Chaparral slip-it on its way

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Chaparral slip-it on its way

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sal recently informed the U.K. EdgeMatters forum of a production Chaparral slipjoint, with a discussion about the merits or otherwise of half stops. No half stop is planned in the first instance.

Anyone else as excited as I am?!
fixall

Re: Chaparral slip-it on its way

Post by fixall »

Well that’s an easy, no questions asked purchase for me. I like the smoothness of a slipjoint without a half-stop, but the cam tang has to be done pretty well. I have no doubt that Spyderco will be able to pull it off very well.

Thanks for the heads up! :)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Is there anymore info available about this one like steel , handle material , pricing maybe?
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

This will be nice to see...and yes, I'm with fixall, that sounds like an easy "yes" for me too!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wow..
I didn't even consider the possibility, but that is a genius move.
Can't think of another model I would rather have seen as the basis of a new slip-it design.
I had high hopes for the new Lil'LW, but I think this takes it up a notch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I know I’m fighting a battle that has already been lost but I’m adamant about this, I genuinely hope it does not share the Chaparral moniker.

Either that or I hope there is a formal announcement and a big deal is made about the giant departure from the Chaparral’s original intention.

A slipjoint Chaparral will be another slot in the production queue taken up by an already existing model. It’s just more of the same in my mind, and not impressed by participation trophies.
-Nick :bug-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

well dang, add a bolster and you might make the modern slipjoint industry really sweat! Here for it!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Will it be available in the USA? I want one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:22 am
Sal recently informed the U.K. EdgeMatters forum of a production Chaparral slipjoint, with a discussion about the merits or otherwise of half stops. No half stop is planned in the first instance.

Do you have a link you can share?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:22 am

Do you have a link you can share?
It’s a closed forum, but I quote:

“I'm finalizing the design on a Chaparral Slipit and I've been really caught up in the half stops. A bit OC, yes, but sometimes it's necessary.

So I've decided to leave out the half stop on this model. It will be a regular "in-the-line" model so if "most" of you don't like the lack of a half stop, we can always add one in the future. I personally think the knife is a winner, especially for your local laws. A classy gentleman's folder. Easy One hand open and close, safe, a high performer and a bit classy, if I do say so myself.

sal”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m in, provided the handlle—whose variation the Chap is meant to celebrate—grabs me and won’t let go.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not saying I won't be interested in one but I like my UKPS's (have one on me today) and lockable Chaparrals. So not sure I'll actually buy one but I'm happy for those who'll benefit from having a slippy Chap available
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll probably buy one. I'm on the fence as to the utility it will have, and what it will do that the UKPK won't, but if it runs concurrently with the locking Chaps, and has the same handle variants, it will expand the Chap idea to people who can't carry lockers.

A slippy Chap in Raffir, or Ti, or any other cool handle variant (or multiple cool handle variants), would be a great add to the modern slip joint market.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Given how much of a fan I am of the Chap, this will be a must have for me. I think what really appeals to me is the one hand opening.

I have a SPY DK which I absolutely love. No UKPK, however so this will be a great substitute!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Definitely in. I'd love either a Salt, or SPY27 and a cool handle, but really anything.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

is this real. like really happening. i will wait for sal or spyderco to say but it would be kool.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
fixall

Post by fixall »

I for one am very happy that a whole population of people who have never had the chance to experience the amazingness that is the Chaparral (because of knife laws prohibiting locking knives), will now have the chance to see what all the fuss is about. The pushback saddens me. Sometimes it's not just about us here in the U.S.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I just hope the rest of us will be able to get it, too.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

Is this going to be a regular, or a LW version?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'm curious. Not sure it will be better than the UKPK for me, but I am curious to see this one.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035