Favorite sci-fi movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
max808

Re: Favorite sci-fi movies?

Post by max808 »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:41 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:25 pm
Never was into sci-fi much. But, I did like Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers (1997) is a great sci-fi movie although it wasn’t well received at the time but has gone on to become a cult classic. The movie was falsely blamed for fascist overtones. It has terrific action and is quite unique. None of the sequels were any good. The director, Paul Verhoeven, gave us other notable sci-fi movies like RoboCop (1987) and Total Recall (1990).

https://youtu.be/zPYuV_jGk7M
I agree Mac, the uncut version is available on Disney and let me tell you for a kid's channel there sure is some gory stuff on there if you make their full catalog available. It's one of Verhoeven's greatest achievements after the classics RamZar mentioned and a brilliant parody with next level CGI for the times. Doogie Howser nails it as the smart one who makes Colonel and his SS/Gestapo inspired dress uniform sure looks intimidating, reason why some people falsely accuse the film of being fascist. It's actually a social critique on totalitarianism in all it's gory aspects. Obviously Paul Verhoeven being European, Dutch to be exact, there will be some frontal nudity left and right so you might wanna put the kids to bed before you rewatch this one Mac.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Last night I watched an old British sci-fi movie The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961). The premise is the overheating of the planet after the US & Soviets set off atomic bombs which tilts the earth’s axis. It follows reporters trying to find out what’s going on and possible corrective actions. It’s a really good movie which I had never seen. I rented the movie on Amazon Prime Video for $3.99.

I became aware of the movie due to an article on BBC News: The Day the Earth Caught Fire: The 1961 film that predicted a 'boiling planet' - Released in 1961, the cult British sci-fi film The Day the Earth Caught Fire offers a stark warning that resonates with a heating planet today, writes Gregory Wakeman.

https://youtu.be/IUFtgep9sj4?si=N9pYYjxeKodoBllX
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

cjk wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:14 pm
Megatron9000 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:56 am
Back to the Future 2 and The Terminator )))

Your screen name is Megatron9000 and those are your favorites? ;)

Sad megatron:
hahaha! Transformers would be an obvious choice, indeed ))) however, never considered Transformers as a sci-fi movie, just an entertainment for summer popcorn season, and besides, there's no science in it :grin-sweat :beaming-face
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

Megatron cannot be sad, at all )))
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm looking forward to seeing Godzilla Minus One.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Due to the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike, Dune: Part Two, which was originally due to be released on November 3, 2023, has now been pushed back to March 15, 2024. During the strike SAG-AFTRA members cannot promote any projects affiliated with Hollywood's major studios or streamers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Watched another old British sci-fi last night which I had watched ages ago: Quatermass and the Pit [U.S. Title: Five Million Years to Earth] (1967). Just as good as I remember it. A mix of sci-fi & horror with an alien vessel from 5 million years ago. Most of the old sci-fi depended so much more on the story than special effects. The old movie special effects, posters and trailers are something else.

https://youtu.be/033K233GIWs?si=Ei97m7hLy4q-wY7w
https://youtu.be/v5xPvFjPhkQ?si=wLNAmHPAd2n_lU1v
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, that was a good movie.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Continuing with old British sci-fi movies is another one I rewatched last night: Village of the Damned (1960). An interstellar beam impregnates women in a British village. The children grow up rapidly and can mind-control others. Great movie, story and acting. There was a sequel which I don't remember seeing: Children of the Damned (1963).

https://youtu.be/-AUBlW5EWnI
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Can't believe no one mentioned Spaceballs. Wasn't a box office hit like most movies mentioned but it's my favorite Sci-fi movie after the original Star Wars trilogy.
Attachments
s-l1200.jpg
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spaceballs (1987) was a parody of Star Wars (1977) and has become a cult classic in its own way. Very funny at times and the names of the characters was also funny: Dark Helmet, Schwartz, Barf, Yogurt, etc.

Barf: "I'm A Mawg: Half Man, Half Dog. I'm My Own Best Friend."

Dark Helmet: "I Am Your Father's Brother's Nephew's Cousin's Former Roommate."

Yogurt: "May The Schwartz Be With You."
max808

Post by max808 »

Thank you RamZar for curating the thread in my short absence (circus was in town). Haven't seen any of those, or any movies recently so will need to up my game. Riddick (2013) teaser inbound shortly... Since this list is entirely 21st century I decided on a more condensed spoiler free format to not rub anyone the wrong way.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
cjk

Post by cjk »

I have many many favorites.

The 1986 Transformers movie was the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

2013's Pacific Rim is a great flick. My wife is even willing to watch that with me. :smiling-heart-eyes
max808

Post by max808 »

cjk wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:55 am
I have many many favorites.

The 1986 Transformers movie was the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

2013's Pacific Rim is a great flick. My wife is even willing to watch that with me. :smiling-heart-eyes
Thank you for sharing, feel free to make a list of your own and do check out the first pages where quite an extensive list of favorites has been compiled in chronological order. Can't wait to watch some of these with my fiancee!
🥰
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Watched another old Sci-fi movie over the weekend which I hadn't watched for ages: Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964). Again crude special effects but a good take on the old Robinson Crusoe tale with astronaut landing on Mars. At first, he struggles to find more oxygen, water and food which he overcomes. He then encounters a man who is a slave of some aliens mining Mars. It's an entertaining movie.

https://youtu.be/Egf7wjf0nqU?si=eHL1V0nAbHqrpcPw
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

cjk wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:55 am

Pacific Rim (2013) is my favorite monster Godzilla-type movie of all time.

https://youtu.be/5guMumPFBag
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Has anyone seen this movie? Was it good?

Say we expand healthspan and lifespan out to a solid 150 years. I expect the elites to implement something like this to cull the population!

https://youtu.be/B5L6ltTY8PY
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
max808

Post by max808 »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:35 pm

Say we expand healthspan and lifespan out to a solid 150 years. I expect the elites to implement something like this to cull the population!

Yes Sir, seen it a handful of times and liked it every time. It's an intriguing concept where the elite have thousands of years on their internal clock and common folk barely have seconds to spare just to get one more day. Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried also look very cute and suave together so you know it's geared towards a younger audience, which I consider myself a part of.
😎
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

max808 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:40 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:35 pm

Yes Sir, seen it a handful of times and liked it every time. It's an intriguing concept where the elite have thousands of years on their internal clock and common folk barely have seconds to spare just to get one more day. Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried also look very cute and suave together so you know it's geared towards a younger audience, which I consider myself a part of.
😎
[+1]

Thank you.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Another I liked that I just remembered was Battleship - I really enjoyed those big guns on that battle ship 🚢