Is it time for the Delica 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hyuaki

Is it time for the Delica 5?

Post by hyuaki »

Hello, I am fairly newish to Spyderco but not knives. Before I purchase a knife, I do my best to try it in hand before I decide to purchase. I learned that lesson from watches. Rivers Edge Cutlery is my local knife shop and so that’s where I go.

Anyway I have tried the Para 3, Manix 2, Native 5, and Delica in hand. I did not try the PM 2 because I just don’t have a need for a huge blade. The Delica 4 is the perfect size for me, thus that is what I went with.

I purchased the Teal S30v Wharncliffe. Just last week I also purchased a Byrd Meadowlark 2 G10 with the intention of performing a blade swap. Once I got it, I realized that the swap will not work unless I grind a choil into the front of the S30V blade and I just don’t want to do that.

It would be awesome to get my hands on a new Delica with the same build as the Meadowlark 2 G10 but with a better blade steel than VG10. There is nothing wrong with VG10 but better steel is always a plus. What would you all think of an upgraded version?
Michael Janich

Re: Is it time for the Delica 5?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear hyuaki:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Delica 4 is available in K390, a very nice but non stainless tool steel, and I believe Knifejoy still has their exclusive Delica 4 in 20CV stainless steel available.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Honestly, I don’t know what they would improve. The D4 is just about perfect.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm happy with VG10 personally.

I think the current strategy of offering the main models in VG10 with sprints in higher edge retention steels is well executed.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

There are exclusives out there , I only have three Delicas in three different steels and my VG10 Wharnie is still my favorite. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Welcome to this forum hyuaki, and great choice of knives. Delica s30v wharncliffe, doesn't get much better than that. I haven't tried the Meadowlark 2 so I'm curious what you like about that one-please share. I carry a similar knife to the delica (Salt 2 wharncliffe) all the time and I do not feel it is lacking a choil.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Hola Goat. I have to admit, I like the Meadowlark better than the Delica as well.

The Delica is a great knife, just not for me.

I prefer the Meadowlark/Hawkbill in that range. I do love my Salt 2 though, so light.

I'm not a huge SE fan nor a Wharnie fan but love both the Delica SE Wharnie, go VG10!, and the Meadowlark Wharnie SE. Where else can you get so much cutting power is a sub $35 knife?

I think what I like better about the Meadowlark is that the blade is longer yet the handle is shorter. Plus, on this size knife, I really like the choil.

All the more reason to try before you buy if possible. We all have our personal preferences.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

All I want is to be ground thinner behind the edge. That’s all… it’s perfect as it is.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sounds like you’re really looking for a Meadowlark upgrade. No?

I honestly don’t know how Spyderco could make the Delica4 better than it is.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I didn't think it was time for the Delica 4! :winking-tongue

The 3 is still my favorite. :1stplace:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

It would be cool if the Delica had that finger choil from the Meadowlark, but that’s probably the only thing I would change.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:27 am
It would be cool if the Delica had that finger choil from the Meadowlark, but that’s probably the only thing I would change.
^ that's kind of what I was thinking but I already put my finger in that spot on the Delica even though it doesn't actually fit. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the Delica 4. Considering what it costs to have new molds made I'd be surprised if Spyderco justified the expense just for that
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
phaust

Post by phaust »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:36 am
Haunted House wrote:
^ that's kind of what I was thinking but I already put my finger in that spot on the Delica even though it doesn't actually fit. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the Delica 4. Considering what it costs to have new molds made I'd be surprised if Spyderco justified the expense just for that
Adding a choil to the Delica/Endura is a topic that's come up a number of times over the years as you might imagine. There are a lot of strong opinions on both sides, but ultimately Sal/Spyderco had said it's not happening because there are already plenty of models with them.
z1r

Post by z1r »

phaust wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:34 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Haunted House wrote:
Adding a choil to the Delica/Endura is a topic that's come up a number of times over the years as you might imagine. There are a lot of strong opinions on both sides, but ultimately Sal/Spyderco had said it's not happening because there are already plenty of models with them.
Which is why I own both the D4 and Meadlowlark.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I don't think there are any G-10 Delicas available at the moment. Plenty of steel choices though. There is the knifecenter Pakka wood HAP40 exclusives. There used to be aftermarket scales from Flytanium though they've been sold out for a while. There might be some aftermarket options out there.

It would be an expensive build but you cpuld probably find a Ti Damascus Delica and do a scale swap.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Don't forget about the Performance Delica (high hollow grind) that will come out at some point. While the overall profile won't change, this could be a huge upgrade (so to speak).
pcguy23

Post by pcguy23 »

Delica is probably my favorite Spyderco
I have a few and this isn't even all the flavors

I have closer to 20 now, time for a new family photo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

phaust wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:34 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

... and I am really glad he said that.

As you say: "A lot of opinions on both sides", and all are valid, no doubt
MINE clearly is that the Delica is a better knife with the "ricasso" instead of the choil.
Just pros for me:
- Longer grip area on the actual (FRN) handle, enough for a good four finger grip even with larger hands (the Para 3 or Native 5 don´t give me that)
- Hand closer to the edge when not choking up
- "ricasso" still perfectly fine for choking up on it

The Delica size category is where a choil makes the least sense for me personally. In knives even smaller it is almost a must, in knives bigger it is ok or even nice to have.
And, as you also said: There ARE enough Spydies WITH choil in that size range already anyway (Native 5, Para 3 , Sage...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That sums it up pretty well.^^🙄