Canada's knife laws just cost me almost $400.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
huyfishin

Re: Canada's knife laws just cost me almost $400.

Post by huyfishin »

VandymanG wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:59 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:24 am
i'm from Canada. We have the most wack laws lol I'm allowed to fly with a dragonfly in Canada. I can carry a blade of any length as long as a samurai sword on the street legally. But if its a folding knife it can get confiscated at the border. I dont know what to say. If you don't want to risk losing anything expensive bring something cheap. If you don't want to lose anything just bring a fixed blade. Fix blades don't get seized.

EDIT: the crazy part is when it gets seized. apparently CBSA and CATSA agents that seize it get first dips. After that it gets auctioned away in boxes full of multitools and blades to be on the street anyways. Thats what i've been told from a retired CATSA agent.

Wow, thank you for the info. Not sure I would have believed the knife on a plane thing if you hadn’t provided a picture. Is there a reason behind the knife laws in Canada?
Yup I fly a lot too. Sometimes catsa agents will take it out to measure the blade. Sometimes it passes through security and xray without anyone checking.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin