Crossing the Canada Border with a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
les_garten

Crossing the Canada Border with a knife?

Post by les_garten »

I've been looking at the Canadian knife laws. The seem murky at best. There are some incidents of almost anything being confiscated by customs through the Post.

Has anyone had an issue with knives like Para2's, Pacific Salts, or Military's while crossing the Border? I would like to Fish my way to Alaska and having a few knives would be handy! I would be looking to carry some type of Spydie :bug-red-white
Danke

Re: Crossing the Canada Border with a knife?

Post by Danke »

I'm in Canada and pre-lockdown I'd cross the border a lot for work. They're really used to people coming through BC and Alberta traveling to Alaska and they're very picky about firearms more so than knives. But crossing any international border with any weapon is always going to give pause. A regular folding knife in a tackle box is normally fine. Switchblades or Bali's are on the no fly list.

Going the other way I would get way more interrogation from the US guards. Their hot buttons were weapons, drugs, sausages, fruit, and gifts for my friends. If I was going for a day with no gear I'd take a slipjoint. If I was going for longer with tools and gear I'd have a couple in the toolbox like an Endura and Spidiechef.

If you are planning to have pistols or other things like that along ship them to Alaska ahead of the trip. That's a common workaround.
les_garten

Post by les_garten »

I'm going to be in an 5th Wheel RV. The only folders I would consider bringing are my Salts, Para2 and Military.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Problem is declaring as weapons.

Flew from the US to Australia and didn’t tick the weapons on the card but mentioned I was a knife maker and had some knife blanks and Customs guy was “no daggers or autos” I said “no just all fixed blade camp knives”
He didn’t even check. Asked if I had to declare and he said “no”

Year before ticked “yes” to Weapons got searched and let go.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
les_garten

Post by les_garten »

I've never carried a knife and considered it as a weapon. It's a pocket knife to me or a camp knife. Been that way since Cub and Boy Scout days. If I were attacked I wouldn't even think of it to tell ya the truth. Two reasons for that I suppose, one, I carry a snubby, two, the knife I usually carry is a SuperBlue Delica.

I would never identify them as weapons. I got a LadyBug on my keychain. Needless to say, I got a crapload of Spydercos.

I was mainly wondering what they ask at the border concerning knives? And if that Spiderhole is an issue in Canada now?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I think if you're carrying the knife(s) with you, you're unlikely to have problems. Postal customs agents have had sticky fingers in recent years, but I haven't heard of problems with people carrying across the border.

I was in Canada for 8 months for work last year. Went across the border quite a few times. Never really had any searches or issues. They were far more concerned that I had a negative COVID test and my work permit was in order. Just to be in the safe side, I would probably stay away assisted knives, balisongs and automatics because their legality is questionable.

The questions I got at the border were about firearms, alcohol and tobacco. I don't think they're really that concerned about a pocket knives.

As far as carry in Canada, many of the Canadians I worked with carried folders and few carried fixed blades as edc. It probably should be mentioned that I was not in a densely populated area. What's fine in rural areas may not fly in Toronto or Vancouver.
les_garten

Post by les_garten »

Thanx!
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Times may have changed, but I have never had a problem carrying a folder, big fixed blade yes
Never a foldable spyderco or other pocket knife
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Danke

Post by Danke »

So again, when crossing an international border it's different than it used to be. I grew up in the days when US/Canada border posts were unmanned after 5. You'd stop, fill out a declaration put it in the mailbox and keep driving.

If doesn't matter if you feel your pot is medicine or your knife is a tool. What matters is what what the border agents think. And that will also count re-entering the US.

If they ever asked me if I had any weapons I'd say I have a pocketknife and then show them the slipjoint I had and they'd flat out laugh and wave me on. And if they didn't happen to ask I didn't say "want to see my knife".

A key point is not to volunteer too much information. If they don't ask about it don't give them something to question. They're already on alert for the folks driving up with a .44 mag bear defense revolver tucked under the seat that they haven't declared so you probably will get a close look.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My daughter and her family live in Toronto. We visit them regularly. And 25 years ago, we returned to the States after living in Montréal for 22 years. Not once in all the border-crossings we’ve made by car over 47 years have I been asked if I’m carrying a knife.

If you get asked, you’ve been profiled. Something about your affect will have signaled something questionable.

My affect is this: I’m the weapon, not the knife I always carry (started with SAKs but have carried assorted locking Spydies since I joined this forum). I work at appearing peaceable, and don’t need to work too hard because I am peaceable. I’m also a dual-citizen so I have a right to be on either side of the border and that comfort inflects my affect.

But don’t even think about taking a firearm (or bear spray) into Canada. If you have one on board, your day will become very complicated, tool though it is until weaponized.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yankee2

Post by yankee2 »

I just crossed into Yarmouth, NS on the ferry from Bar Harbor, ME. The customs agent did not ask about pocket knives, so I asked her what the policy was on pocket knives, and she said “no problem.” Apparently, pocket knives are NOT an issue crossing from the US into Canada.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear yankee2:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’ve lost knives at secondary inspection in Blaine. Twice.

If you bring a knife, don’t take anything you can’t afford to donate to a Canadian trash bin.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

If they ask you to step out of the vehicle, you have a 50/50 chance on keeping folders. I heard just a few days ago that they were grabbing them. Sad but true
les_garten

Post by les_garten »

That's what I am hearing. They are grabbing everything except possibly a Scharade Ol Timer with a 2" blade. They'll grab a Buck 110 because you can hold the blade and flip it open with one hand.

Flippers, forget it...

I'm worried about taking a Delica or Endura/ I believe they will confiscate those

There is a big difference between what's legal and what they will confiscate
James Y

Post by James Y »

If it were me, I'd probably take nothing more than a small, Classic-sized SAK, if that. It would be virtually impossible for someone to flip it open, or to argue that it's a weapon.

Jim
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:40 pm

If you bring a knife, don’t take anything you can’t afford to donate to a Canadian trash bin.
What knives were they?
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

bgcameron wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 am
Rinzler wrote:

What knives were they?
Delica and a backlock buck knife.
les_garten

Post by les_garten »

Rinzler wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:05 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 am
Rinzler wrote:

What knives were they?
Delica and a backlock buck knife.
Both can be opened one handed. They take the buck knife and grab by the bladed and whip open by the handle, just like you used to do as a kid. The Delica has a spyderhole, you can forget all of those.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

they can take any folder even if its stiff as heck they will open it 80% of the way and flick the rest and its still considered illegal to bring in. Law is wack. We are allowed to have them but we are not allowed to bring them in from across the border. Yet our knife dealers and suppliers are able to bring them in with no issues. I just don't understand
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin