Why have multiple of same knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jurmuscle

Why have multiple of same knife.

Post by Jurmuscle »

I'm just curious for those of you who collect multiple knifes and even some of the same model, why you like to do that. And do you actually use them all. I am thinking about getting the Crewcarta and my first PM2 hasn't even made it in mail yet lol. And I am trying to decide if I want to keep 2, or sell 1 to be more utilitarian .
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
TkoK83Spy

Re: Why have multiple of same knife.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If you turn into a steel nerd...you'll understand!

Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Do you have more than one pair of pants? More than one pair of shoes?

If you like the model, you may enjoy it in different varieties, different steels or different handle materials or colors.

This same question could be asked in a different way "why have more than one knife at all", since they all serve the same basic function of cutting things and most differences are in ergonomics.

Anyway, I've got duplicates of several, even a couple that are the exact same knife. Some are backups or "pre-need replacements". Especially when it comes to sprints or exclusives I tend to buy two up front just in case I ever want another one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have 17 manixes. 4 Originals and 13 Manix 2's.
All i can say is that if the exclusives and sprint were more common in Europe i would have way more Manixes and less other designs. While most of them are offcourse collection knives that i customized in one way or another. I do use 5 of them and with use i meen really use them hard. And there is no design in the current spyderco line up i would mis more then the g10 manix 2. If they ever quit with those and do not replace them in a gen 3 with g10 with liners spyderco would not get another knife sale from me. That is how much i love that design.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have 10-15 Pacific Salts because it's my favorite knife and I want to have a lifetime supply. Sometimes I want to carry PE, sometimes SE. Sometimes waved, sometimes not. Sometimes blacked out, sometimes colorful.

I'd rather have another Pacific Salt that would work its way into rotation than another 5oz rustable knife that will get carried two times a year at best.
:unicorn
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

If I like the design, and I want different steels, colors, etc, then I buy multiple knives! 4 shamans, 3 native chiefs, 3 Endelas...

And yea, they all get carried and used!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

:rofl i warned you this would happen!

personally, i try to keep my collection diverse, so i try not to have multiples of the same models. a couple exceptions... i have a g10 manix and a lw manix, and i have my original ladybug from the early '90s and ladybug salt hawkbill. i barely consider those multiples though. another reason to get multiples would be when you have a knife you really like and they release it later in different materials you want. for example, i already had a resilience and now there's one in s35vn, or i have a manix lw and now it's being released in magnacut and with screws. i will have both of those knives eventually, even though they overlap my current collection.

if you really like the pm2, there's no reason not to build a collection based on that model. otherwise, you can always try other models in the different steels and handle materials you like. i like that my knives are mostly very different from each other because it makes it easier to choose what to carry each day.

either way, i'd suggest waiting to get your s110v pm2 in hand and put it to use for a bit before buying the next one. you'll be surprised how your preferences change and what other models might grow on you the more you see them around here.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I follow my Dad’s advice on things in life. “If you find something you like, buy at least two because they will discontinue it.”

I’ve taken this to the extreme with Spyderco and have a lot. Recently I’ve added three of Knifejoy 20CV Enduras. In many ways it’s the perfect combo for me. I also have 10 more Endura 4’s in various steels. I also really like the Manix LW and have 8 of those with only one steel duplicated. This doesn’t count several other types that I have duplicates of. Those two are just my favorites.

I know Spyderco doesn’t discontinue things quickly but I’m covered just in case.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 am
I'm just curious for those of you who collect multiple knifes and even some of the same model, why you like to do that. And do you actually use them all. I am thinking about getting the Crewcarta and my first PM2 hasn't even made it in mail yet lol. And I am trying to decide if I want to keep 2, or sell 1 to be more utilitarian .
Sounds like you've answered your own question! :winking-tongue

That's how it started for me too.. I have always been into knives, but I'd never considered myself a "collector".. then I started spending time on the forum.. "oh, this model looks interesting".. order online.. "hmmm what do you mean steels have different properties?"... order.. order.. order.. "ooh, it comes with micarta scales too! Yup!".. click. Next thing you know, you've got stockpiles of knives stashed in every corner of your home..

Also, note that there is a direct correlation between time spent on this forum and compulsive knife-buying! Run while you still can!
:zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I have 4 Natives, 2 Chaparrals, and 4 Delicas with different scales and/or steels and then one-offs of multiple other models. Completely unnecessary but I think it is pretty clear that everyone here has… issues. Serious issues.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I generally wouldn’t own several of the same knife. maybe 2, in rare what-if scenarios.
:bug-red-white
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 am
I'm just curious for those of you who collect multiple knifes and even some of the same model, why you like to do that.
I did collect very similar knives, but quit. Originally, it was with Sprints. I'd order several variants. In case I couldn't get my favorite, at least I'd have something in the same family. A couple were purchased because I liked a model so much that I wanted a spare.

But what I discovered was that I'd always carry my favorite "beater" knives. The others would sit in a drawer, and I wouldn't use them because I wanted to keep them nice. Drawer Knives, Safe Queen Guns, and Trailer Queen Cars don't excite me. I want a knife that is taken out and driven hard. The chances of "losing" a knife are miniscule, so buying extras wasn't really necessary.

Right now I have a handful of knives that I think are the absolute best available for my needs, and I carry them as my activities require. If a new model or steel is released that looks like an improvement upon what I already have, I'll try it out.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I understand the reasons for buying duplicates, but I tend not to do it much since I enjoy having a variety of models more. I own a lot of knives, but I think the only dupes are 2 Militarys, 2 Manix 2s, 3 Salts, and a bunch of Pacific Salts. Even most of these are not really dupes: different steels, different handles, different generations, SE vs PE.

My biggest reason for duplicates is having enough of a favorite to last forever. And then sometimes I see a deal I just can't resist!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If they're different steels, handle material, color, etc., I don't consider that 'the same' knife.

It can also help you know if what you really like is the steel, material, and color combo or the design itself.

I do have actual doubles of some of my favorite models as back ups should I lose or damage the original, and in case I'm unable to find a replacement. Knives get discontinued, go out of stock. If you find something you never want to be without, a backup is a good idea.

Sometimes it's just fun to collect variants of your favorite models.

Personally I'd recommend trying other models after you get two of the same. Then if a sprint run or exclusive of something you really like comes along you can pick it up without feeling like 'I've already got too many of those'.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:34 am
:rofl i warned you this would happen!
😁

It's been kind of a weird ride for me. I originally just wanted one or maybe two new knives for general EDC use and now I have a whole bunch of different ones including several variations of the same models. I don't think I have any true duplicates (same model etc) but I did at one time.

I certainly don't need all these different knives and I don't consider myself to be a collector. I guess it's just fun for me to have a wide variety of different models in different flavors for me to choose from. I try to carry and use them all as I can but a lot of them don't get used as much. Heck some have never been carried or used. I'll get to 'em at some point
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I try not to get multiples of the same knife, just because there are lots of knives and other gear I'd like to try. But I still have some multiples because I can't pass up a certain steel/blade/color combination. But spend your own money how you want.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Why?

Why not?

😁

Jim
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Familiarity for one. Feels the same, carries the same, cuts the same. Especially if it is a model you really like to use/carry.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:36 am
The chances of "losing" a knife are miniscule, so buying extras wasn't really necessary.
I used to think that. Then I 'lost' my m390 ZT 0770 (came out of my pocket at work, on a 'not quite a trail' and couldn't find it even after a couple hours searching) and my K390 Urban (my fault, I forgot I had it in my pocket and went through security at the Colosseum) and started picking up backups of knives I really liked. I bought two K390 Urban replacements (one to use and one as a backup) on my phone before I even got out of the Colosseum that day. Thankfully they had stayed in stock for a while.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Why do I like to have multiples of the same knife? There are a handful of reasons but primarily because I can.

Do I use them all? No. That’s a part of why I have multiples of some - so I can literally keep them unused and pristine.
-Nick :bug-red