2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fly Fishing Rick

Re: 2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:16 pm
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:30 pm
I used the Chaparral for my submission because it's what I had on me when I decided to take the photo on my walk home after an evening of trout fishing. I only caught one fish but it was completely worth it, noting better than evening fly fishing! I almost always carry this knife because I consider it to be the perfect every day carry knife for me and it looks great and fits in my watch pocket.
Great picture, might be my favorite so far, including my own.

It’s really great how you kept so much detail with such strong back lighting. Well beyond my skill. If I tried the knife and post would be very dark.
Thank you very much! The Chaparral just photographs really well, I'm sure it's no surprise to some that it's what I entered given my post history lol. The original photo was darker around the foreground but I was able to clean it up a bit. Most of my photos with bright back lighting don't turn out very well but when they do they're usually quite good.
-Jimmy
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:09 am
KnOeFz wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:11 am
Do you get any feedback in your mail after uploading the image?
It sais uploaded but can't seem to doublecheck all the info I provided on the first page you get before uploading....
Same, no thank you or confirmation. Uploaded the picture then the info part all went away. I am guessing it worked otherwise there wont be too many pictures for the calendar.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
, guess its ok then, 12 white pages are not gonna happen :winking-tongue
Last edited by KnOeFz on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

It’s funny, I also noticed that iPhones take better pictures than big DSLR cameras for this type of photography. Yes, there might be some user error with the DSLR... haha. But I look at my picture taken by my wife’s solid $800 DSLR vs test/setup photos with my iPhone and the iPhone is just better. The colors are more saturated, much finer details and more depth. Not saying that my picture is not a winner, because it is (hint hint), but it is amazing how great of a picture a phone can take.

So anyone worried that their camera is not good enough… don’t worry a iPhone will be more than great.

I already have a few pictures for next year on my iPhone that look awesome. Great contest as always!
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
miohin

Post by miohin »

Here is my entry:

I wanted to convey lightweight and balance, two things that the Manix 2 Lightweight excels in. Alongside these properties, the Manix 2 pictured was my first Spyderco after a Tenacious that really pushed me down the Spyderhole (so to speak).

The environment in which it is seen is a former military base, now state park, adding ties to many Spyderco design inspirations and uses. The park serves as a bit of a respite for me from the urban environment in which I live, much like knives do from work during my time off.
Lurker
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

miohin wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:51 pm
Here is my entry:

I wanted to convey lightweight and balance, two things that the Manix 2 Lightweight excels in. Alongside these properties, the Manix 2 pictured was my first Spyderco after a Tenacious that really pushed me down the Spyderhole (so to speak).

The environment in which it is seen is a former military base, now state park, adding ties to many Spyderco design inspirations and uses. The park serves as a bit of a respite for me from the urban environment in which I live, much like knives do from work during my time off.
Cool pic…. So… did you cut the tree down with the Manix?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
miohin

Post by miohin »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:04 pm
miohin wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:51 pm
Here is my entry:

Cool pic…. So… did you cut the tree down with the Manix?
The Manix may have what it takes... But I certainly do not.
Lurker
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

This year I am submitting my favorite Spyderco, The One Eyed Jack C226G, I've wanted this knife since I saw it and my amazing family spoilt me with it on my birthday. This photo was taken at our favorite hiking trail in Dubai, Sulphur Wadi. The beauty of this location and the One Eyed Jack just seem to go together hand in hand. I hope you like this photo as much as I do. :bug-red-white

Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
griff443

Post by griff443 »

Model: SpydieChef (C211TI)

Even though it was ostensibly made for food preparation, I find that the SpydieChef also works great as a general EDC knife. Its ease of sharpening, sturdy titanium construction, thin profile, and overall excellent slicing properties make it a joy to carry and use, while its unmatched corrosion resistance lets me feel comfortable taking it anywhere I go, whether canoeing in the summer or trudging through thick snow in the winter.

Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

My submission is my wharncliffe delica in 20cv, along with my ceramic whet stone. Just for fun, I wanted to use an image that wasn’t staged. So I waited for an opportunity when I was using a knife and just thought the situation was right. I love the delica wharncliffe for leather work. The blade shape is perfect and the 20cv stays sharp a long time. I have been using the spyderco fine ceramic stone, pictured bottom right, in the place of stropping and have had great results.

I just realized I forgot to include the explanation in the upload procedure, and don’t know if there is a way to add it now. Will this result in being disqualified?
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Spyderco Delica 4 KnifeCenter Exclusive with Takefu D.P.S. 15 Damascus/VG-10 Blade and Black Pakkawood Handle: The suminagashi damascus pattern on the blade of this Seki City Spyderco reminded me of the raked sand in Japanese dry landscape gardens, so I made my own little garden to showcase this beautiful knife. My forum name is taken from Takuan Sōhō, the Zen master who wrote about the concept of “no mind” in the martial arts, so the black cloth background under the garden is a worn jiu-jitsu gi. Perhaps this image could be a mandala for knife collectors? Staring at it may not help you reach enlightenment, but it might just inspire you to buy more knives!

"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Takuan wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:43 am
Perhaps this image could be a mandala for knife collectors? Staring at it may not help you reach enlightenment, but it might just inspire you to buy more knives!

... much to my surprise it works, even very well ... thanks. :winking-tongue
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
psmith27

Post by psmith27 »

Thanks for the fun for another year! Lots of great pictures.

I am entering this picture of my Spyderco Snap-It on the Avalon Fishing Pier in the Outer Banks NC! I have used this knife extensively boating and fishing over the years. It is a bit of an obscure design but like the rest of the Spyderco family of products it just works!

Good luck to everyone.
3D05B33E-F93C-4169-8C91-B2674756C9A6.jpeg
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Takuan wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:43 am
Spyderco Delica 4 KnifeCenter Exclusive with Takefu D.P.S. 15 Damascus/VG-10 Blade and Black Pakkawood Handle: The suminagashi damascus pattern on the blade of this Seki City Spyderco reminded me of the raked sand in Japanese dry landscape gardens, so I made my own little garden to showcase this beautiful knife. My forum name is taken from Takuan Sōhō, the Zen master who wrote about the concept of “no mind” in the martial arts, so the black cloth background under the garden is a worn jiu-jitsu gi. Perhaps this image could be a mandala for knife collectors? Staring at it may not help you reach enlightenment, but it might just inspire you to buy more knives!

Show off…
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

This year I would like to submit this picture of the G-10 Dragonfly in VG-10. Despite the small size, this knife is very capable! On a rainy day hike this summer, we saw some wildflowers it looked like someone picked. Decided it would make a good picture, and had the dragonfly in the pack. Image
brj

Post by brj »

The young Atlantic never did quite fit in with his family, but after his nosejob things have gotten positively worse, his own kind turning their clip-sides on him.
Shunned, he wanders aimlessly until he meets another misfit.
The newcomer is far from home and can’t stay here for long, as prolonged exposure to the sea triggers some sort of rash on his skin.
They decide there are more things uniting them than setting them apart, and even if the sky is cloudy and ominous now, the sun will shine brightly eventually - so they’ll hang out together for a while, seeking out new life forms and new civilizations, or something.

Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

*Edited to remove disqualified post - TazKristi*

Thought I heard they where keeping the old model as well. Just adding the new one too. That's 1 thing to be positive about. 🤓
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
gmarin

Post by gmarin »

MODEL: C94BK UK PENKNIFE FRN BLACK LEAF

My choice for this year has been the knife that always goes with me everywhere.

Lightweight, Compact and always Sharp.

Was developed when United Kingdom prohibited the carry of knives with locking blades.
I usually carry knives without lock because I live in London and with the UKPK you don't feel like if you don't have it, the slip-joint is good stuff.

Is possibly the safest non-locking knife ever created?

Thanks Spyderco :bug-red-white
Attachments
IMG-20220823-WA0011.jpg
10 :bug-red in 8 different steels
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Spyderco Native Chief S90V Carbonfiber C244CF90VP Sprint Run. This has to be my Spyderco with the best fit and finish. Every time I put it in my pocket, it amazes me. Other Spydercos do this too, but in other ways. Had a nice day in the woods and took this picture.
75ppi.jpg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

There's some really great shots again this year!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Danke

Post by Danke »

OK better get on this. Had to send twice, didn't know it would auto upload as soon as the picture was attached.