Spyderco knives that you have gifted - any extra info welcome. To whom, why, and how did it hold up?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MournfulCongregant

Spyderco knives that you have gifted - any extra info welcome. To whom, why, and how did it hold up?

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Whether you gave a Military to your deployed son, or a Matriarch 2 to your female friend in South Africa, I want to hear about the Spydercos you have gifted and given away to people in your life for whatever reason.

My fiance needed a quality work-knife, and the M4 Sage 5 was a thing... I thought right, that it would be a perfect EDC for her. She loves it and it lasts a long time, that steel, in that blade-shape, for plenty of general-purpose cutting. I wrote elsewhere on the board that she did not hand me the knife to touch-up for five months, and it was by all accounts still sharp, just not slicing cleanly through things (she has a stricter definition of sharp than I do!).

This has been the only Spyderco I have given away, so far. I have not had the opportunity to give away any others, as I am not just handing them out, but am glad to donate a quality knife of which I have many, to a deserving friend or acquaintance. Other knives I have given include a Walnut Opinel no. 6, and donut-style Tinker to my Mother, as well as a purple Opinel no. 7 to my fiance for apple-slicing, and some special SAKs that are about our bond. I gave her brother a Cold Steel Kudu, only because I had nothing better to give at that time, and I figured he would like something "cool". I intend to get a Bug for both of them, too, because they both LOVE it.

(Side-note: Please, do not discontinue the Bug, I could do without all the other tinies, but I need the Bug in my life. I am happy with the 3cr steel, as are most who buy a knife of the size, it's just steel-nerds wishing when we talk about a Maxamet Bug or whatever. I almost bought a 12c27 bug to make a Spydernox, but thought... wait, that is basically what Vic uses, what is the difference, I'm not doing this for style! I'll just save my time and be happy with the current Bug, and put a K390 Wharncliffe Dfly on a 91mm SAK :winking-tongue)

But, what Spyderco knives have you given away?
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
JSumm

Re: Spyderco knives that you have gifted - any extra info welcome. To whom, why, and how did it hold up?

Post by JSumm »

Para 3 G10, PM 2 G10, Para 3 LW, Delica Ladybug version, a couple of Dragonfly's, a few Chaparrals. I like giving them away more than selling them.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
attila

Re: Spyderco knives that you have gifted - any extra info welcome. To whom, why, and how did it hold up?

Post by attila »

To my sister, I gave an S30V Native 5 LW.
She loved it and lost it. So, she bought the CQI S35VN Native 5 LW.

My first ever Spyderco was a CE Delica 4. A hairline crack developed and I got a green PE Delica as warranty replacement. I still disliked VG-10, so I had no love for the Delica. I gave it to my brother, who has used the snot out of it.

Just a few months ago, I found a gently used camo PM2 for a great price. My other brother has always been more of a camo guy than average, so I thought of him. I didn’t even sharpen it, specifically because I know he’s capable in that dept. I gave it to him during our family get-together in late June. He was quite excited about it and appreciated that I didn’t sharpen it. He proceeded to show me all of the sharpening stones he travels with.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

So far I've just given 3 ladybugs to three ladies in my life, but I've got a model or two here or there I wanted to do a blade swap or dye job on and never did, or, I just didn't like the model as much as I thought I would, that are just waiting for their rightful owners to come along, and for us both to be surprised

Speaking of brothers, mine is a benchmade4life kinda guy and I'm gonna have to convert him with a gift one of these days. He laughed the other day when I fed him the "made for the hand, not the eye" line >:[
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:50 pm
So far I've just given 3 ladybugs to three ladies in my life, but I've got a model or two here or there I wanted to do a blade swap or dye job on and never did, or, I just didn't like the model as much as I thought I would, that are just waiting for their rightful owners to come along, and for us both to be surprised

Speaking of brothers, mine is a benchmade4life kinda guy and I'm gonna have to convert him with a gift one of these days. He laughed the other day when I fed him the "made for the hand, not the eye" line >:[
As someone who appreciates performance above all else, I enjoy Spyderco's focus on function. But the funny thing is, the first thing that got me interested in Spyderco, was just how darn cool they looked! :hand-over-mouth Maybe my eyes had just figured out what my brain hadn't yet, that Spydercos perform, but I thought it funny when I found out many people just can't abide by the looks.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’ve gifted knives over the years , even on the Forum . My latest was to a friend who is a massive collector and it’s very difficult to figure out what he has and his tastes can be eclectic. So went out on a limb and gave him a DLT Dragonfly CPM20V exclusive. He really liked ! Mission accomplished. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I gifted a Z-Wear Mule to the husband of a couple that we rent a cabin from in Indian Lake, New York in the Adirondacks. He saw a few of the knives I carry and mentioned that he thought my SPY27 Mule looked like a good hunting/skinning knife. So, I sent him the Mule with Halpern scales and Leather sheath from the SFO site. He really liked the knife but since he's about 6'5", he asked if I minded if he changed the scales because they didn't fill his hand. I told him it was his knife and he could do what he wanted with it. They're a great couple and my wife and I just wanted to show our appreciation for the use of their cabin.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

I'm a union journeyman wireman by trade, and I occasionally am assigned an apprentice. If Ive got them long enough, and they're trying, I give them a knife. We are hard on our tools so I don't usually see the point of something brand new. I watch the secondary markets for stuff that works well for what we do, I clean it up and sharpen it, and they're usually thrilled. Gives me a chance to see if they are interested in learning to sharpen as well, but less seem to want to learn about that these days. I've gifted a few g10 Para 3s and a couple Manix 2s, even a military, among some other American made stuff like skylines and a deka.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I gifted two S30V dragonflies. One of them is now the knife that my friend EDCs, and the other one sits in a purse and doesn't get used all that much.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I live in Florida so I have many visitors.

The last knives I gave away were to my Colombian in laws. All brand new, Spyderco Resilience, SOG fixed blade, Victorinox Pink Cadet, and a pink QSP Parrot. Ive gave them others in the past, Victorinox paring knives, Ontario Rat 1, and other Chinese knives. I hate the thought if I give them an expensive knife only to have the airport security in Colombia take it for themselves.

Before that. My sister and brother in law were here. I sent them home with a brand new PM2 Sprint S45vn diamond arc scales and a yellow Z cut.

The trip before I gave brother in law a brand new Tenacious.

The trip before that I gave the same brother in law a Ontario Rat 1 that he has carried at work everyday till this day. Has nice wear on the clip and scales. The PM2 is his weekend carry.

Forgot, I bought my best friend out of state a Manix 2 Blue Translucent for his Birthday last year
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I've given a pink Native 5 LW and a purple Delica to my daughter. She uses them for opening packages and whatnot.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I don't give away expensive spydercos anymore. They usually don't get appreciated and usually lost or never carried. If I give a knife its a $10 gas station knife.....sorry losers.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

I received my first Spyderco as a gift while deployed in 09. I helped another unit in need and in return they gave me a very nice delica. I was used to carrying knives under 40 dollars so obviously the performance of the delica blew those out of the water. It was my only knife for 5 years. I had a panic attack when I thought I had lost it! I found the knife a few hours later and it was retired right then and there. I could have easily bought another one. I am lucky enough to have several dealers locally.Sticking with the gift theme of this thread, the point is, that knife was a GIFT! I absolutely could not replace it. I have since gifted some myself to give someone else the same feeling I got when I received mine. My Dad has gotten more than anyone. He uses them and unfortunately absues them haha so I'm always trading him out something else while I fix whatever he's managed to mess up haha. He has a delica,a manix, an autonomy 2, and just recently gifted him a bow river. I gifted my mom an ambitious to keep in her purse. My daughter got a delica for Christmas. I gifted some very good friends of mine a rhino and a techno 2 for Christmas last year. I gifted my tattoo artist a zome endura after my session. It was only the right thing to do after he did an awesome job with my "bug" logo tattoo. I definitely got bit by the Spyder and hope to share that with others this year again too!
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I have given away 3. I gave my cousin a well used native, the one with the bayonet style swedge. He needed a good knife and asked my advice. He used it for several years mechanicing. I gave a friend a resilience cause he was looking for a big knife. He’s an electrician and he uses it like crazy. Spyderco does 8cr right. The third was a brown and dlc Manix 2. I gave it to a friend who uses it every day. He traded me a box of ammo for it because he couldn’t accept a gift that expensive. I really hated that knife. I wanted to like it but I couldn’t. He really likes it and has used it for his daily carry for over a year now. It has been used to completely break down several deer, and for all manner of tasks. It feels good to give someone a spyderco who will use it for its intended purpose and beyond.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I gave my brother 3 nice Spydercos. I seriously doubt they have ever left the box. My wife occasionally uses the ones I have gifted her, and will occasionally return the ones she "borrowed" from me. I gave a friend my only Native 3, who may or may not have actually used it once. People don't appreciate what they don't understand.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ive given several spyderco knives to different people and the only one that gets used a lot is a native lightweight given to my father. I try to sharpen it for him a few times a year. It’s blunt and chipped every time I see it. Any doubt or gripe I’ve ever had with spyderco disappears when i see the abuse this knife goes through and continues to serve my father well. I don’t have to worry about him when I know he has that knife on him and not some cheap POS.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
phaust

Post by phaust »

My brother has from me a Caly 3 or 3.5 g10, the 2013 forum Native green G10, a Manix 2 XL, and a Lum Chinese. All still going strong. I think the Caly is the only one he carries, and the others see house duties.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I've gifted a few. Usually as Christmas or birthday presents. A couple Delicas, an Endura a Squeak, a Kiwi, a Pingo, a UKPK and a Matriarch are the first ones that come to mind.

Most people use them for a month or so. Then they end up lost or laying in drawer somewhere. But when someone appreciates it and actually uses it, it's very rewarding.

I had the pink Squeak come back to me after giving it as a gift. I gave it to my brother's then-girlfriend as a Christmas present. When they broke up, he found it and gave it back to me, still unused in the box. It gets used now.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I've gifted a few Tenacious and Bow Rivers to various people. My dad and brother in law each got a Tenacious and appreciated them, although I have no idea how they did long term.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I gave away Clipitool and C08 for charity auction few years ago. Knives were also given to me before. Also once I won Stretch sprint run with grey handle and san mai blade, gave it away for some charity auction.

I "helped" my father to get Tenacious. He still use it as main edc. It holds up well after 14 years.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.