Any Jesters coming down the pike?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bleasure

Any Jesters coming down the pike?

Post by bleasure »

I've looked around for news but haven't seen any. These obviously tend to come out sporadically and suddenly as dealer exclusives so I doubt there's much to share on this front, but my car keys are begging for one. The secondary market is mostly 100-200% markups, even in normally sober places, so I'll be waiting for a newbie. Any info much appreciated
steelcity16

Re: Any Jesters coming down the pike?

Post by steelcity16 »

bleasure wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:46 pm
I've looked around for news but haven't seen any. These obviously tend to come out sporadically and suddenly as dealer exclusives so I doubt there's much to share on this front, but my car keys are begging for one. The secondary market is mostly 100-200% markups, even in normally sober places, so I'll be waiting for a newbie. Any info much appreciated

I don't know of any new ones unfortunately, but hopefully the success of the two recent exclusives has been enough to show Sal and crew that it is worthy of being brought into the production fold. A K390 PE and a blacked out H1 SE Salt would both surely be popular!

I am first in line for any and all future Jester releases!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
olywa

Post by olywa »

Love to see a Jester in K390 or Magnacut. I missed the last 2 releases and can't wait for the next.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I ran a series of Polls in December about a Jester Sprint for 2023. These were the results of that Poll. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91371&p=1582793

If people are still interested. Saying so is always a good way to help the process along.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

A regular production FRN k390 would probably not be a major PITA to implement and it would be freakin’ awesome from a European availability perspective.

…It’s nice to dream…
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:18 pm
A regular production FRN k390 would probably not be a major PITA to implement and it would be freakin’ awesome from a European availability perspective.

…It’s nice to dream…
I would actually think the chances of that would be high for a regular production Jester. It would fit right in.

I’ve been carrying the GITD Jester a lot around the house the past few weeks. Would welcome any other Jester variation as well.
- Nick :bug-red
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Always up for another Jester.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The issue is getting people to agree to what they want. Like I said we did a pretty extensive poll, less than a year ago and it's already been forgotten.

A Blue or Burgundy Micarta Jester with Magnacut was the winner. With sal saying Magnacut wasn't a possibility for Seki, we went with Cruwear.

Outside of that I don't need another Jester. I'm happy with my two FRN exclusives. Truthfully I love the Jester, but I rarely carry knives without a pocket clip. It sits on my desk and I open mail with it. Same is true of my ladybugs/manbugs, great knives that see little actual use. The Dragonfly with it's pocket clip is the smallest knife I regularly carry and use.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be happy with a salty jester, or VG10 & safety/neon orange.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I want a simple $40-50 spy27 version. I need 4-5 to gift out for Xmas.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SPY27 would be great too!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I absolutely think the Jester should be brought back to regular production (maybe added to the K390 line?), and who doesn't love exclusives and sprints too!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:13 pm
The issue is getting people to agree to what they want. Like I said we did a pretty extensive poll, less than a year ago and it's already been forgotten.

A Blue or Burgundy Micarta Jester with Magnacut was the winner. With sal saying Magnacut wasn't a possibility for Seki, we went with Cruwear.

Outside of that I don't need another Jester. I'm happy with my two FRN exclusives. Truthfully I love the Jester, but I rarely carry knives without a pocket clip. It sits on my desk and I open mail with it. Same is true of my ladybugs/manbugs, great knives that see little actual use. The Dragonfly with it's pocket clip is the smallest knife I regularly carry and use.
I respect the poll, but..
A Seki made knife with Micarta.. it’s going to be expensive. Small, expensive knives has a limited audience, so it’s likely going to be a sprint/limited batch. If at all feasible.

On the other hand, it seems to me the model has enough of a following that a regular production FRN model with world wide distribution should stand a fair chance of being a profitable endeavor.

To make it as low hanging/feasible as possible, I’d be happy with any of the Seki steels currently used in models of that size/stock thickness, but k390 is certainly my top pick of those.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would like to see a fully serrated edge model, though it the Jester is not my favorite. Glow in the Dark Salt would be next level.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

I am excited that so many people are into jesters, it makes it feel likelier that another will show up before long. Though I also have a lot of sympathy for folks sitting on the production side of things. I can imagine how difficult or frustrating it would be to try to take folk's input seriously, which means trying to A. informally weight it according to like, 40 different factors, and B. find a way to navigate the reality of everyone intrinsically wanting a different blade shape, steel, size, handle material, lock, name, production facility, etc for every single product, every single time, no matter what. The easy thing to do is just... not do either, but then you'd run other risks and possibly run up against your own ethics. And there's a real value offered by the free research, engaged feedback and input, free marketing etc available here, so it's not like it's just one-sided.

Still, that's why I'm happy to learn whether anything is already planned. TBH, once you own [1] good knife (by any definition) for non-kitchen applications, the rest are, let's face it, largely jewelry. So I don't feel that choose-y myself.

Honestly, I'd love another run of the GITD 20CV versions that already exists. That said... if a new exclusive was in the offing, or a new production model started, I'd be happy with most of what's already been suggested personally. I never get tired of dark greens on the bluer, less olive side of things; sage, salts, or bright colors to locate a dropped one like neon, confetti, whatever! A DLC blade on a green would be neat, you don't see over many black & green combos and DLC looks *really* good on jesters for some reason. For such a little guy, long-lasting edge retention is way more important than toughness to me, so anything above 600TCC on Larrin Thomas' chart seems ideal. A Z-Max or T15 or Vanadis 8 would be awesome simply for their rareness + retention, but tbh anything in the 500+ range would make me very happy.

It sure is easy to write a much longer post than you meant to, when you're avoiding your own writing deadlines. TL;DR, any jester will do for me, and looking forward to whatever pops up in the future. :respect
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:16 am
I would like to see a fully serrated edge model, though it the Jester is not my favorite. Glow in the Dark Salt would be next level.
I have a stainless handle SE Jester from when it was in regular production. It's pretty sweet.

(I kind of want to see a Manbug-sized version... a Court Jester?)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

yowzer wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I have a stainless handle SE Jester from when it was in regular production. It's pretty sweet.

That would be something to consider. The Manbug is easier to which hold on. A fully serrated edged Court Jester.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:50 pm
yowzer wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:41 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

That would be something to consider. The Manbug is easier to which hold on. A fully serrated edged Court Jester.

Yeah, a Manster would be a really great little knife!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The standard Jester is perfect. No need for a new model. Frn in a new colour, and a salt version would be awesome.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If we are dreaming, I’ll take a white Jester with a black blade to match my Native from GPK.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001