Relics of the past

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Relics of the past

Post by vivi »

Lately I've been looking through my collection, deciding which knives should stay and which I should part with.

For a long time the Military, Police and C95 Manix were it for me. Those were my favorites, and it felt like nothing would ever change that.

Over the years the Pacific Salt started getting more pocket time while those three got less. Then the Chief, Siren, Stretch XL and other new designs came out giving those models more competition.

I was already questioning keeping around my Military 1 before the Military 2 was revealed. Even more so now.

I barely carry my Military, Police and Manix folders these days. Can't remember the last time I instinctively reached for one rather than carrying one because it's been so long since I did.

It's funny. I spent a long time tracking down the spring C95 Manix. Once I got it, I think I've carried it 3 times. I love the ergonomics, but I can carry a PE and SE Pacific Salt and have it weigh me down less.

Got some seriously nice Police folders, like K390 and pakkawood, but I prefer my Chief now. I don't think I'd miss the Police if I let go of them all.

How do you guys feel? Do you keep around the old favorites? Or do you pass them on once you warm up to the newer version?

With some models it was an easier decision than others. Didn't think twice about getting rid of the Para 1 after the 2 came out. Moved on to the Police 4 and sold my backup Police 3's quickly.

But I still hold on to a C95 I never carry, and an original Street Beat that's exquisite but stays in a drawer while the FRN version sees carry time.
:unicorn
p_atrick

Re: Relics of the past

Post by p_atrick »

Definitely feel the need to move on from models that I don’t carry. On a couple of occasions i regret trading or selling a model.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think Spyderco provides amazing options.
And I also think if you are a knife nut, those options accumulate.

I keep saying I need to start selling off my collection, but when I start trying to think about which ones to get rid of it gets difficult. Especially when generalising that to models instead of just a certain sprint or something.

I also think once you are on a forum, we are going to overthink this way too much. A non-knife person could care less about the world of differences between an endura and a pm2. For them, the only noticeable thing would be that the locks are different.

I will eventually just get it down to my favorite models with only one or two examples of my favorite models. The problem is thats still a lot of models. ;)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Still have my GB1... the foundation of my love for M4 and to a degree, Spyderco. Probably never sell it even though I rarely reach for it.

My K390 Police4 in G10 is one of the best knives I own. It cuts like no other and carries great. It came with a dull factory edge, which expedited the process of getting to know K390. I rarely reach for it anymore, but that eureka moment of K390, plus the best ergos out of Seki, and the fact that I can't buy it if I sell it means it's a keeper regardless of my current rotation.

My current preferences have changed, but I don't have to discard my old friends. Odds are that I'll be glad they stuck around when I come full circle.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

When I buy them for myself, they become permanent parts of my collection. It’s exceptionally rare that I will ever sell or move on from any knife. Even if I don’t like the knife at all, I’d be reluctant to move on from it because, well, it’s mine.

The “relics of the past” in my collection are some of the best parts of my collection. I could never get rid of them! :respect :cheap-sunglasses
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I’m about to sell off yet another round of knives I thought I would never part with. I don’t really ever have regrets about selling. I’m grateful for the time we had together and then it’s on to the next. Spyderco keeps innovating and I can’t afford to keep them all. The old ones fund the new ones for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I probably need to sell some of my knives that I never carry. It is hard to let go, however. When I want a bigger folder, I always reach for an Endura because it fits in my pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:36 pm
I probably need to sell some of my knives that I never carry. It is hard to let go, however. When I want a bigger folder, I always reach for an Endura because it fits in my pocket.
I've felt like the Police was the perfect size for me when it's opened and in my hand for a long time.

But I can't think of a time I've ever felt under knifed when carrying a Pacific Salt / Endura.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I've felt like the Police was the perfect size for me when it's opened and in my hand for a long time.

But I can't think of a time I've ever felt under knifed when carrying a Pacific Salt / Endura.
Yep. That's about it. It may be that I grew up when the Buck 110 was the knife to own and carry. My first one was in the mid '60s, perhaps 1967 or so. It is the same size as the Endura and I'm comfortable with the size.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

SG89 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:33 pm
I’m about to sell off yet another round of knives I thought I would never part with. I don’t really ever have regrets about selling. I’m grateful for the time we had together and then it’s on to the next. Spyderco keeps innovating and I can’t afford to keep them all. The old ones fund the new ones for me.
I rarely regret a sell, but there are a few models I've re-purchased.

Perrin Street Bowie - Traded my first one for a SE Pacific Salt 1, my first SE Pacific. That's the knife that got me into serrations in general, so no regrets. But I did buy another Street Bowie because I missed that knife. I've since carried it backpacking and camping, and plan to keep it around

Military - Bought a DLC seconds because I missed having one around. I rarely carry it these days but it did see a good bit of use since purchase. As much as I love the model it's bulky feeling clipped compared to the Pacific Salt, which is my baseline comparison. The tip up carry on the Military 2 will help in that respect. I plan to hold on to this one out of nostalgia - it's the model that hooked me on the brand. I don't have any other reason to hang on to it once I buy a Millie 2 from what I can see.

Street Beat - Bought the original when it was current, but sold it as I hadn't really thought out fixed blade carry at that point. After experimenting more and figuring out what works, the FRN version had become my most carried fixed blade. So I tracked down an original. I've carried it a few times but prefer the FRN version honestly. It's like my FRN Resilience vs G10 Resilience - the G10 version definitely feels and looks nicer, but the FRN version works better for me.

C95 Manix - This was my second love with Spyderco, after the Millie. I owned it in PE and CE in the original "dino" jimping runs, and a PE fine jimping example. Sold them off. 3-4 years ago bought another in PE. Sold it when I tracked down a NIB foliage green sprint, which I still have. I've carried it a few times since re-purchasing both the black and green versions, but not enough to justify the time and money spent tracking them down. Absolute beasts of a folder, but too heavy for me to want pocket 99/100 days. Feel like I should sell all my C95's and XL's to be honest, since I prefer the more nimble chief, but it's hard to let go of an old favorite.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:40 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Yep. That's about it. It may be that I grew up when the Buck 110 was the knife to own and carry. My first one was in the mid '60s, perhaps 1967 or so. It is the same size as the Endura and I'm comfortable with the size.
I grew up with a Buck 110 and a Victorinox Classic. I distinctly remember comparing my 110 to a friends SS Police at one point and thinking "this is the future of folding knives."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm not certain if this quite fits the intended subject of this thread, but...

I still have all of my knives; I've never sold or otherwise gotten rid of any of them.

Occasionally, a design I've never warmed up to has later become one of my favorites. This first happened with my first PM2. I got it in 2011; it felt boring to me, so it sat forlorn on a desk for about 6 years. Then one day, for whatever reason, I decided to carry and use it. Then I finally started to like it.

More recently, it's been my linerless G10 Native 5. Once I got it in hand in 2018, I was convinced I didn't like it. Within the past week or so, out of the blue, I decided to give it another chance. Now I really like it. It took me 4 years to rediscover it and see it from a different perspective.

When these rediscoveries of knives I already own occur, it feels almost magical. It's like getting a brand new knife, except I've already owned it for years. These cool experiences would never have happened if I had allowed my superficial first impressions to rule my decisions and moved the knives on.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I almost never sell anything, I hate dealing with low ballers and you always lose money. I've got a son and probably will have grandkids who will inherit them someday. I've gone through the same preference evolution though, I have many that were my favorite that I don't carry much today.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have a hard time selling them off. Sold off my first one recently, and it was just the right person. Made it a lot easier to part with. Other models that I had moved on from ended up being gifts to family members which felt great to give away. I prefer to gift them, but I'm running out of family members. 😂
All the kids in the family need to grow the heck up.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

If i am truly Honest. I Use and carry my old C95 and Old c101 80mm Manix more then any other spyderco in my collection. I switch edc daily and sometimes even during the day if i head out for a walk. I also carry multiple spyders around the house or on walks. But one of those 2 are almost always with me unless i go to the city or a mall.(fear of losing them)

Anyway in the end i feel that the newer spyders i have are more detailed in design and some are better in fit and finish but when it really depends on use i like the old Dogs way more then the new puppy's. So i will never Sell those so called relics in my life time. The newer spydies on the otherhand depend on how much i like them when i use them or how much i love them as a grail like the Nirvana or first gen Rubicon. But those old manixes will go with me in my grave( if it depends on me )i love those more then any other knife ever build.
Last edited by apollo on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:35 pm
Lately I've been looking through my collection, deciding which knives should stay and which I should part with.

For a long time the Military, Police and C95 Manix were it for me. Those were my favorites, and it felt like nothing would ever change that.

Over the years the Pacific Salt started getting more pocket time while those three got less. Then the Chief, Siren, Stretch XL and other new designs came out giving those models more competition.

I was already questioning keeping around my Military 1 before the Military 2 was revealed. Even more so now.

I barely carry my Military, Police and Manix folders these days. Can't remember the last time I instinctively reached for one rather than carrying one because it's been so long since I did.

It's funny. I spent a long time tracking down the spring C95 Manix. Once I got it, I think I've carried it 3 times. I love the ergonomics, but I can carry a PE and SE Pacific Salt and have it weigh me down less.

Got some seriously nice Police folders, like K390 and pakkawood, but I prefer my Chief now. I don't think I'd miss the Police if I let go of them all.

How do you guys feel? Do you keep around the old favorites? Or do you pass them on once you warm up to the newer version?

With some models it was an easier decision than others. Didn't think twice about getting rid of the Para 1 after the 2 came out. Moved on to the Police 4 and sold my backup Police 3's quickly.

But I still hold on to a C95 I never carry, and an original Street Beat that's exquisite but stays in a drawer while the FRN version sees carry time.
I always feel it best to send it to someone who will use it or collect it and it mean something to. I am not remotely sentimental though.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Roefisher wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:55 am
I'm the other way around. From the knives where I've experience of both older and newer models I now have the new Manix, Chinook & Lil' Temperance and wish I had kept the original ones I had. Maybe the Chinook is as good or better in the newer version but I definitely preferred the original Manix and Lil' Temperance.
I like youre comment i always love it when other people give love to the old manix and lil temps. And many people seem to forget the older golden made chinooks.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

A few years ago I downsized my knife collection . I basically sold off a lot of safe queens that never got any use just sitting in cabinet for display . I changed my way of thinking about what I have and purchases in the future . If I plan to use it , buy , if not walk away. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, I have a Teal Endura and a black Pingo at hand. I like these two knives. Tomorrow? Who knows? That is what I have at the moment. Spyderco makes some timeless designs and even the older stuff is still good.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050