On the fence

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
billdoier72

On the fence

Post by billdoier72 »

Have been seriously considering buying a Dragonfly 2 K390.
But having never had one in hand, I'm not sure.
I have a Chaparral in XHP and really like it.
Are the two similar in hand?
Or is the Dragonfly a different experience all together?
I am partial to tool steels and don't have K390 in my current line up.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Manixguy@1994

Re: On the fence

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would say a different experience. I lean towards larger knives ( no secret here ) but have carried a DF2 Salt in my weak side pocket for going on 3 years . I also have a DF2 exclusive in CPM20V. No regrets, great small knife, think one in K390 would be a work horse. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

I love the DF2 due to its small size and light weight. The K390 is a bonus. The Chap is similarly sized as as as handle goes but offers considerably more blade. That at a cost of more weight. Glad I have both.

Crappy pic but DF2 bottom left and Chap 2nd from left on top row.

My experience is that the DF2 doesn't fill the hand like a Chap would but that is offset by it being so compact.

FWIW, my EDC consists of a DF2 in one pocket, and K390 Endela in the other. When I only carry one knife, it's usually a Chaparral.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Gonna have to say different experience as well. 'Both good, just different'. DF2 is more of a horseshoe in the hand, the chappy is more of a ruler in the hand. Typing that I realize it may or may not be useful to you, because it's kind of apparent from looking at them, but that's the best way I can put it.

I end up holding the DF2 in more of a "hooky" "claw" type grip, whereas the chap has more versatility in the different grips my hand can take on it. Personal mileage will always vary with these things, though!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

The Dragonfly and Chaparral are two of my favorite knives.

The Dragonfly is lighter, smaller, and feels slightly different. It really fits the little big knife moniker, though. Probably the knife I carry the most.

The Chaparral is slimmer, a little larger/longer, and heavier - but is quite more hardy than its slim profile appears. Very useful, while still compact. Has the same blade edge length as a Native, basically.

The k390 version should really make you smile…
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Totally different knife, but still great! Plus, does it get better than K390 for tool steel junkies?!? Old comparo pic:

Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

The Dragonfly is probably worth a try but, for what it's worth, it wasn't comfortable for me, where the Chaparral is fine.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

For me, the Dragonfly isn't large enough to be comfortable, but it's probably the best small knife I have. It's certainly the smallest I carry. The Chaparral's selling point IMO is a longer edge and thinner blade, still in a small package. Lots of handle choices, too!
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Well, you guys pushed me over the edge.

I just ordered the Dragonfly 2 K390 Wharncliffe from GP Knives.

I'll let you all know about the F&F and all that when it gets here.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think you will be happy. It's hard to imagine not appreciating a Dragonfly. Let us know.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm a medium/large or large kind of knife guy myself, but there's a few smaller models I really appreciate and the Dragonfly is one of them. I no longer have a Chap, but that is also a fine knife and I found them to have quite a different feel. I think it's worth it, especially if you already have that itch!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Someone here recently said that the Dragonfly is not comfortable in hand. I have two and agree.

Then it struck me that the Dragonfly is not intended for long and challenging work. But it will do in a pinch when a more comfortable knife is not at hand. And for small work, the model is ideal.

If small knives become your thing, don’t overlook the Urbans and Lil’Natives. IMO, they buy you a more comfortable grip and beefier blade to better deal with long and challenging work.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Dragonfly is the Lotus Elise of the LBK line. Probably smallest/lightest knife I can get a serious grip on. It actually carries decently well inside the waistband.

The Chap is more sophisticated. In my weird metaphor it’s a Lotus Extige. An excellent design but less bare-bones.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dragonflies are like popcorn. Once you try one, you have to have more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

The big difference is the size and weight, but the thumb ramp is the biggest thing for me. Makes the knife a bit less comfy.

I also find that the curve of the Dragonfly handle causes the knife to feel that it has more of a negative blade angle.

I've also never had a Dragonfly that didn't have a fair bit of play and lock rock. Coming from the Chaparral, that can be a bit jarring. It's not ideal, but the charms of the Dragonfly make it easier to ignore.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Back when I wanted a really small Spydie primarily as an iwb knife for running it was between the Chap FRN and the DFly and I had both in hand.

And while the DFly actually has almost just half the weight of the Chap I decided for the latter and never looked back - for several reasons: Chap did not really feel like a much larger carry to me, but offers over 20 % more cutting edge, an even slicier blade and that rock solid back lock and bomb proof, but extremely slim built that actually made it much more than "just" a running knife for me - but rather an all around, (also) hard use outdoor small folder.

That said: It was NOT easy to part with that DFly again, it is a really cool knife, and, to your question: In another way than the Chap and so for me actually a "different experience" indeed.

If I was into small Spydies or even if I just would not try to keep my user array as slim as possible, I´d certainly own a Dfly too. and to be honest: I am sometimes "on the fence" a bit too and think about getting a wharnie or the Salt SE or the orange handled "regular" one just for the "cool factor". I just know that I´d probably almost never carry it, but grab my Chap or Salt 2 SE instead, since these two are really small folders for me personally already, and I value a good amount of cutting edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Well, the little Dragonfly arrived today.

The F&F are on point. Even grind, centered blade, etc.

Out of the box sharpness was the weakest point and not up to the usual standard. But that is the least of my worries when buying a knife as long as all else is right.

I look forward to getting to know this knife and steel.

Thanks for all the encouragement!
Attachments
Dragonfly1.jpg
Dragonfly3.jpg
Dragonfly2.jpg
Dragonfly4.jpg
z1r

Post by z1r »

Hard not to like a DF2, especially in K390! Congrats!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Looks great.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

billdoier72 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:57 pm
Well, the little Dragonfly arrived today.

The F&F are on point. Even grind, centered blade, etc.

Out of the box sharpness was the weakest point and not up to the usual standard. But that is the least of my worries when buying a knife as long as all else is right.

I look forward to getting to know this knife and steel.

Thanks for all the encouragement!
I had a similar out-of-the-box edge experience with my K390 (leaf blade) dragon fly. I think maybe it's a relatively new steel and their factory sharpening just isn't always quite up to the task of getting a good clean apex on it. That being said, K390 sharpens remarkably easily for its extreme edge performance and I was able to get it shaving sharp freehand, although it's not the prettiest edge ever.