Rip my only PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Rip my only PM2

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Well it seems to hit me once a year, at least last time I found it months later. I lost my Maxamet PM2 today. Was out with my wife running errands before work and must have dropped it somewhere along the way. I was in a hurry so I just changed and went to work without realizing. I never carry the PM2 to work so I didn't bother putting it up, just grabbed my beater Native 5. Well when I get home and go to get it out of my dirty pants pocket it wasn't there. I went to a few places and looked around but it was hours after the fact. All the businesses where closed so I haven't checked to see if someone turned it in. I don't have much hope in that though.

It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't just offer to loan the knife to Bluntcut for some testing. As soon as I get something else in Maxamet I will make good on my offer and send it to him.

It was a factory second so I'm not out much. The problem is I'll probably never go to a factory second sale in Golden. Not sure I like the PM2 that much to pay $300 for one in Maxamet. I would rather get the Native or Sage.

How many here have lost a knife? Or never lose one?
Bdubs808

Re: Rip my only PM2

Post by Bdubs808 »

I lost a few many years ago. A Cold Steel scimitar folder, and a voyager as well. The first one must have fell out of my pocket when I was drunk, but the voyager remains a mystery to this day. Learnt my lesson once I got into Spyderco and haven't lost one yet, knock on wood. Hope it pops up! (I'm always misplacing my Fenix flashlight so I own 2)
Big John

Post by Big John »

I can't find several of my Spyderco knives, sad day when you realize they're gone. Most recent was the discontinued CQI titanium military. Lost the Maxamet pm2, can't find the k390 pm2, Quite a bit of money lost. Hopefully they're in storage.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Check the seatbelts, back of the seats and the ledge between the seat and the door. I’ve found more than a few that I’ve “lost” this way. I “lost” an Endela tying up a tree in the field to dig. The twine just grabbed the clip and luckily I noticed and found it before it was dug and shipped out.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have misplaced and found my Dragonfly2 Salt a few times but only permanently lost a Gerber Sportsman 3 many years ago horseback riding on a Apalloosa barrel racing stud on a river levee . It was my fault the metal belt clip was loose . I paid $50 for it in Alaska in 1976 and years later found another new one in Georgia at twice the price . Hope you find your knife , painful when it happens . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my original ladybug was missing for years and turned up one day. my df2 salt was missing for months and turned up one day.

the worst though was my first serious edc. i carried a sog flash ii exclusively for seven years. i lost that knife constantly. the clip would get caught all the time and get pulled from my pocket without me realizing it. i'd find it on my backpack strap and seatbelts all the time. i even found it clipped to the drawstring of a jacket once. the last couple of years, i kept hoping i wouldn't find it so i could get something else. eventually, i just had to upgrade without losing it. haha
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I lost my rex 45 native chief. It made me sick.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I lost my byrd crow 2 i got from the Amsterdam meet. Still feel bad about that one.
Also lost an astute. Have no clue where that one went.
And my brother lost his zdp delica while going to dinner.
So i think we all lose some of our spydies if you have them on you all the time it can happen.
It only really sucks if you can not replace it , if it was a gift you can still replace it but it will not be “the Gift” so it keeps on sucking.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I accidentally left a Benchmade Elishwitz Stryker in my dad’s vintage Buick convertible as to not distress the seat. Hoped in my car and headed 2 hours to my house before realizing I left it on his floor board. He had gone and gotten it detailed and one of the workers pocketed it, but I couldn’t prove it. This was probably 1998-99 and was my first expensive knife I had owned
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I lost a ZT 0920, and the one I bought to replace it. Only knives I've ever lost.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If I said never, you gotta know what would happen…
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wow, don't feel so bad now. It still sucks losing anything of value.

My memory has been getting bad lately. I'm only 34 but lived a very rough life. When I was 18 I got in an atv accident on a asphalt road without a helmet. The several automotive accidents the last 10yrs didn't help either. It wasn't until last year when I started to notice I was misplacing things daily. My long term memory seems ok but my short term is crap. Sometimes I can forget what I'm talking about in the middle of a conversation. It's weird because the longer it's been the better I remember, it used to be the other way around.

Anyone take OTC meds for memory? I was thinking of trying something before I forget everything.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I lose them from time to time. I've been missing a Pac Salt 2 for months. No idea where it could be.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

I've lost one knife, ever. Maroon UKPK. Bought it at a local shop for $56. Ripped a car apart looking, hoping the seatbelt had snagged it or something.

To this day I won't clip a knife onto slash pockets - like khaki pants have, because of it. Gotta be a curved inset pocket like on jeans, or inside the pocket it goes.

I still miss that beauty...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Of all the blades I've bought, sold and traded and used a lot since about 1999 I think I've now lost a grand total of about 6 all together>> at least the ones I can document. My most recent loss was one of my favorite "Hard Use" blades and that being the old 440V, GOLDEN, CO made, full SE NATIVE model. It's been my ultimate beater that I've used on brutal, demanding jobs for years. Whenever I'm faced with a job that I potentially believe will destroy the knife that is the one model I always try to use. Because I've never been able to destroy that bad boy. That 440V, full SE blade is literally indestructible IMO.

Even though it was one of my hard user blades I still lament over it's loss. I am optimistic however that I've lost it here at home and I'm hopeful that it will turn up in the next month or so. But it is agonizing none the less because these blades that I use so much actually become my friends. Yeah I know that sounds weird but I really do get attached to them. I hope and I will pray that you find your PM2. keep us posted please.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I printed up some lost/reward posters. 😆 Worth a shot I guess.

Edit: 999th post!!!!
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

How many folks who have lost a knife were using a custom clip versus factory? I have a few custom clips that don’t hold very tight so I have bent them to rectify the problem.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:29 pm
How many folks who have lost a knife were using a custom clip versus factory? I have a few custom clips that don’t hold very tight so I have bent them to rectify the problem.
I use factory clips and haven't had an issue. I remember exactly what I did, set it on the ground still open, but my memory is so bad it took a while before I even noticed.

Just to clarify I didn't notice the same day like the op says. I didn't want to admit my memory is that bad. I was in a hurry before work and left it on the ground on Wednesday. Friday night when I got home from work that day I looked for it and couldn't find it. After thinking for a while it all came back to me.

I went to all the close by stores and put up reward signs. I even went to my local Spyderco dealer, His Store and More, and dropped of a sign there as well. Also posted on the township Facebook page. Probably not going to help though. Hopefully it makes its way back.

Moving forward I'm only leaving the house with knives I can replace easily. Now I see why people buy two of the same knife. Definitely going to start getting backups for my daily users.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’ve never lost a knife but right now I have no idea where my wallet is at.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Lost a pacific salt for 3-5 years…found it when I pulled a seat post cover off on the boat to change the seat from one side of the boat to the other. There she was, must have slide down there and the seat post cover stopper sealed it for years. Must have turned the boat over a few times and finally thought it must of gone over the side…..
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.