Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by mark greenman »

woops double post
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

IMG_5254.jpeg
IMG_5252.jpeg
This arrived today. No visible flaws, perfectly centered blade, excellent lockup, and a great feel! Super excited for this new daily user. Because it’s standard production, I won’t worry to work her!

Thanks to knifeworks for the excellent transaction!
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

pleadnotguilty wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:29 pm
IMG_5254.jpeg
IMG_5252.jpeg

This arrived today. No visible flaws, perfectly centered blade, excellent lockup, and a great feel! Super excited for this new daily user. Because it’s standard production, I won’t worry to work her!

Purple looks great, thanks for the pics.

I agree, the centering / lockup / overall quality of the Mil 2 is excellent.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Some pics of the Digi M2 from Reddit, with helpful size comparison. Always good to get real life pics vs stock photos for examining the color.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spyderco/comme ... ge_spyder/

mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Been using the Mil2 more this week, and I'm really impressed with the factory sharpness.

It melts through plastic film on packages / food without pressure or resistance (this is what I typically look for in sharpness.) Its so effortless I opened a vinyl plastic envelope the other day, and the knife went through both the envelope and the double layer of papers inside.

But what really impressed me was I had to make a DIY funnel today out of an empty water bottle for a roadside oil change, and I slightly fumbled the bottle - ended up nearly cutting my finger. On closer inspection, the Mil2 was so sharp I actually shaved off a bit off my fingerprint. This is something I've only had happen before changing double edged shaving razors.

Really an excellent factory edge on the Mil2. :bug-red-white
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

A fun little family set I have put together. Not sure that my favorite isn't the oldest design however they are all terrific knives.
Attachments
Camo Millies 2.jpg
Camo Millies.jpg
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Kleon wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:57 am
A fun little family set I have put together. Not sure that my favorite isn't the oldest design however they are all terrific knives.
I like this visual! Seems like the mil2 is much sleeker than the 1?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Drubieg wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm
Kleon wrote:

I think just the rear end of the handle is - ?

A thing I actually prefer in the "2", while I generally like the "1" better
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 pm
Drubieg wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm
Kleon wrote:

I think just the rear end of the handle is - ?

A thing I actually prefer in the "2", while I generally like the "1" better
Yea def the rear. I think maybe the larger choil gives the neck less “chunk” lol
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I agree with Wartstein on this. I have carried the original C36 for so many years without any issue with the liner lock that I default to using that version...muscle memory is already programmed for it.

On the other hand the Military 2 is a great feeling knife and if not using gloves or if necessary to have another clip position this would be the knife to choose.

I am glad that they are going to make both versions.

Hopefully we will see the multitude of sprints that the C36 Military offered us in its glory days!
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Kleon wrote:
Great comparison pics.

On the Mil2, is the black pocket clip painted (like on the Endura/Delica) or is it some kind of hard finish like DLC (such as used in the Mil 1 clip).
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:17 am
Kleon wrote:
Great comparison pics.

On the Mil2, is the black pocket clip painted (like on the Endura/Delica) or is it some kind of hard finish like DLC (such as used in the Mil 1 clip).
M2 Blade is DLC as far as I know . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

pleadnotguilty wrote:
IMG_5254.jpeg
IMG_5252.jpeg

Do You by any chance have the standard S30V version? If yes, are there any differences other than the steel and hadle color?
Jaret

Post by Jaret »

Last edited by Jaret on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:30 am
mark greenman wrote:
Kleon wrote:
Great comparison pics.

Yes, the question is the Black Pocket Clip - is it DLC / scratch resistant hardcoat like the Mil 1 (or some other clips Spyderco has done), or is the clip just painted black like the Endura/Delica, which I've found scratch easily.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:52 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:30 am
mark greenman wrote:
Kleon wrote:
Great comparison pics.

Yes, the question is the Black Pocket Clip - is it DLC / scratch resistant hardcoat like the Mil 1 (or some other clips Spyderco has done), or is the clip just painted black like the Endura/Delica, which I've found scratch easily.
AFAIK, Seki and China are the only factories to use "painted" pocket clips. Golden pocket clips are definitely coated, though I cannot confirm or deny if it is actually DLC coated.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Would love to see the Millie 2 run in G-10/AEB-L, and the revealed Cobalt Blue G-10/SPY27.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

weeping minora wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:05 am
Would love to see the Millie 2 run in G-10/AEB-L, and the revealed Cobalt Blue G-10/SPY27.
Me, too.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

horzuff wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:00 am
pleadnotguilty wrote:
IMG_5254.jpeg
IMG_5252.jpeg

Do You by any chance have the standard S30V version? If yes, are there any differences other than the steel and hadle color?
No, I don’t have it in s30v. I used to have an s30v chief but I gave that to my dad. Wish I could have something with me to compare it. I do like the steel color of s110v over everything else I have except cruwear.

As for internals or whatnot, I’m also not sure. I do really like s110v. I’ve had a manix as a user in that steel for a while and it’s a trooper
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very psyched to see the Millie 2 on the table during the BHQ video from Shot Show.

Also psyched on the promise of more Crucarta in Reveal 15. These days I’m buying fewer knives, and if I can get the Crucarta version straight from the factory I’m a happy camper.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.