CPM-D2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

CPM-D2

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Why doesn't CPM-D2 get used anymore? I love D2/K110 steel. I know a lot of people like the ingot version. I would be interested in any D2 from Spyderco. I've been looking at the Junction in PSF27, I like it's thin handle. Of course the steel interests me more than anything. Is there a reason D2 doesn't get used??
Soanso McMasters

Re: CPM-D2

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I think D2 is highly underrated as a user steel by steel connoisseurs.
vivi

Post by vivi »

No idea.

I have nothing but good things to say about the CPM version.

I got to try out a Military in that steel. Was so impressed I bought one for myself.

Carried it for years. Aside from the lack of corrosion resistance, that steel did everything well for me. Not too tough to sharpen, good edge holding, tough, and it worked well with very thin angles.

:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Does Crucible still make CPM D2? From what I remember, they felt the gains over ingot D2 were too small to make it worthwhile. That was a long time ago, though. Things may have changed in the years since.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:07 pm
Does Crucible still make CPM D2? From what I remember, they felt the gains over ingot D2 were too small to make it worthwhile. That was a long time ago, though. Things may have changed in the years since.
If they stopped making it, that would explain why it's not more popular. I've only tried D2 from several different companies but never PSF or CPM.

It's weird because 154cm still gets used just as much as CPM-154. Surprised that didn't happen with D2.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Unless I missed something (entirely possible), Crucible only made one batch as an experiment, and Sal bought it to use in surprise Sprint Runs of the Military and Paramilitary.
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

Benchmade is still releasing models in CPM-D2. Their to be released 2022 model, Redoubt, is in CPM-D2.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BM430B ... ry-handles
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Not sure if this helps, but I recall CTS-XHP was Crucible's stainless version of D2. May have overshadowed CPM-D2 in Spyderco's line-up. Here is a quote from Sal.
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Hi Pelagic,

XHP is essentially a successful attempt to make stainless D2. Carpenter was developing it when we were helping them develop a line of blade steels and we did initial testing for them. I think the sourcing issues are; it's expensive and minimum quantities have recently been raised to a very high amount. We use quite a bit so, while inventory is still a hassle, the steel is good enough to keep working with it.

sal
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I mentioned an interest in Delica and Endura in PSF 27 the other day. Absolutely zilch response to the comment. I must be a one and only, not even a shadow to go along with it.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:53 pm
Unless I missed something (entirely possible), Crucible only made one batch as an experiment, and Sal bought it to use in surprise Sprint Runs of the Military and Paramilitary.
That's why I was asking as I wasn't around then.
JSumm wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:34 pm
Not sure if this helps, but I recall CTS-XHP was Crucible's stainless version of D2. May have overshadowed CPM-D2 in Spyderco's line-up. Here is a quote from Sal.
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Hi Pelagic,

XHP is essentially a successful attempt to make stainless D2. Carpenter was developing it when we were helping them develop a line of blade steels and we did initial testing for them. I think the sourcing issues are; it's expensive and minimum quantities have recently been raised to a very high amount. We use quite a bit so, while inventory is still a hassle, the steel is good enough to keep working with it.

sal
Yeah Larrin said it was a PM steel combining properties of 440c and D2.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:45 pm
I mentioned an interest in Delica and Endura in PSF 27 the other day. Absolutely zilch response to the comment. I must be a one and only, not even a shadow to go along with it.
This is getting slightly tangential to OP, but I've noticed several similar-ish threads within the last month - asking about a 52100 Endura, asking for more tool steels in models with thin blade stock, etc.

Personally I'm still enjoying my Hap40 Delica and K390 Endura but by all means keep the tool steel hype train rolling; I feel like all the support for Hap40 and V-Toku2 and Super Blue is half the reason we got regular production K390 in the first place and I love it.

On-topic for CPM-D2/XHP/PSF-27 - this is one steel I guess I have never really seen a niche for. Maybe slightly tougher than S30V for slightly less wear resistance and slightly less corrosion resistance? Just give me the S30V; I like how Spyderco and Benchmade both do it. But I understand others value the balance of these properties differently.

I'm not averse to these steels - have a Hungarian in XHP, a Junction in PSF-27, and a handful of Benchmades and slipjoints in D2 - but there's got to be something else about the overall design to draw me in.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

New Jersey Steel Baron still shows CPM D2 as available and active, so it is apparently still being made:

https://newjerseysteelbaron.com/product ... reloaded=1

Stay safe,

Mike
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Am I correct that Cruwear is sort of a variant of D2?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:08 am

Funny, I was just reading an article about this yesterday. I guess the short answer is "kinda". From the article:

This series of Vasco steels successfully created the category of 8% Cr die steels. In the past, cold work die steels were typically either A2 (1%C-5%Cr) or D2 (1.5% C-12%Cr). D2 was used for applications that benefited from high wear resistance, and A2 was used where higher toughness was necessary. I wrote about the history of A2 here and D2 here. The 8% Cr steels offered toughness close to A2 and wear resistance close to D2, making them very versatile.

Cru-Wear was developed after the patent for Vasco Wear ran out. So maybe not a variant, but an "improved" version? It is all kinda murky, but D2 and A2 were a starting point for a better die steel from Vasco. This lead, eventually, to Vasco Wear, which lead to Cru-Wear. But I'm probably missing some important details.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:59 pm
Why doesn't CPM-D2 get used anymore? I love D2/K110 steel. I know a lot of people like the ingot version. I would be interested in any D2 from Spyderco. I've been looking at the Junction in PSF27, I like it's thin handle. Of course the steel interests me more than anything. Is there a reason D2 doesn't get used??
The Junction spent a few years as my favourite carry for a fixed blade. Still take it as a check in knife on every 4-5 week work trip overseas and has saved me on many a hotel stay when knives at hotels/appartments are blunt as butter….love the steel and takes a great edge with minimal work on a small stone….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:52 am
oh interesting, thank you!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:14 am

The Junction spent a few years as my favourite carry for a fixed blade. Still take it as a check in knife on every 4-5 week work trip overseas and has saved me on many a hotel stay when knives at hotels/appartments are blunt as butter….love the steel and takes a great edge with minimal work on a small stone….
I got to check one out at the Spyderco dealer Way of Knife. Was instantly blown away by how thin the handle is. It's definitely on my will get one one day list.
Big John

Post by Big John »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:08 am
It seems that every other steel I research I've found at least one source claim it was an upgrade to D2, lol.

It's really not far off from MagnaCut. Slightly more carbon and chromium, no Niobium, and a lot less vanadium. It would be interesting to try some CPM D2 after someone like Larrin could experiment with atypical heat treats and see if there is anything unexplored with this steel.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Big John wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:29 pm
It seems that every other steel I research I've found at least one source claim it was an upgrade to D2, lol.

The way I read Larrin's article is that Cru-Wear (i.e., Vasco Wear) is an upgrade from D2 as a die steel (toughness), not necessarily as a cutlery steel. So I guess it all depends on your point of view. But there is certainly a thread that connects D2 to Cru-Wear. It was an interesting article.
Big John

Post by Big John »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:40 pm
Big John wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:29 pm

The way I read Larrin's article is that Cru-Wear (i.e., Vasco Wear) is an upgrade from D2 as a die steel (toughness), not necessarily as a cutlery steel. So I guess it all depends on your point of view. But there is certainly a thread that connects D2 to Cru-Wear. It was an interesting article.
Yes that is one of them. I've also heard it about XHP ("stainless D2") and others.