spyderco signal mirror

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

spyderco signal mirror

Post by Fireman »

Anyone ever do a mirror polish on a FFG blade and use the spyderco hole for an emergency signal mirror? Thinking of doing this to a few of my knives like the millie and the Spyderchef. When the Wildfire knife comes out, I will definitely do that to one. We work with a lot of aircraft on wildland fires.
https://youtube.com/shorts/WDzsqJ1zYAQ?feature=share
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: spyderco signal mirror

Post by Doc Dan »

I had forgotten how to do that. Thanks. Too many years since the Boy Scouts.

I guess a highly polished Spyderco would work for that, assuming the steel will take the polish. Some steels seem to do better than others with polishing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I can’t help but see that with a FFG and a hole that this would be a great thing to do if you backpack or have a need to signal in an emergency or just to have as a back up communication tool. Polished H1, LC200N or Magnacut would be the most intriguing me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Great idea for a backpacking knife. You could even do this on a mule, I don't have mine on hand but the hole should be big enough and it gives more real estate for shiny steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Excellent idea! Perfect for a boating knife. H1 takes a nice, shiny, high polish. A high polish is much less likely to corrode regardless of the steel but, man, a Salt steel with a high polish would be awesome.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

That's a great idea for a woods/survival knife. My compass has a mirror, so I always figured I'd use that if I were in a pinch, but having multiple signal mirrors isn't a bad idea. I don't have a lot of eclectic with polishing knives though. Honestly, I've always been one for finishes to prevent reflection. But I'll probably do this to a hunting knife in the event that something crazy happens while I'm in the woods.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think it would be a great option coming from the factory. Knife modders can do it for you. Spyderco is the perfect company to do this. My buddy on the Heletack crew has the Automomy and I bet he would have loved this option. If your radio goes wonky, it would be comforting to know you could signal. There could be a knife designed from the ground up to specialize in this utility. I’ll wait for Spyderco to contact me if interested in a special design ;)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Osok-308 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:54 am
That's a great idea for a woods/survival knife. My compass has a mirror, so I always figured I'd use that if I were in a pinch, but having multiple signal mirrors isn't a bad idea. I don't have a lot of eclectic with polishing knives though. Honestly, I've always been one for finishes to prevent reflection. But I'll probably do this to a hunting knife in the event that something crazy happens while I'm in the woods.
I have some ideas for this if Spyderco is interested. I get that sometimes you don’t want to be seen like in hunting or military purposes but there are ways to make it work.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have LC200N and magnacut. Maybe I should see how well they polish up. I don’t have H1 but we know how well that polishes up. I am sure the other two would be at least functional.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Fireman wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:16 pm
Osok-308 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:54 am
I have some ideas for this if Spyderco is interested. I get that sometimes you don’t want to be seen like in hunting or military purposes but there are ways to make it work.
Honestly, the reflection doesn't bother me for hunting now, considering this would be in my pocket ~98% of the time.
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

If that’s all you’ve got, absolutely use it.

However, it will not come close to a plate glass signal mirror with an actual sighting system. Metal or even plastic-made signal mirrors don’t have the resolution of plate glass; also, both metal and plastic lose their luster.

If you are going to be in the back country, I strongly suggest you carry and practice with a plate glass signal mirror. A good way to practice is using a reflector some distance out and hit it with the sighting system. Compare it to a dedicated plastic signal mirror (or compass) or metal mirror and you will see the difference immediately in brightness returned in the reflector — not even close. Also, that sighting system is critical to hit a target at a distance, especially when having to redirect the sun at a large angle.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for the thoughtful post. This reminds me of the 9mm on you is better than the 45 in the truck. Lots of people EDC a pocket knife but not a signal mirror. Anything of importance, I have back ups for. If you could add some utility or safety with just a change of finish, that is cool imho