Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Post by JD Spydo »

It was back in the year of our Lord 2005 when I launched a thread entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill". But yet it still pops up about once every year or so. It sure had a lot of interesting suggestions about what most guys thought the perfect Hawkbill blade would be.

But I want to go down a slightly different road this time around. Because a lot of changes have been made on the "user knife" landscape. Since then much more has been learned about how useful and practical a good Hawkbill blade can be. Especially as a "companion blade" along side your main EDC you carry each day. A serrated Hawkbill blade can be a great companion tool for a nice plain edged EDC that you always have on you. It has sure worked well for me at times.

And so many of you guys who have first responder jobs like Policemen, Firemen, Paramedics ect who rely on the quick uses of certain types of blades. I'm sure you all have ideas on what would make an ideal Hawkbill blade. So let's put our heads together and figure out what would make for an ideal Hawkbill blade for a wide range of uses. Spyderco already has had some great models over the years like the Spyderhawk, Superhawk, Harpy, Tasman ect. And maybe some of those designs just need some certain modifications to become an ideal cutting tool.

Personally I would like to see something like a full SE Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle and a better blade steel. Or maybe even consider bringing back the much loved G-10 Harpy. I want to hear what you all think would make for a great Hawkbill blade that would be great for your occupation and/or daily uses?
skeeg11

Re: Are We Ready Yet!!?? For A Newer/Better Hawkbill?

Post by skeeg11 »

Would like to see a fixed bigger than the Shark-Ray. Super Hawk size would be nice.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:13 am
Would like to see a fixed bigger than the Shark.
Yeah I would also be wide open for a fixed blade Hawkbill. But I do also want a newer/better Hawkbill folder as well.

I've suggested a fixed blade Hawkbill for the past 10 years or so. I get a most interesting bunch of different replies too.

But that would be a huge step in the right direction. I think the commercial fishing industry would love such a tool. There would be other markets for a fixed blade Hawkbill too.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Would love a slightly more robust serre hawkbill for gardening. The matriarch and lil matriarch are fine but not exactly purpose built.

I want hollow grind, lc200n, the works.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:37 am
Would love a slightly more robust serre hawkbill for gardening. The matriarch and lil matriarch are fine but not exactly purpose built.

I want hollow grind, lc200n, the works.
I'm completely with you regarding the MATRIARCH model for utility uses. I've said on several occasion that if they would consider making a MATRIARCH model with a thicker blade and a G-10 handle it would be an awesome utility blade for a wide range of different uses.

By definition the MATRIARCH is technically a "Reverse S" blade but it can sure do a lot of what a Hawkbill blade is designed for.

Yeah a more sturdy, thicker version of the Matriarch ( especially in SE) would be a beast of a utility tool.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda want a more robust, beater level reverse S with a stout tip that I can really use without fear of breaking. I think I could really use one outside for yard work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I treasure my SE Superhawk Spyderhawk and SE Tasman Salts, especially in the garden.

A PE Crucarta SuperHawk sprint would also have my interest, even if I’m fortunate to find an original.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I want a SuperHawk and a SpyderHawk Salt!
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Not sure if you guys remember, but we were discussing the possibility of an FRN Superhawk a few months ago. A platform for all of our hawkbill And reverse S wishlists.

I'm still very much interested in this and hope it comes to be down the road. Everything takes time these days. But it would be worth waiting for.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92089&p=1612157
sal wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:43 am
............... Thanx for the nudge on the "hook" (Emerson Opener). If I decide to move on this, which will take time, I'l go FRN scales and do more than one blade shape. Right now we're drawing a variety of blade shapes to see how they will fit the handle.

sal
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:29 am
I treasure my SE Superhawk and SE Tasman Salts, especially in the garden.

A PE Crucarta SuperHawk sprint would also have my interest, even if I’m fortunate to find an original.
I was totally unaware that Spyderco ever made the SUPERHAWK model in full SE. If they did it's news to me. Because I sure looked hard for one in full SE for a long time and I never ever was able to locate one in SE. Are you sure you don't have it confused with the SPYDERHAWK?????

But for sure I would love a full SE version of the Superhawk ( Salt Series or otherwise). I loved everything about that design except the fact that I can't find nearly as many good uses for a PE Hawkbill as I can for full SE Hawkbills. I find many more utilitarian uses for fully serrated Hawkbills for most everyday chores and they make the perfect companion blade to carry with your main EDC.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:28 am
I kinda want a more robust, beater level reverse S with a stout tip that I can really use without fear of breaking. I think I could really use one outside for yard work.
Again a Matriarch model or even a CIVILIAN model with a thicker blade in full SE would have awesome utility uses. Myself I tend to lean more toward the MATRIARCH model because it fits my hand far better than a CIVI. But I would have nothing against having both of them available in a utility version with a thicker blade and a more stout handle.

Just for general information I've heard of far more of the older MATRIARCH and CIVILIAN models with ATS-55 steel breaking than I ever did with the VG-10 steel that they eventually went to. But a thicker blade would provide a lot more assurance to be sure.

I would also be very happy with a SPYDERHAWK with a G-10 handle for gardening and yard work. A MATRIARCH model with a thicker blade and G-10 handle would also be a beast of a tool.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really want a matriarch 2 salt in h1 with the standard hollow grind. i guess that won't happen not that h1 is going away, but maybe in h2. i'd still take it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:01 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

I was totally unaware that Spyderco ever made the SUPERHAWK model in full SE. If they did it's news to me. Because I sure looked hard for one in full SE for a long time and I never ever was able to locate one in SE. Are you sure you don't have it confused with the SPYDERHAWK?????

But for sure I would love a full SE version of the Superhawk ( Salt Series or otherwise). I loved everything about that design except the fact that I can't find nearly as many good uses for a PE Hawkbill as I can for full SE Hawkbills. I find many more utilitarian uses for fully serrated Hawkbills for most everyday chores and they make the perfect companion blade to carry with your main EDC.
Bad editing. I was referring to the Spyderhawk.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:18 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:01 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

Bad editing. I was referring to the Spyderhawk.
Yeah I kind of thought so. But it is an easy one to get confused because the two names are very similar. But again I truly would be all for another Run of the SUPERHAWK if they would do one in full SE this next go-around. But if they want to make a really beefed up version of the Spyderhawk I would be all over it as well.

But again I'll always be confused as to why they never made the SUPERHAWK available in full SE. I believe if they had made it in PE & SE both that knife might still be around today. Because a Hawkbill with teeth has so many advantages.

Also size is important to me as well. Because any Hawkbill smaller than the Harpy, Merlin, TASMAN does not have very many uses for me. The Harpy model is about as small as I want to go. The jobs I usually encounter do better with bigger blades as a general rule.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:07 pm
Evil D wrote:
Again a Matriarch model or even a CIVILIAN model with a thicker blade in full SE would have awesome utility uses. Myself I tend to lean more toward the MATRIARCH model because it fits my hand far better than a CIVI. But I would have nothing against having both of them available in a utility version with a thicker blade and a more stout handle.

Just for general information I've heard of far more of the older MATRIARCH and CIVILIAN models with ATS-55 steel breaking than I ever did with the VG-10 steel that they eventually went to. But a thicker blade would provide a lot more assurance to be sure.

I would also be very happy with a SPYDERHAWK with a G-10 handle for gardening and yard work. A MATRIARCH model with a thicker blade and G-10 handle would also be a beast of a tool.

I'm FAR more interested in a blade variation of the Civilian, because I much prefer the handle over the Endura handle that the Spyderhawk and Matriarch use. I've often considered just getting a Civilian and using it until the tip does break, then reprofile it down and keep on using it. I would like a hawkbill blade in a Civilian handle much more than I like my Spyderhawk, but I have my doubts that this will ever happen, and being Seki/G10 it would be far more expensive than an Endura based variant.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:05 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I'm FAR more interested in a blade variation of the Civilian, because I much prefer the handle over the Endura handle that the Spyderhawk and Matriarch use. I've often considered just getting a Civilian and using it until the tip does break, then reprofile it down and keep on using it. I would like a hawkbill blade in a Civilian handle much more than I like my Spyderhawk, but I have my doubts that this will ever happen, and being Seki/G10 it would be far more expensive than an Endura based variant.
I see your point. And I don't want this to turn into a "Ford vs Chevy" debate by any means. But if the CIVI fits your hand better then more power to you. But you do bring up a point that I haven't considered much as of yet. I do like your idea of using a Civilian handle to maybe make a Super SPYDERHAWK type model. Yeah I do think that the G-10 handle they use for the Civilian model could be great for a monster Hawkbill. Like a super version of the SPYDERHAWK.

Everyone's hand is different so it's understandable that some people are going to gravitate toward different models. But now this brings up another debate of sorts>> even if you don't prefer the Endura/Spyderhawk handle>> would that change if they were to make that Spyderhawk/Endura handle with G-10 scales instead of FRN for those models??? I truly think it would be a night & day difference. And for the better I might add.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:05 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Have you ever held a superhawk?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:41 pm

Nope. Not necessarily opposed to one but I suspect cost will be even higher than a Civilian variant. I'd also like a bit more hook.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:55 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:41 pm

Nope. Not necessarily opposed to one but I suspect cost will be even higher than a Civilian variant. I'd also like a bit more hook.
I understand on the hook, but as long as it's frn, the price should hopefully be alright.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Zrow is absolutely right!! Because there is something special about the grip of the Carbon Fiber handle of the older SUPERHAWK model. So far it's been the only Hawkbill Spyderco has made up till now with high grade handle materials IMO. However I tend to be like EVIL D when it comes to Hawkbill blades with more "hook" to them. Albeit the SUPERHAWK would have been a much better model if they had made them available in full SE.

I'll always be convinced that a full SE Hawkbill blade has dozens of more viable uses than a PE Hawkbill does.