My thoughts on the Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger_Ike

My thoughts on the Shaman

Post by Ranger_Ike »

First off, I am not a “reviewer”. Trying to write all this out has made me re-realize how horrible I am at conveying my thoughts. Also, this isn’t a knife use review, or a specs review. This is just a butchered attempt by me to get my thoughts out there on how I feel about the Shaman.

I’m going to start with the price. I have put off buying the Shaman for quite a while because of the price. If I could buy the PM2 which is also G10, compression lock, and has better steel a lot of times (20cv was available at the time, and cruwear) why would I spend 30-40 more and get the shaman? It just made no sense when looking at the specs on paper. No way I was going to spend $210 on a shaman.

The last part of that is still true. Why? Because the prices jumped and I spent $231 on the shaman. Was it worth the price? ABSOLUTELY.

So what changed my opinion? I found one in stock local and handled it just to see how it was. I bought it on the spot.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the shaman was the G10. The G10 on the shaman is beautiful. In my opinion it appears much nicer than the G10 on my other Spyderco’s. It might just be the milling that brings out the almost carbon fiber-like pattern, but it also FEELS nicer. More dense perhaps? Anyways, I don’t know if it’s the same or not, but it feels and looks much more high quality. I’ll go as far as saying, feel and looks, they are my favorite scales on any knife I own. I also love that the PB washers are visible through the pocket clip holes. It is subtle but it stands out against the black of the g10 and gives it a nice look. I realize this is true for other Spyderco’s, not just a Shaman thing, but I just noticed it more on the shaman and thought I’d note it.

Another thing that stands out is the stonewashed finish on the blade, backspacer and clip. It has me wishing Spyderco used this finish on more knives. The stonewashed look against the beautiful G10 give it a very nice look.

The lines on the Shaman keep that same uninterrupted arc from tip to rear that the native 5 has. It’s something that sets it apart from all other knives in my collection. I love it.

The Shaman feels much more like a hand made knife than all my other Spyderco’s. I don’t mean this as an insult, I love my PM2’s, but just trying to get my thoughts out there: The PM2 feels more cookie cutter when comparing it to the Shaman. The Shaman has a hand crafted feel to it. My apologies for that sounding negative to the PM2, I don’t mean it that way. I just don’t know how to speak well enough to explain my thoughts… the Shaman is on another level.

Weight is balancing act on knives. IMO, Too light and a knife feels cheap. Too heavy, and it feels cheap. Not sure how that is true, but for me it is. The Shaman is heavy. But it isn’t heavier than it feels like it should be. It feels just like what you would expect it to feel like. And I think that is a good thing.

What Spyderco has done is made a knife that feels both hard use and classy at the same time.

After having it it hand I also began to think of the extra steps the milling, stonewashed blade etc went in to this knife. That all has to add up. I’m not going to pretend I know how that all works, but any way you slice it, I still think it’s worth the price, easily.

So what did I learn from this? Something I learned already, you can’t always compare spec sheets and think the pricing should also compare. The spec sheets don’t account for the small details, and the small details sometimes make a huge difference.

If you are on the fence with buying a Shaman, I highly recommend picking one up and handling it. Internet pics and videos do not do it justice.

Ike
Manixguy@1994

Re: My thoughts on the Shaman

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think you did a fine job and have opened my eyes to possibly looking at one in the future . I had one of the first to come out and sold it after buying it in parking lot at a knife show . I felt the scales were too slick and it put me off . I need to give one another try . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Thank you Dan! I agree, the scales are more slick than I usually prefer too. For me, the jimping and shape of the handle seem to really help getting a good hold on it though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm carrying my DLC/SE version today. I was actually thinking the exact same thing about the almost carbon fiber like appearance of the scales in the right light. I think the difference in feeling is because so many people are used to feeling blocky flat textured slab scales that these feel more like something from mother nature than from a factory.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well said, Ike. The Shaman is 100% about details, and they sure are fine details.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:04 am
I'm carrying my DLC/SE version today. I was actually thinking the exact same thing about the almost carbon fiber like appearance of the scales in the right light. I think the difference in feeling is because so many people are used to feeling blocky flat textured slab scales that these feel more like something from mother nature than from a factory.
That’s a very good overlooked point . Definitely an oversight on my part . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I also was on the fence about the shaman and its pricing for over a year. The knife intrigued me and I know the price will only continue to rise so I bought one, quickly followed up with another about a month later! I love this knife and is easily one of my favorite spydercos in my collection.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I don’t think a Shaman will do much that I can’t already do, but I too have been thinking of trying one! I’ve wondered whether I should get the base model, already expensive, or step up to a Micarta version which for me matches the vibe of the design better. The description of the scales in the OP doesn’t make it any easier, as they sure sound nice…
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

The quality of the scales together with the stonewashed finish make it much more than just a standard black and satin knife. The micarta would be great too, but I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I like my Shaman, but to me it's heavier than it needs to be. It would be perfect an oz or two less, I'm definitely looking forward to the trimmed down, sleeker Shaman in the works.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:11 am
I like my Shaman, but to me it's heavier than it needs to be. It would be perfect an oz or two less, I'm definitely looking forward to the trimmed down, sleeker Shaman in the works.
Yes, 3 mm blade stock and pillars instead backspacer.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thank you for not measuring. I enjoyed reading your impressions.

Impressions feed my curiosity. Comparing them has led me to many Spydies I would never have considered.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:04 am
Thank you for not measuring. I enjoyed reading your impressions.

Impressions feed my curiosity. Comparing them has led me to many Spydies I would never have considered.
You are welcome, and thank you too. I understand.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:44 pm
I don’t think a Shaman will do much that I can’t already do, but I too have been thinking of trying one! I’ve wondered whether I should get the base model, already expensive, or step up to a Micarta version which for me matches the vibe of the design better. The description of the scales in the OP doesn’t make it any easier, as they sure sound nice…
The micarta scales are top notch. I’m sure he G-10 are nice too, but there’s something about micarta that complements the low-hotspot design of the Shaman particularly well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have 4. 2 s30v (one being dlc), blade hq dlc m4/jade, and a z wear micarta. They're all great, but I use my standard s30v the most. Why? I don't know, but it's my OG, have had it for 2 years, and it's just awesome. The others are too, but something about the first one...

I will have more. I'd love a cf/s90 model, but I can't justify the secondary cost.

They are perfect imo. Great ergos, strong blade yet an excellent cutter. Carrying my original today, actually!

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

the hands know.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

In last two years I bought some fancy titanium knives but when I purchased Shaman, it was like comeback of good old friend. For years I was G-10 guy. That smooth handle is really comfortable and not that slippery like many says.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Really, really great review brother. Like you, I have been putting off getting a Shaman for a while now. Largely due to price, but also due to my personal question of "can the Shaman do anything that my Manix 2 or PM2 cannot do?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:10 pm
Really, really great review brother. Like you, I have been putting off getting a Shaman for a while now. Largely due to price, but also due to my personal question of "can the Shaman do anything that my Manix 2 or PM2 cannot do?"
For me it was Shaman VS Manix XL.

Funny how different peoples impressions can be of the same model.

viewtopic.php?t=89067

I didn't like how it felt designed around the choked up grip. Too much space between my hand and the edge not choked up and a blade heavy balance.

Nice ergos for folks that prefer using their knives choked up but I prefer gripping behind the choil in most cases. More comfortable for me.

My zwear example was definitely one of the best spydies I've handled in terms of fit and finish. Very well made. I just prefer a lot of designs to the Shaman......Chief, Police, Stretch XL, Pacific Salt etc.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:28 pm

Nice ergos for folks that prefer using their knives choked up but I prefer gripping behind the choil in most cases. More comfortable for me.

This for me too, but I do really like it on the choil. I have very high hopes for the non choil version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David