On the fence: Cruwear PM2, S45VN PM2...a couple questions before pulling trigger

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pcexbird

On the fence: Cruwear PM2, S45VN PM2...a couple questions before pulling trigger

Post by Pcexbird »

I've finally decided on the Paramilitary 2.

So it's come down to either to Paramilitary 2 in Cruwear or in S45VN...

I worry about the rare possibility of chipping with S45VN...is chipping of the blade much less common on the Cruwear blades? Is there any reason the Cruwear seems to be a bit more money; even more so than the S45VN steel version which appears in huge quantities of of Paramilitary 2's?

Is there any true advantage to purchasing the PM2 in Cruwear instead of the PM2 in S45VN? Disadvantages?

I'm very new to Spyderco and apologize for the newbie question I've been saving a long time to get a knife.

P.S. I do live in coastal south Florida but do not go out on the saltwater, boat, beach or fish at all. Not sure if corrosion resistance alone would be a deal breaker on the Cruwear. I've decided 100% on the Paramilitary 2 but it's just down to picking the right blade steel. I am also inexperienced (but learning) in sharpening but have a Sharpsmaker on order. Hope this helps.

Any advice is much appreciated.
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight
TkoK83Spy

Re: On the fence: Cruwear PM2, S45VN PM2...a couple questions before pulling trigger

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DLT Trading has the PM2 in Cruwear available right now for a great price! I doubt you'd be able to tell a difference between the two steels in use or sharpening. I'm not sure on the corrosion side of things, though Cruwear is VERY POPULAR around here and I haven't read any complaints about rust.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... wear-blade
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Hopsbreath

Re: On the fence: Cruwear PM2, S45VN PM2...a couple questions before pulling trigger

Post by Hopsbreath »

Personally I enjoy patina, it gives knives character. However, living in central Florida I haven’t seen much darkening on my Cruwear. Although not stainless, it’s far more corrosion resistant than steels like 1095, O1, or 52100. With little maintenance it’ll likely remain highly functional for longer than yourself. With that in mind, the extra theoretical toughness made me keep my Cruwear over the S45VN.
benben

Post by benben »

As long as you already know you want the PM2, honestly you'll be happy with either steel! For me I'd go with Cru-Wear, but I really like Cru-Wear. Rick's link above is pretty tempting! Good luck and enjoy your new knife, now down the rabbit hole you go!
razehound

Post by razehound »

Pcexbird wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:27 pm
I do live in coastal south Florida but do not go out on the saltwater, boat, beach or fish at all. Not sure if corrosion resistance alone would be a deal breaker on the Cruwear.
If it's not a big deal to you, then Cruwear. Otherwise, S45VN.

Both are imo the best steels the PM2 has come in. I personally prefer S45VN simply for ease of mind.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:42 pm
Personally I enjoy patina, it gives knives character. However, living in central Florida I haven’t seen much darkening on my Cruwear. Although not stainless, it’s far more corrosion resistant than steels like 1095, O1, or 52100. With little maintenance it’ll likely remain highly functional for longer than yourself. With that in mind, the extra theoretical toughness made me keep my Cruwear over the S45VN.
I think this is something that is frequently forgotten about these high-performance tool steels: even though they're not stainless, they're still *far* more corrosion resistant than the simple carbon steels, and we are living in an age of technological marvels due to improved materials technology. A Cru-wear knife would have been considered unthinkable magic in medieval times.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pcexbird wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:27 pm
I've finally decided on the Paramilitary 2.

So it's come down to either to Paramilitary 2 in Cruwear or in S45VN...

Your very first post on this forum tells me that you actually already HAVE a PM2 in S30V, right? (the one you snapped the tip on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92371&p=1621637#p1621637)

I have no experience with both S45VN and Cruwear (but with S30V), but if you want to try something just a little bit different go Cruwear, since S30V and S45 VN are really very similar by their specs.

Though actually I doubt that I could tell a difference between S45 VN and Cruwear either in a folder blade, where I don´t think that the greater toughness of Cruwear really comes into play.

Personally I´d actually stick with S30V anyway for the a bit higher edge retention.

Corrosion has never been an issue for me at all, also not on steels like REX 45 which are less rustproof than Cruwear.

(All specs I mention are from this https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/ article by Dr. Larrin Thomas).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Both are great. You can't go wrong. You could flip a coin and win either way.

I find Cruwear to be one of those steels that I can make crazy sharp in a minute or two. I don't think S45 is particularly hard to sharpen though.

I live in a dry desert area, so corrosion issues are almost non-existent for me. But unless you have an exceptional corrosion concern, either of these should serve you well.

But I agree with Wartstein's comments. If you already have a PM2 in S30V, you will find scarcely a difference with S45VN, and if I was you, I would go with the Cruwear for just that reason. Get something a bit different and expand your experience. I really enjoy the knives I have in Cruwear.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

agreed with all of the above based on my experience of cruwear, & esp if you already have an s30v blade

one thing to consider is what i think tkok83spy is pointing out - there are 2 cruwear models out there right now

of the two, i cannot recommend the micarta highly enough. i'd almost recommend that model for the scales even over the steels. i may be alone in this, but the feeling of those micarta scales is the best in the business. it is a genuine sensory pleasure every time i pick up that knife; i've never had micarta scales that felt as feathery and pleasant as these before. most just feel like a warmer g10.

add the cruwear in, without even mentioning the excellent color of the scales, and i can't recommend the crucarta pm2 enough. it's just about the best spyderco knife available in production for my money.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I doubt you'll see a difference, maybe some rust spot here and there.

Cruwear can take more beating, but is way less stainless than s45vn... but that's quite marginal.

I don't think a Cruwear PM2 makes much sens though. The PM2 is a pure slicer, it's not a hard-use knife. Cruwear makes the most sens on Shaman, Native 5 of Benchmade Adamas kind of folders.
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

bleasure wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:19 pm
agreed with all of the above based on my experience of cruwear, & esp if you already have an s30v blade

one thing to consider is what i think tkok83spy is pointing out - there are 2 cruwear models out there right now

of the two, i cannot recommend the micarta highly enough. i'd almost recommend that model for the scales even over the steels. i may be alone in this, but the feeling of those micarta scales is the best in the business. it is a genuine sensory pleasure every time i pick up that knife; i've never had micarta scales that felt as feathery and pleasant as these before. most just feel like a warmer g10.

add the cruwear in, without even mentioning the excellent color of the scales, and i can't recommend the crucarta pm2 enough. it's just about the best spyderco knife available in production for my money.
The only thing about the Micarta one is that it has full liners so the possibility of swapping scales I don;t think I could do. I might just pull trigger on the DLT exclusive in PUrple G10 on sale right now. Thanks for your help on this too
E|D|C
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Xformer wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:22 pm
I doubt you'll see a difference, maybe some rust spot here and there.

Cruwear can take more beating, but is way less stainless than s45vn... but that's quite marginal.

I don't think a Cruwear PM2 makes much sens though. The PM2 is a pure slicer, it's not a hard-use knife. Cruwear makes the most sens on Shaman, Native 5 of Benchmade Adamas kind of folders.
Real-world cutting tasks frequently test both the wear resistance and the toughness of a steel, and Cru-wear has a great combination of both properties that leans towards toughness, but it is a wonderful all-around steel as long as stainlessness is not a high prioerity.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

All I hear about Cruwear is that even though it doesn't have enough Chromium to qualify as a "stainless", it does better than you would predict from the content. But like I say, I live in the desert and don't put such properties to the test.

I like Cruwear because of its sharpening response. An inept sharpener like myself can get it really really sharp with very little effort, and that makes me give it several gold stars.

Also, I think toughness manifests itself in small scale properties, like edges not chipping and such -- so it is a valuable property even in a modest sized folder. Mind you I would be happy to see Spyderco use Cruwear in a fixed blade.

Compared to steels like K390 and Rex45, Cruwear seems like a stainless. And I don't have trouble with those tool steels.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:04 pm

Also, I think toughness manifests itself in small scale properties, like edges not chipping and such -- so it is a valuable property even in a modest sized folder. ...

Tom and others, to what extend (if at all) do you think the higher toughness of Cruwear over S45VN translates in Cruwear being able to take more acute edge angles without chipping?

Cause IF Cruwear can take steeper angles than S45VN, those more acute edges would translate in better edge retention again... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I prefer Cruwear! Not because I am a hard user, but I like the extra toughness for the odd occasion when I unexpectedly inflict a hard knock.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Pcexbird:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:45 am
Dear Pcexbird:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike

Wow thanks Michael! I watch your videos and love the work you did on the Yojimbo 2! Big fan here
E|D|C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m in the Big Bend area of Florida and my Z-Wear Shaman (identical steel composition to Cruwear) has gone for numerous dunkings on freshwater canoe trips. It’s been totally fine. I’ve picked up some minor corrosion from heavy sweating doing yard work, but what I’ve seen is surface only and it cleans right off with flitz.

Nothing about s45vn gets me excited, and as others have pointed out the DLT purple cruwear PM2 exclusive is still in stock. In general, I’d always suggest getting the desirable limited production version when it’s a choice.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Don't have experience with Spyderco's Cru-Wear but have experience with another company's Cru-Wear folder.

If I'm being totally honest... I don't find much differentiation between S30V, S35VN, S45VN, and Cru-Wear in folding knives in terms of edge retention & toughness, at least in my work context (cutting a lot of cardboard—at least 60 ft per day—and yards & yards of pallet wrap).

In terms of corrosion resistance... my one (non-Spyderco) Cru-Wear knife exhibited edge discolouration after a week of cutting damp cardboard, but nothing that worried me overmuch.

I guess what I'm saying is, for what I use a folding knife for, there isn't much differentiation between the S30V family of steels & Cru-Wear (I mean, obviously, if you're chopping with your folder, Cru-Wear will probably be on top, but who chops with a folder?)