Corrosion Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Senfkarte

Re: Corrosion Reports

Post by Senfkarte »

I forgot to take pictures but still wanted to share my experience with CPM-15V.

After carrying my CPM-15V Manix a lot without any treatment to prevent corrosion, besides wiping the blade clean with a dry rag, I put it in a drawer for two weeks.
After that time it had many small rust spots all over the blade. The spots mostly could be removed with a dry rag or by sharpening, depending on the location of the spots.
This is after most of the spots had been removed:
IMG_20230725_130316_460~2.jpg
Hard to show but most of the spots are gone. What's left of the spots is fine for me. Still visible but that's character, something that belongs on a tool steel blade.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I think I actually got a couple spots of patina on my VG-10 Endura. I've heard that it does corrode for some people in certain environments, but I wasn't sure how it would patina and neither did I expect it to happen. I don't think it was sweat or humidity, although it gets plenty of that this summer in southern Arkansas. It seems to have been caused by some weed vines I cut, the sap was left on the blade for maybe 20 min. and when I cleaned off the blade later there was a couple dark spots and some darkening near the tip.

Probably no surprise for many here, but I didn't expect it on a stainless steel, not that I am remotely bothered by it. In fact it almost makes me wonder if I could force a patina on the whole blade. I like patina, it breaks up the monotony of a silver blade and does so much cheaper than damascus.
Last edited by Scandi Grind on Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

And you thought you had problems...

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

Similar results on a 15V manix. After wiping (but not oiling) the blade before putting away for a week, I came back to tiny red rusts spots peppering the blade. My k390 tends to form black oxide spots -- not red rust. It cleaned up easily with bar keepers friend, but I'll have to be more careful in the future. I think it's a bit more reactive than k390.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:15 pm
Here is one of the most important tools for corrosion.

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND.

Rust cleaned in mere moments with no scrubbing as you can see in the demonstration video.

Simply wet, apply, rub clean and dry.

Friends don't let friends use steel wool and Flitz, because they are not as effective and change the surface finish on the knife.
I need to try this! Do you prepare the paste from powder, or do you use the liquid version of BKF?
I’m ready to order it overseas if it is that good. On Amazon, I see this Cleanser, but also Cleansing Cream and Multi-surface cleaner. If you treat a rust spot with BKF on carbon steel, does it turn it to a black patina like sulfuric acid or Ballistol will do, or does it remove it to bare metal like Flitz? I remember reading on BF that BKF still scratches the surface...
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
vivi

Post by vivi »

can confirm, I use it on my white steel knives when they get any orange or red.
:unicorn
Stas

Post by Stas »

Anyone ever try Renaissance Metal De-Corroder?
https://restorate.co.uk/products/renais ... e-corroder
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
D.Newman

Post by D.Newman »

Not much to report but there was a small bit of red rust on my Rex45 Native 5 just under the scale on the show side. I've carried this knife quite a bit at work (auto mechanic) and at home on my small farm doing chores. I kind of expected more since it didn't always get wiped down after use.

It wiped right off. I coated it with a thin layer of oil before reassembly with the new scales.
Stas

Post by Stas »

D.Newman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:34 am
Not much to report but there was a small bit of red rust on my Rex45 Native 5 just under the scale on the show side. I've carried this knife quite a bit at work (auto mechanic) and at home on my small farm doing chores. I kind of expected more since it didn't always get wiped down after use.

It wiped right off. I coated it with a thin layer of oil before reassembly with the new scales.
Nice. What did you use to wipe it down? Looks like it completely disappeared.
D.Newman

Post by D.Newman »

Stas wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:04 am
D.Newman wrote:

Just a paper towel with some KPL on it from the previous knife.
Stas

Post by Stas »

D.Newman wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:28 am
Stas wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:04 am
D.Newman wrote:

Just a paper towel with some KPL on it from the previous knife.
Interesting. Probably very superficial.
I recently found three mystery brown micro spots in the grooves of the satin finish on my Cruwear Ayoob SE. It took some time, but I managed to remove them with a microfiber swab and some Flitz paste. I didn't try oil or Ballistol this time, thinking it wouldn't have any effect.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Saw this through the scales on my MagnaCut Mule...
I thought it was interesting that the scale hardware didn't have any rust on it.
I did a quick rub down with ISO and got the bulk off but it will take a little more effort to remove the rest.
-Turbo
Stas

Post by Stas »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:26 pm
Saw this through the scales on my MagnaCut Mule...
I thought it was interesting that the scale hardware didn't have any rust on it.
I did a quick rub down with ISO and got the bulk off but it will take a little more effort to remove the rest.
Wow, that's impressive! I didn't anticipate coming across Salt steel in this thread.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Wish i had known about this thread before the last time i cleaned my knife, but heres my Lc200N pacific salt. One of my jobs is that I do fly fishing charters on the ocean and this was my knife i carried every single charter all year. Got sprayed with salt everyday, went underwater a lot, and aside from rain, never got rinsed or cleaned until last week. I got some, albeit an extremely limited amount, of rust. On the blade there was a very small amount at the edge of the grind , most came off with a oiled qtip, this was all left after (see pic. ) There was some around the pivot when i oiled it, and inside on the lock but again limited "scrubbing" removed most of it. I never had h1 dp this. But its still an incredibly rust resistant steel (not that where any doubt) If this is all i saw after a whole year, i cant imagine anyone seeing worse on a heavily carried knife in the saltwater. Great stuff. My newly ordered manix magnacut will replace it next year and eager to see how well it does compared.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231223_183239_Gallery.jpg
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Windward wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm
Wish i had known about this thread before the last time i cleaned my knife, but heres my Lc200N pacific salt. One of my jobs is that I do fly fishing charters on the ocean and this was my knife i carried every single charter all year. Got sprayed with salt everyday, went underwater a lot, and aside from rain, never got rinsed or cleaned until last week. I got some, albeit an extremely limited amount, of rust. On the blade there was a very small amount at the edge of the grind , most came off with a oiled qtip, this was all left after (see pic. ) There was some around the pivot when i oiled it, and inside on the lock but again limited "scrubbing" removed most of it. I never had h1 dp this. But its still an incredibly rust resistant steel (not that where any doubt) If this is all i saw after a whole year, i cant imagine anyone seeing worse on a heavily carried knife in the saltwater. Great stuff. My newly ordered manix magnacut will replace it next year and eager to see how well it does compared.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I carry a PS2 and a Siren in Lc200n for Kayak fishing duties nearly 300 days a year (pacific ocean).
I use the Siren a lot for removing the heads and light filleting duties, too. The knives get rinsed a few tomes per month, and have remained completely rust free.
Windward

Post by Windward »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:47 pm
Windward wrote:
I carry a PS2 and a Siren in Lc200n for Kayak fishing duties nearly 300 days a year (pacific ocean).
I use the Siren a lot for removing the heads and light filleting duties, too. The knives get rinsed a few tomes per month, and have remained completely rust free.

Yeah i was kind of surprised to see any too. But considering how minor it is compared to everything else i used (not counting h1), i still think its an excellent steel, and among my favorites......Popped the same pacific salt 2 open again yesterday to get some sand out and took some more pics of the extremely limited rust. This was all that was left that after cleaning once at the end of about 200+ days of daily saltwater exposure without as much as a rinse.

RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Windward wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:05 am
RazorSharp86 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:47 pm
Windward wrote:

Yeah i was kind of surprised to see any too. But considering how minor it is compared to everything else i used (not counting h1), i still think its an excellent steel, and among my favorites......Popped the same pacific salt 2 open again yesterday to get some sand out and took some more pics of the extremely limited rust. This was all that was left that after cleaning once at the end of about 200+ days of daily saltwater exposure without as much as a rinse.

You’re right. Everything considered, it isn’t bad at all!
Most regular stainless knives and other tools rust like crazy when exposed to salt water on my kayak - pliers, hooks, split rings, clips, etc.

Love myself LC200N!
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Sadly I forgot to take pictures but still wanted to share here.
I disassembled my CPM 15V Manix 2 a few weeks ago after carrying it for nearly a year in and around the house.
Honestly, it was a nice surprise to just find one rusty spot in the hidden part. The spot was not small, but most of it just wiped away with a dry rag. Some very fine sandpaper got rid of the rest.
All in all, I'm very pleased with the corrosion resistance of the 15V. I'm sure, the finish does it part too.
R100

Post by R100 »

I pulled apart my K390 Endura today to put some new scales on it and just as Vivi reported with his Police 4, the stainless liners had more corrosion than the blade. Weird.

Dan
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Awesome thread 👏👏👏