"As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hrzu

Re: "As close to perfection as possible" folder from Spyderco?

Post by hrzu »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:21 pm
Sage lightweight m4 BHQ model.
100% agree, Sage 5 lightweight m4 BHQ model is still in stock with the green mint and black blade (m4). Excellent knife, makes it into my pocket everyday.
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

The Chaparral is my choice out of the models I have got to handle so far, I would love to see scales in a polished micarta on one someday but that's more about personal preference than functionality. I still have a Sage 5 and a Smock on my wish list at the moment, so my opinion could change, but I kind of doubt it.
-Jimmy
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:39 pm
The Chaparral is my choice out of the models I have got to handle so far, I would love to see scales in a polished micarta on one someday but that's more about personal preference than functionality. I still have a Sage 5 and a Smock on my wish list at the moment, so my opinion could change, but I kind of doubt it.

Hard to argue with your choice. A very refined knife indeed.
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:47 pm
It’s kinda strange spyderco didn’t keep their most balanced utilitarian folding pocket knife design in production..the Caly 3!

Am likewise puzzled.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The yet to be Magna cut or LC200N Salt Millie
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

The Chaparral "Stealth" Ti is the closest locking folder to perfection for me -- super thin and slicey blade, great choice of steel, forward choil, thumb hole, back-lock, incredible workable blade shape, in-hand ergonomics, wire clip, etc.

For absolute perfection on the Chaparral, swap the scales to flat Ti (this is honestly a nitpick more than anything else) or "smooth" FRN pattern (Smooth LW variant please!). A man can dream...

For a one-handed non-locking folder, the UKPK Salt is perfection. There isn't a single thing I'd change about it.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Dual post
Last edited by MournfulCongregant on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
MournfulCongregant

From what I have, the Sage 5 Mint M4 is the most perfect comp lock I have, I bought one for me, my fiance EDC's one. It lasted exactly five months to the day of daily use before a touch-up was needed. I compare all other comp locks to it. The Police 4 is absolutely amazing with the wave function added... For a linerless knife, the Native 5 LW Rex 45 is impressive, and the Chaparral CF is all class.

My perfect ideal dream-Spyderco that I'll ask for if I, like, save one of the Glesser's life... Hmm, give it three blades, Dyad-style, but more. Dual CBBL, or (CBBL/Comp) on the two biggest blades: main blade is a 4" plainedge blade similar to the Military, (this could be on the comp) in K390. Second main blade is a reverse-S blade, a 4" scaled-up Civilian/Ma2 blade, made of CPM-Cruwear or Magnacut (tough, won't break, easy to get sharp) maybe with thicker tip for potential utility use. Civilian must be beautifully fileworked on the back, as to make it look serrated on both sides, as a famous knifemaker did.

And lastly, on an unobtrusive lock like Spyderco's old phantom lock, (what seems to be a less obtrusive back-lock analogue) to not interfere with the compression locks.... a thinnish, slliiiightly thinner-than-Endura, in a tough steel with edge retention but easy to sharpen, like Magnacut, Cruwear, anything good for a thin, rough geometry, like a sailor knife. wharncliffe blade in like the Yurco-reground Jandura thin. This would be a work-blade, kind of like a utility razor, much like I use that Yurco knife. Janich-style or regular, but I prefer the Janicliffe! It's super useful.

Wave the Reverse-S, on one side, other two on the other tip-down. Handle like original Manix, flared on both ends and ergo'd to be comfortable on both grips. Burgundy G-10 scales ala-Bark River or David Mary.

I'd love a small SAK with some smaller Spyderco blades on it, like the Cricket, or the K390 Wharnie D-fly.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

For me it’s usually the last one I carried.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MournfulCongregant wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:25 am
From what I have, the Sage 5 Mint M4 is the most perfect comp lock I have, I bought one for me, my fiance EDC's one. It lasted exactly five months to the day of daily use before a touch-up was needed.
I must ask, what was being cut daily for 5 months and then in turn, only needing a touch up? M4 is good stuff, but this seems a bit extreme!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's like when I read kitchen knife reviews and they talk about them holding an edge for half a year without being sharpened. Then I remember most people only use kitchen knives at home :p
:unicorn
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Spyderco Dragonfly. Minimal fasteners, no liners. Carries well with or without the pocket clip.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:36 pm
The yet to be Magna cut or LC200N Salt Millie
I heard that one is coming soon…they’re calling it the Stretch XL Salt.

*I mean, not really…but kind of.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

The Kapara.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:40 pm
The Chaparral "Stealth" Ti is the closest locking folder to perfection for me -- super thin and slicey blade, great choice of steel, forward choil, thumb hole, back-lock, incredible workable blade shape, in-hand ergonomics, wire clip, etc.

For absolute perfection on the Chaparral, swap the scales to flat Ti (this is honestly a nitpick more than anything else)

(...)
Basically this. Chap + Ti scales + Magnacut blade (bonus if it comes in black DLC) :smiling-heart-eyes

I have yet to try the Native 5 (waiting for the Magnacut version) but it should be pretty close.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

It's like the Manix 2 was custom molded for my hand. Both the G10 and LW models are pretty darn close to perfection for me.
gad226

Post by gad226 »

+1 For the Chaparral, especially the Ti versions. A matte/beadblasted Ti scale might bring the price down a little.
Now we just need an Endura sized chaparral or an Endura with a stop pin.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

gad226 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:18 pm
Now we just need an Endura sized chaparral or an Endura with a stop pin.

Is the Sage 4 the only other knife to have that stop pin?
MournfulCongregant

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:32 am
MournfulCongregant wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:25 am
From what I have, the Sage 5 Mint M4 is the most perfect comp lock I have, I bought one for me, my fiance EDC's one. It lasted exactly five months to the day of daily use before a touch-up was needed.
I must ask, what was being cut daily for 5 months and then in turn, only needing a touch up? M4 is good stuff, but this seems a bit extreme!
Oh, I should be a little more specific here - it did not spend 8hrs a day, 7 days a week, for five months, cutting things constantly. What I mean is, it held up as a normal (read: light, not a huge cutting-centric job where you're taking apart straps, boxes, packs, all the time, but still cutting things daily) EDC knife, without needing any touch-up, for five months.

The knife, the Sage 5, is my fiance's knife and her daily carry at work. She just cuts whatever needs cutting day-to-day, this may include some cardboard boxes, taped up packs, various donation containers that will not open. When she gave it to me for a touch-up, any "non-knife" person would call it still plenty sharp, it was not dull by a sight, she goes off of feeling only, and when she was trying to cut some bubble wrapped boxes and the blade was stalling out where it normally glides through, she knew a touchup was needed.

So, it is under near-daily light use, on things as easy as bubblewrap and plastic and on things as abrasive as cardboard and hard plastic zipties/packing at worst. The main thing is, she needn't worry about damaging the edge on that leaf-blade with M4, and for her uses, aka, "normal people uses", it held up five months. And this is just because she knew it needed a touch-up, she could have theoretically kept it pushing for much longer.