Magnacut Rock Salt???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NJCutter

Magnacut Rock Salt???

Post by NJCutter »

Any shot we will see an updated Schempp Rock Salt in Magnacut? I am losing hope finding a pre owned Rock Salt or even VG10 version.

@edschempp @ericglesser @spyderco
Spyderco-Schempp-Rock1.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-211831_YouTube.jpg
Urkilnmesmalls

Re: Magnacut Rock Salt???

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

NJCutter wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:59 pm
Any shot we will see an updated Schempp Rock Salt in Magnacut? I am losing hope finding a pre owned Rock Salt or even VG10 version.

@edschempp @ericglesser @spyderco

Spyderco-Schempp-Rock1.jpgScreenshot_20220821-211831_YouTube.jpg
I hope so cause I have always wanted a Rock Salt and never found one at a price I could justify
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I super want this.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I love the Rock Salt design and would be interested to see a Magnacut version.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I don’t see myself passing it up . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
NJCutter

Post by NJCutter »

CC @Michaeljanich
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I'd be all over this. I have a Schempp Rock & it is my favourite mid-size outdoors fixed blade, over even the Ka-bar BK7 (another outstanding fixed-blade in a similar size, but more of a generalist). The stainlessness is a great feature especially during extended forays outdoors & I don't find the knife's VG10 lacking in toughness for my purposes.

The Schempp Rock is especially great for delimbing & clearing brush (it's like a miniature machete) & makes up for its relative lack of blade mass with ergonomics that facilitate snap cuts. A production Schempp Rock Salt in Magna-Cut (or even LC200N) would be an awesome reintroduction of what I think is one of Spyderco's more underappreciated designs deserving of wider recognition.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, I sure would love that.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Instant buy.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'd be in for a large fixed blade in MagnaCut.
NJCutter

Post by NJCutter »

Thx for engaging. I will try to email this thread to Eric Glesser.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I'll take one if it happens.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I love this style of knife, this size recurve with some negative angle and dialed in balance is right up my alley. I think the design is good, obviously, it’s from Ed Schempp. I’ve always wanted one even. I actually really want Spyderco to make more of this sort of knife because I’ve always been vocal of my love for recurves and Spyderco fixed blades (there are also many I plan I getting eventually which aren’t being made anymore, like this RockSalt).

That said, I’d really prefer a few changes to better fit my preferences for what I think would a more functional knife or, especially if the price is pulled too high by the tides or addition of a steel like MagnaCut, I’d be on the fence.

I understand that changes reduce the likelihood of it being made again and may complicate this thread. Or maybe my opinion is stupid and everyone can ignore it accordingly.

I just think that it’s less optimized for use as a small machete/large knife tool, and better designed for Ed Schempp cut stuff in a competition. What will/do we use this for?

Personally, I’d round off/tone down the point over the SpyderHole, modify the choil slightly to get more edge, and design the general choil area with more varied or flexible grips in mind.
Potentially extend the handle scales further forward on the top to compliment the above changes, if needed. The way it’s like clipped off and slopes below the spine area where your thumb or palm would apply pressure in common grips is not my style in terms of comfort or ergos, although it’s not so bad and changing that would mess with the hole placement and balance slightly.

I say this with a lot of love for Ed Schempp Spyderco designs, which I hope comes through here in the amount of thought I put into this knife design, but the RockSalt one is the one I’d change.
Lots of these are things I specifically tried to solve in a design of mine that I sketched out a long time ago. I think it was probably subconsciously inspired by this knife when I first pictured it and I now realize that the process I went through when designing it was essentially me ironing out my thoughts on this style of knife (that I’ve now partly shared here).
…My design I’ve been referencing looks nothing like the RockSalt, but it’s a similar size, negative angle, has a choil, and the intended balance, use, etc are comparable…

Sometimes I’m not sure if I’m too long winded or didn’t go into enough detail or if it’s best I don’t comment at all. I hope what I’m thinking here comes across decently, at least.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Instant buy for me.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
malice

Post by malice »

Yeah, that would get a definite go from me too.

I have a VG10 Schempp Rock and would love a state of the art Rock Salt.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I've got the VG-10 version, and am a big fan of the design. It is definitely enlightened. I'd be interested in a MagnaCut version, but I would probably be price sensitive. I just don't use fixed blades as much as I wish I did.
MNOSD member 0030