to see if I could get the cloth effect the same as the one C-44 Dyad I just told you about.

Also I have a couple of older Spyderco models with G-10 handles but for some reason those G-10 handles made before 2005 are somewhat smooth a slick when wet. The newer G-10 handles like the ones on the newer C-60 Ayoob, Cruwear Sprint model has an excellent G-10 handle with a great grip/purchase factor. Thanks Curly you've just given me an idea I want to try out for those older handles.