MagnaCut Production Folders

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RamZar

Re: MagnaCut Production Folders

Post by RamZar »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:24 pm
The US-made Kershaw Bel-Air was recently announced. Looks like Kershaw is eyeing some of the Bugout's market share.

https://www.dlttrading.com/kershaw-6105-bel-air

Nice! Just what I’d carry in SoCal. DuraLock is Kershaw’s version of the ambidextrous Axis lock on KVT bearings. Very slim package with a 3” Blackwash Reverse Tanto MagnaCut blade, weighing under 3 ounces, aluminum scales and made in the U.S. Looks like it’ll be around $150-$165. It’s about the size of the Benchmade 945 with S30V & Aluminum scales which is $200+.

Here’s Kershaw’s MagnaCut:

CPM MAGNACUT

This Crucible powdered metallurgy steel eliminates chronium during heat treatment, allowing for vanadium and niobium to form greater carbides near the cutting edge. This formula creates an exceptional balance of edge retention, toughness, and corrosion resistance.

HRC: 60-63
TOUGHNESS: 8/10
EDGE RETENTION: 7.5/10
CORROSION RESISTANCE: 9/10
SHARPENING EASE: 2/10

Last edited by RamZar on Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Coming soon .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Hogue Mysto with beautifully milled titanium and MagnaCut are Limited Editions which explains the high price.

Last edited by RamZar on Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Cold Steel Recon M1 folder with 4" Black Stonewashed MagnaCut blade, Tri-Ad lock, Black G-10 and made in Italy for about $260 (hopefully a street price of $200). It’s not out yet (looks like April 2024) and was shown at SHOT Show 2024.

https://youtu.be/szQjtfPm-bk?si=Kn6zsA8YSy0-qaKd
vivi

Post by vivi »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:35 am
Cold Steel Recon M1 folder with 4" Black Stonewashed MagnaCut blade, Tri-Ad lock, Black G-10 and made in Italy for about $260 (hopefully a street price of $200). It’s not out yet (looks like April 2024) and was shown at SHOT Show 2024.

https://youtu.be/szQjtfPm-bk?si=Kn6zsA8YSy0-qaKd
I'll be keeping an eye on this one, but the price needs to get down much lower for me. S35VN Recon 1's were just on sale for $55 at midway, and aren't hard to find for under $90, and being linerless dlc coated stainless they do well against corrosion.

If they can price them competitively with the magnacut chief that will make for a fun head to head comparison. Chief will be lighter and have a better tip for piercing while the Recon will be a little more hand filling.
:unicorn
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:52 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:35 am
I'll be keeping an eye on this one, but the price needs to get down much lower for me. S35VN Recon 1's were just on sale for $55 at midway, and aren't hard to find for under $90, and being linerless dlc coated stainless they do well against corrosion.

If they can price them competitively with the magnacut chief that will make for a fun head to head comparison. Chief will be lighter and have a better tip for piercing while the Recon will be a little more hand filling.

The reason I mentioned a street price of $200 for the Recon M1 MagnaCut Coated & G-10 is because Native Chief S30V Satin & G-10 is currently $198.80 before anticipated price hikes.

Also, the upcoming ParaMilitary2 DLC MagnaCut & G-10 is currently $220.50 but that could also go up in price before being released.

Edited Spyderco street prices:

— Native Chief S30V Satin Blade & G-10: $213.00
— Native Chief Salt MagnaCut Satin Blade & FRN: $191.25
— Paramilitary2 Salt MagnaCut Black DLC Blade & G-10: $236.25
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Lionsteel Skinny framelock, listed as coming soon, in both aluminum and titanium integral frames, with various inlays.

https://www.dlttrading.com/lionsteel-sk ... nvas-inlay
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:34 pm
Lionsteel Skinny framelock, listed as coming soon, in both aluminum and titanium integral frames, with various inlays. Made in Italy by LionSteel.

https://www.dlttrading.com/lionsteel-sk ... nvas-inlay

LionSteel Skinny is nice and skinny. 3.3” blade length and weighing 3.25 oz. Titanium handles (Blue, Bronze or Grey) come with carbon fiber inlays ($290) and the aluminum ones (Black, Red, FDE or Green) with Micarta inlays ($170). Removable flipper tab. Reversible pocket clip. Made in Italy by LionSteel.

Last edited by RamZar on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

MKM Yipper with Sheepsfoot blade of MagnaCut steel, G-10 and Crossbar Lock for $140. Made in Italy by Fox Knives.

Total length: 173 mm - 6.81"
Blade length: 72 mm - 2.83"
Blade thickness: 2.5 mm - 0.10"
Weight: 65 gr - 2.29 oz
Blade steel: CPM MAGNACUT
Blade steel hardness: HRC 61/63
Blade finish: Stonewashed or Black
Opening system: Thumb stud
Locking system: Crossbar lock
Handle material: G10
Handle colour: Blue or Black
Sheath: Cordura sheath

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Viper Knives Moon with stonewashed blade of MagnaCut steel (60-62HRC) and Button Lock for $175-$220. Made in Italy by Viper Knives. Price is dependent on the contoured handle materials which come in various colors: Micarta, G-10 & Fat Carbon. Blade length is just under 3”. Weighs a whopping 5 ounces due to the stainless steel liners.

chronovore

Post by chronovore »

This is a wonderful knife. Fit, finish, action, and lock-up are all excellent. The 2.5mm blade thickness helps it to be a nice slicer too.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

James Brand The Wells MagnaCut Button Lock Aluminum Scales Flipper. Made in U.S. Way too pricey at $425-$449 depending on coating (nice Rose Gold PVD Coating on one model). It should be priced $225-$250.

— Blade Length: 2.875" / 7.3cm
— Overall Length: 7.25" / 18.4cm
— Weight: 3.3oz / 99g
— Lock Type: Button Lock
— Carry Orientation: Right Handed
— Blade Steel: CPM Magnacut
— Blade Type: Sheepsfoot / Wharncliffe
— Scale Material: Aerospace Grade Heat Treated Aluminum 6061
— Blade Hardness: 63 HRC
— Clip Material: Bent 420 Stainless Steel
— Hardware: Stainless Steel
— Blade Grind: High Flat Grind
— Bearings: Stainless Steel Caged Ball — Bearings With Steel Washers
— Designed In: Portland, OR
— Made In: USA

riclaw

Post by riclaw »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:58 pm
James Brand The Wells MagnaCut Button Lock Aluminum Scales Flipper. Made in U.S. Way too pricey at $425-$449 depending on coating (nice Rose Gold PVD Coating on one model). It should be priced $225-$250.
I saw $225-$250 and thought, "Hey, the James Brand is finally coming to their sense..." Oh. $425+?!! Nevermind."
:spiral-eyes
- Richard
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:26 pm
RamZar wrote:
I saw $225-$250 and thought, "Hey, the James Brand is finally coming to their sense..." Oh. $425+?!! Nevermind."

A ridiculous price of $425-$449 when a Kershaw Bel Air goes for about 150-$165. Same steel and same aluminum scales.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:32 pm
riclaw wrote:
RamZar wrote:

A ridiculous price of $425-$449 when a Kershaw Bel Air goes for about 150-$165. Same steel and same aluminum scales.
Kershaw's also coming out with a double edge variant of the Livewire to follow up on their Tanto and Spear Point. This blade shape is also offered in Magnacut.
https://www.knifecenter.com/find-the-be ... 20livewire
- Richard
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:41 pm
RamZar wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:32 pm
riclaw wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Kershaw's also coming out with a double edge variant of the Livewire to follow up on their Tanto and Spear Point. This blade shape is also offered in Magnacut.
https://www.knifecenter.com/find-the-be ... 20livewire

Kershaw sells a ton of U.S. made automatics. The following Kershaw Autos come with MagnaCut steel blade:

— Launch 4
— Launch 15
— LiveWire OTF
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Looking through these designs, I'm gobsmacked at how many of them keep your index finger a mile away from the heel of the blade. I really appreciate being able to choke up on the blade for precise control...I don't do a lot of slashing at arm's length.

I guess that's another reason I'm such a Spyderco die-hard.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:40 pm
Looking through these designs, I'm gobsmacked at how many of them keep your index finger a mile away from the heel of the blade. I really appreciate being able to choke up on the blade for precise control...I don't do a lot of slashing at arm's length.

I guess that's another reason I'm such a Spyderco die-hard.

To each their own.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:

Now that's what I call a neutral handle.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I like flipper opening because there's nothing on the blade for an opener (thumb studs or hole) and when it opens the flipper tab acts as a guard.