Spyderco Kitchen knives. Amazing.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Spyderco Kitchen knives. Amazing.

Post by Archimedes »

I have been buying knives for longer than I can remember. I have dozens of Spyderco's. I have dozens of other brands and customs. I never even blink at spending money on a knife I want. Yet, I had for the my entire life the crappiest kitchen knives that you could own. I can sharpen a knife so I thought they were pretty good. Oh, how wrong I was. I truly can't believe how incredible these kitchen knives are. I may have a new addiction...LOL. Kitchen knives.

These things are so light and comfortable in the hand. Plus they cut like nothing is there. They go right through anything.

I highly recommend them.
IMG_7966.jpeg
Scandi Grind

Re: Spyderco Kitchen knives. Amazing.

Post by Scandi Grind »

Apparently there is some sort of mystic science behind making good kitchen knives. I never thought it was a big deal until I've read what some people have said about true high end kitchen cutlery. Unfortunately my kitchen knives take too muck abuse by other users who aren't as careful with a blade as I am and my wallet is too thin to spend much money on something that I can get by without. Maybe I'll buy just a chef knife one day since that gets used the most.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

These may be encrusted with Cartier diamonds in the blade and handle otherwise the pricing doesn't make much sense, but that's usual now with many Spydercos.

I've imported from Japan a Tojiro Fujitora DP 3-Layer Gyuto Knife 21cm laminated VG10 blade 60 HRC/Composite wood, with transport and EU tax/VAT it was 100EUR. In US on Amazon is $86.

Alternatively a 20cm BD1N blade/G10 handle from Murray Cartier Collection is 324EUR in effing EU
https://www.knivesandtools.nl/en/pt/-sp ... -k18gp.htm

I can import 3 Tojiros for the price of one of these and still have some cash left for beer and sandwiches.

I'm sure they're well made and cut awesome but there is no difference in materials and performance that can justify +3 times the price difference.

It's probably just paying for Murray Cartier name which I don't care about and then Spyderco got into selling Rolexes lately...
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

This is one of the main arguments I hear on this forum. You can get similar performance for less. Basically Spyderco is over priced. You could get 3 knives and beer and sandwiches for the price of one Spyderco. I bet I could get 4 knives and beer, sandwiches plus chips for the price of one Spyderco. So beat that. You are talking an entire extra knife, plus chips.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:33 am
Tojiro Fujitora DP 3-Layer Gyuto Knife 21cm laminated VG10 blade 60 HRC/Composite wood
It's not at all surprising the Amazon Tojiro in VG10 clad with mystery stainless is cheaper. But, you don't have to pay MSRP for these Minarais. I was personally happy with what I paid when compared to what I would spend on a comparable Japanese knife.