Chinook 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Murindo

Chinook 5?

Post by Murindo »

Will there be a Chinook 5 or is the Chinook line extinct?

I myself would like to see a return to the Keating Chinook roots with a true recurve Bowie similar to the custom Chinook Ken Onion made for James Keating prior to the Spyderco Chinook 1.

That would have been an expensive knife to make 20 years ago but Spyderco technology and capabilities are so much more advanced now.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Chinook 5?

Post by apollo »

Murindo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:09 am

I myself would like to see a return to the Keating Chinook roots with a true recurve Bowie similar to the custom Chinook Ken Onion made for James Keating prior to the Spyderco Chinook 1.

That would have been an expensive knife to make 20 years ago but Spyderco technology and capabilities are so much more advanced now.
I ask myself the same question sometimes.
But i must confess looking at the chinook 3/4 i rather see no chinook at all then a watered down version again as those 2. I love my chinook 2 and I desperately want a chinook 1. So only a chinook 5 build in golden with hollowground blade and the original handle shape would be a buy for me.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Another Chinook would be just about a must buy for me.
benben

Post by benben »

apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:59 am
Murindo wrote:

But i must confess looking at the chinook 3/4 i rather see no chinook at all then a watered down version again as those 2. I love my chinook 2 and I desperately want a chinook 1. So only a chinook 5 build in golden with hollowground blade and the original handle shape would be a buy for me.
While I do understand and get your point, my Chinook 3 is definitely no slouch!
apollo

Post by apollo »

benben wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:51 am
apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:59 am
Murindo wrote:

While I do understand and get your point, my Chinook 3 is definitely no slouch!
Sorry for my bad choice of words .The Chinook 3 and 4 or not bad designs do not get me wrong. But there so different in comparison that i just can not set them in one line anymore with the first 2 there is also nothing Beaffy left in them while the chinook 1 was the biggest heaviest knife spyderco ever made. Also the s30v that was changed in vg10 was also a bummer in my eyes. And i must confess i really mis the hollowground. The Flat ground does not make the chinook a better knife and estheticly it is not as great as the hollowground. ( But that is just my taste offcourse)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I may be mistaken, but I understood that James Keating wanted those changes in the design, so I'm not sure he would consider the newer models to be watered down.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
apollo

Post by apollo »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:13 am
I may be mistaken, but I understood that James Keating wanted those changes in the design, so I'm not sure he would consider the newer models to be watered down.
If that is true then that is fine with me but my preference will be for the old versions.
The look of that blade in hollowground is to die for!
And it works superbly because i used mine everyday for 5 years straight before i got an og Manix.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:18 am
JRinFL wrote:
If that is true then that is fine with me but my preference will be for the old versions.
And it works superbly because i used mine everyday for 5 years straight before i got an og Manix.
I agree on the hollow grind. I'd like to see more true hollow grinds made on a wheel rather that the lesser flat saber grinds or full flat grinds.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:32 am
apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:18 am
JRinFL wrote:
I agree on the hollow grind. I'd like to see more true hollow grinds made on a wheel rather that the lesser flat saber grinds or full flat grinds.
Oh I'm with both of you guys on more true hollow grinds!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

That blade shape seems to have lost a lot of interest these days. I am awaiting a Forumite to proclaim we need a Chinook Wharncliffe! I get the Keating tie in though and love watching his videos
apollo

Post by apollo »

The only designs i love in full flat is the Manix line but for all the others i rather see hollowgrinds.
Like the Native's i wish those were still hollow and have that nice swedge on the tip. :grin-smiling-eyes
benben

Post by benben »

apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am
The only designs i love in full flat is the Manix line but for all the others i rather see hollowgrinds.
Like the Native's i wish those were still hollow and have that nice swedge on the tip. :grin-smiling-eyes
apollo, I still say 4mm of FFG S30V ain’t no joke! ;)
098C072C-53F4-4FCA-B147-7EB413609A0E.jpeg
91DC7044-D1F2-48D5-B08E-34E5D79477D9.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Personally I always thought the Chinook III was near perfection. It's another great Spyder I was forced to sell to pay medical bills. Yeah that was "LIFE AIN'T FAIR" moment in my life.

But seriously that full flat grind edition of the Chinook was everything I wanted with the possible exception of blade steel selection.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd like a C5 with a swedge and a high hollow grind. Yes, I'm greedy. :beaming-face
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:03 pm
I'd like a C5 with a swedge and a high hollow grind. Yes, I'm greedy. :beaming-face
I’m greedy number 2 ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Murindo

Post by Murindo »

My understanding is that Keating preferred the custom done for him by Ken Onion to be the model but Spyderco decided on the Chinook 1 design and that the 2,3, and 4 were Spyderco's evolution of the design. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the Keating/Onion "Chinook". I'm not saying that Keating disagreed with Spyderco, only that manufacturing practicality and marketing took priority.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageAny Chinook is a great knife . It’s all about preferred tastes . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Murindo

Post by Murindo »

Here is the decades old "Chinook 0" that Ken Onion made to Keatings design with a trainer as well. You can see how the Chinook 1 developed from it.

In the end, if Sal makes a Chinook 5 and it's a Chinook 4 with a newer steel, I'll still buy it. ;)
Attachments
chintrnr2.jpg
apollo

Post by apollo »

benben wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:41 am
apollo wrote:
098C072C-53F4-4FCA-B147-7EB413609A0E.jpeg91DC7044-D1F2-48D5-B08E-34E5D79477D9.jpeg
Nice pictures! No it indeed is no joke. I am Just not a big fan of the ffg on that one. And if i remember correctly even the handle was changed and made more thin and skinny on the 4th gen. So that one was an completely different knife for me. That is why if they would ever make a 5th one i personally hope they get the inspiration of the older ones. But if they don’t no problem i still have my old chinook and my Mamba :smirk
benben

Post by benben »

apollo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:57 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:41 am
apollo wrote:
098C072C-53F4-4FCA-B147-7EB413609A0E.jpeg91DC7044-D1F2-48D5-B08E-34E5D79477D9.jpeg
Nice pictures! No it indeed is no joke. I am Just not a big fan of the ffg on that one. And if i remember correctly even the handle was changed and made more thin and skinny on the 4th gen. So that one was an completely different knife for me. That is why if they would ever make a 5th one i personally hope they get the inspiration of the older ones. But if they don’t no problem i still have my old chinook and my Mamba :smirk
You need a Szabo!