Chinook 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Chinook 5?

Post by sal »

So I'm getting mixed messages on what would be desired. We made the later Chinooks lighter due to the many complaints about the weight of the earlier models. Most of the "I love the older models" was based on their appearance and not their performance. I am working on a Chinook and I did speak with James about it, bu we didn't go into details. I had thought to use the Power lock, but have recently changed my thinking to a Compression Lock. I haven't spoken with James about it, Maybe we can get him to chime in here?

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Power lock would be cool. I do not mind a new model being lighter than the C1, but I really prefer high hollow grind vs full flat grind. Not sure if any of the makers still have that capability, however.

Anyway, I’m always happy to see a new design by James and yourself!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I prefer the design of the Chinook 4 as it’s much more in line with my personal preferences than the previous iterations.
Honestly, a compression lock on a knife like that would be really cool. Idk, there’s something special about these bigger knives recently, to my eyes. Like the Yojumbo and Military 2 are just big and awesome comp locks.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 pm
So I'm getting mixed messages on what would be desired. We made the later Chinooks lighter due to the many complaints about the weight of the earlier models. Most of the "I love the older models" was based on their appearance and not their performance. I am working on a Chinook and I did speak with James about it, bu we didn't go into details. I had thought to use the Power lock, but have recently changed my thinking to a Compression Lock. I haven't spoken with James about it, Maybe we can get him to chime in here?

sal
Power lock > comp lock IMO and based on detent preference. It never ceases to amaze me that the CEO of Spyderco chimes in like you do. You are a treasure sir
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The last Chinook 4 (C63G4) released in 2017 with S30V & G-10 was made in Japan. It had a whopping street price of $203.97 in 2017 and $241.50 in 2020 (MAP discount went from 40% off MSRP to 30% off MSRP). It didn’t sell particularly well and was discontinued in 2020.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

benben wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:41 pm
apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:57 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:41 am
apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am
The only designs i love in full flat is the Manix line but for all the others i rather see hollowgrinds.
Like the Native's i wish those were still hollow and have that nice swedge on the tip. :grin-smiling-eyes
apollo, I still say 4mm of FFG S30V ain’t no joke! ;)
098C072C-53F4-4FCA-B147-7EB413609A0E.jpeg91DC7044-D1F2-48D5-B08E-34E5D79477D9.jpeg
Nice pictures! No it indeed is no joke. I am Just not a big fan of the ffg on that one. And if i remember correctly even the handle was changed and made more thin and skinny on the 4th gen. So that one was an completely different knife for me. That is why if they would ever make a 5th one i personally hope they get the inspiration of the older ones. But if they don’t no problem i still have my old chinook and my Mamba :smirk
You need a Szabo!
I liked the Szabo as a design only wish it had a bit of a smaller brother. :squinting-tongue
apollo

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 pm

sal
Hi Sal. Thx for stopping by!
I feel like i need to explain myself a bit more. For me the lock does not really matter in this particular design. ( also might the cbbl work in this one? ) So both ideas seem great. Now i do prefer the hollowgrounds because not only of it amazing looks. Also because i can honestly say i used my hollowground chinook 2 for 5 years as an edc it was my first high end spydie and i still use it at times. The blade profile of that one is a joy to use. It works for all the tasks i used it for from standard work in and around the house to outdoor campbuilding. And doing that last thing i can say it is probably my favorite for woodworking i really like the feel how it bites in the wood before it slices it off.
And i think you know better than me how great a good thinly ground hollow grind can perform if done correctly.

Also if weight is a concern you could grind the hollow a bit higher because the hollow on the mamba is i think higher then on my chinook so that would maybe make it also lose some weight? Also depending on the lock you choose you can drop the liners make thicker g10 and then you could restore the pivot area to its earlier design because on the chinook 4 that area is so skinny it felt so weard in hand when I tried one ,the old felt more comfortable personally for me.

And to prove i am not joking this is my beloved chinook and as you can see on the scratches this baby is not a safequeen. :beaming-face
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi Sal ! I would be interested to see what changes are out there for the Chinook . I personally never had a weight issue but if has been with others have maybe it is time for me to rethink what would be good for the whole . A different lock could be a weight savings I never considered . I look forward to see what would be offered in that area . Do you have a target for weight reduction ? Thank you MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I did some checking from Sal statement concerning Chinook weight and Forum comments on the subject . The Chinook 2 weighs in at 6 ounces and changes made on the Chinook 4 reduced weight to 5.6 ounces which I feel was quite an accomplishment. I can see why a change of lock could further reduce the weigh without loss of performance. MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Compression lock sounds good to me. My only complaint about the Chinook 4 is that it is tip up only. Compression lock allows for four-way clip. (My vote would be to use the four-way Shaman clip, if Chinook 5 is made in USA.) Should be pretty light too, compared to the older models. Light enough that it doesn't bother you to carry it, yet strong enough for social work when you need it.

Count me in for two Chinook 5's anyways.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Having just acquired my OG Chinook grail this week, and a Chinook4 last year, I’m really curious to know what a Chinook5 will feature, hence this bump.

Have detailed Glesser-Keating talks actually proceeded such that a prototype has actually been presented at a show? I’ve heard not even a rumor.

If we’re still in early days, I’d like a Chinook5 with an OG-thick AEB-L blade that has a very pronounced high-saber grind (to lessen weight), with skeletonized liners (to lessen weight), with a tad more negative blade-angle (to improve mechanical advantage for the RGEO grip), and with the proven Power Lock.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I love the OG Chinook, but would really want to get my hands on the 3 or 4th version one day. If a 5th comes around, I might be interested as well :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Chinook 4 is definitely something I have looked for and so far it’s been a challenge . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:02 pm
Chinook 4 is definitely something I have looked for and so far it’s been a challenge . Dan

Bento box has one for an unreasonably price lol
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Drubieg wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

You are so correct and yes It has tested my sanity more than once . ;) MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:46 pm
Drubieg wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

You are so correct and yes It has tested my sanity more than once . ;) MG2
After seeing this I had to go and take a look for myself, for… reasons. They’ve very kindly stopped shipping overseas and just saved me $345 plus the ride. I think I’m happy about this 🤔
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm sad I simply thought about buying the Chinook 4 that was available on Lamnia for more than a year for 240€. Now that it's gone I miss it dearly :winking-tongue :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:26 am
I'm sad I simply thought about buying the Chinook 4 that was available on Lamnia for more than a year for 240€. Now that it's gone I miss it dearly :winking-tongue :rofl
The Chinook 5 will probably be at the meet next week. As it was already a prototype last year. ;)
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

apollo wrote: The Chinook 5 will probably be at the meet next week. As it was already a prototype last year. ;)
Oh really, this model is one of the few things I would be excited to see come back in some form.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

apollo wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:57 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:26 am
The Chinook 5 will probably be at the meet next week. As it was already a prototype last year. ;)
:bug-white Image Definitely excited about this upcoming Chinook 5 ! :bug-red Dan
Henry David Thoreau