serration aggression

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

serration aggression

Post by sethwm »

Is the variability in serration aggression luck of the draw? Or are certain models less aggressive? I just got a hawkbill ladybug SE which probably has the best serrations I've seen. It's amazing, and I think I might be converted to a serrated lover.

Then I looked at my endela SE which has been sitting in a bag I take into the woods, and it's also nice serrations.

Then I look at my dragonfly SE and those serrations are very very aggressive, and snaggy. If I were to get another serrated knife, what would I expect?

Dragonfly (top), Endela (bottom)

Dragonfly (top), Ladybug (bottom)
applejuice54

Re: serration aggression

Post by applejuice54 »

Am I the only one confused by the question? You seem to indicate that all the SE are great and ask what you should expect. If you had a “bad” one I’d get the question, but even then I don’t know what would be bad, or good for that matter.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

applejuice54 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:43 pm
Am I the only one confused by the question? You seem to indicate that all the SE are great and ask what you should expect. If you had a “bad” one I’d get the question, but even then I don’t know what would be bad, or good for that matter.
I should have been clearer. The dragonfly is snaggy and awful. Gets caught every time I make a cut and I hate it. It’s because the serrations are so aggressive.

There’s variability in the aggressiveness across my 3 examples and I’m wondering how one would predict how aggressive (and therefore bad … for me) a purchase will be.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

There certainly are differences between SE models right from the factory as far as I can tell:
- I am obvuously not the only one feeling that the Endela SE has perfectly non-aggressive serrations - the kind that for me are the "better PE" in almost any folder task
- While my H1 Pac Salt is great for "ripping" things apart, but too aggressive to be absolutely perfect for "general EDC" (gets better and better with each sharpening though)
- Same is true for my Salt 2 ffg SE
- And each "old" SE model I had/have (like my Delica, Endura (both sabre grind) and Stretch CE, or Endura sabre grind SE) are way to "snaggy" from the factory for my liking.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I posted a pic in the SE Performance is More Than Just Teeth sticky. There definitely differences. I find them all to cut extremely well.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Found it.
Attachments
20220531_023810.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would say it's somewhat luck of the draw in a way because the shape can change as the wheel that grinds them wears out, so for example if the number of knives that it takes to wear out the wheel is 10,000 then the first knives off that wheel are probably going to be more pointy and prone to snagging while the ones towards the middle or end of the life of the wheel will be more mellow in shape.

Then there's also just the difference in the knives you're comparing, the Ladybug is ground on a different wheel than larger knives because it's so small, and then the hawkbill version may even have its own wheel too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

This could be a topic for another thread, but do you guys think they use a different grinding wheel for each model? I ask because David’s theory makes sense, however my se k390 Police has less aggressive serrations and I know it’s from the first run of that model, with that steel in serrated form.

OP, I don’t think there is a way to know what you’re going to get. You may need to take some time to sharpen down the aggressiveness on the df. It may also have to do with what you’re cutting too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

blueblur wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:33 am
This could be a topic for another thread, but do you guys think they use a different grinding wheel for each model? I ask because David’s theory makes sense, however my se k390 Police has less aggressive serrations and I know it’s from the first run of that model, with that steel in serrated form.

OP, I don’t think there is a way to know what you’re going to get. You may need to take some time to sharpen down the aggressiveness on the df. It may also have to do with what you’re cutting too.

I think the K390 knives are different either because of a challenge with grinding K390, or from user feedback regarding aggressive serrations. Or both.
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

A friend of mine had an SE H1 dragonfly and it didn't cut as well as other SE knives. Even when it was sharp it would still snag. I guess the serrations were too pointy. I think the thin stock on the ladybug really helps with the performance. My H1 ladybug hawkbill cuts very well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've found that it can be model-dependant. IMO, the best serrations that cut easily and don't seem to snag much, or at all, are my saber-ground SE Delica 4, SE SS Harpy, SE Endela, SE Ladybug hawkbill Salt, and SE SS Police. Those are the best ones I have, anyway. My SE Tasman Salts aren't bad either, but aren't as smooth as the ones listed above.

My SE Dragonfly Salt is probably the worst SE cutter I have. I may have to sharpen the serrations down a bit, even though it doesn't need sharpening.

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Too-pointy serrations can be fixed on the Sharpmaker, using the diamond or CBN rods. It takes time. You want to both push and pull so the pattern remains symmetrical.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:14 am
blueblur wrote:

I think the K390 knives are different either because of a challenge with grinding K390, or from user feedback regarding aggressive serrations. Or both.
K390 delica you think is less aggressive too?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I am curious from sal and folks if they intentionally vary the aggressiveness by model or if it’s just how worn down the wheel is at the time or related to the steel or what.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:10 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:14 am
blueblur wrote:

K390 delica you think is less aggressive too?

I'm guessing it will be, I don't see why the Police would be any different.
~David
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:11 am
I am curious from sal and folks if they intentionally vary the aggressiveness by model or if it’s just how worn down the wheel is at the time or related to the steel or what.

I’m betting on this. ^^^ I would imagine it’s a bit of both.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think it has to be both. I know Sal has definitely mentioned wheel wear as a factor.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm pretty pleased with the Byrd serration patterns. The Low hollow serrated Hawkbill is not snaggy. The new serrated FFG Wharnies are equally impressive. The teeth look a little pointier than the Hawkbill, but they don't seem predisposed to snagging. I like the way the serrated FFG Byrd Wharnies cut. (Harrier & Cara Cara) Even more so than my serrated FFG LC200N Pac Salt 2. Go figure.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Dragonfly teeth are the most aggressive of any of my serrated knives.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It depends on what you're cutting. A lot of us like to make serrations much closer to a wavy Plain Edge. Because you can make clean cuts with it while still having some of the aggression you get from a serrated edge.

Others like coarse plain edges for the same reason.

Some like polished plain edges for the ultra clean smooth cuts and push cuts.

And aggressive toothy serrations are good for sawing through tough or fibrous materials.

If I had a combo edge, I'd want toothy serrations so I could have the best of both worlds. Might even be fun to take a full serrated knife with toothy serrations and smooth and round off the front half and leave the back half toothy. Make a full serrated combo edge.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal