How about a H1 Spyderco version of a milspec-style clearance knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Estrella

How about a H1 Spyderco version of a milspec-style clearance knife

Post by Estrella »

These are a big thing amongst the military community at the moment with some army's actually now training their soldiers in the use of these knives, specifically as a backup weapon for CQB and clearing rooms of enemy combatants in the event that your primary/secondary weapon fails and you have to go hand to hand.

I've looked far and wide and although there are many flavors to choose from, to my knowledge no one is making a rust proof version of these knives.
Edge holding ability is not necessarily the primary concern here (just how many enemy combatants are you realistically planning to engage in close-quarter hand to hand combat, and enough times that it blunts your knife!?!)

More importantly they need to be stoutly made, low maintenance and impervious to the elements, salt water and humidity for long periods of time.

Would love to see a spyderco version of these on the market!

Attachments
knife.jpg
Naperville

Re: How about a H1 Spyderco version of a milspec-style clearance knife

Post by Naperville »

Estrella wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:08 am
These are a big thing amongst the military community at the moment with some army's actually now training their soldiers in the use of these knives, specifically as a backup weapon for CQB and clearing rooms of enemy combatants in the event that your primary/secondary weapon fails and you have to go hand to hand.

I've looked far and wide and although there are many flavors to choose from, to my knowledge no one is making a rust proof version of these knives.

Edge holding ability is not necessarily the primary concern here (just how many enemy combatants are you realistically planning to engage in close-quarter hand to hand combat, and enough times that it blunts your knife!?!)

More importantly they need to be stoutly made, low maintenance and impervious to the elements, salt water and humidity for long periods of time.

It sounds like you want H1, LC200N or MagnaCut.

Edge holding is always important because the first thing you might do is to jam the knife blade into your opponents vest, which would rapidly dull it. If edge holding is never a factor, then get an awl or on the opposite end of the spectrum, a mini baseball bat.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
phaust

Post by phaust »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:18 am
Estrella wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:08 am

It sounds like you want H1, LC200N or MagnaCut.

Edge holding is always important because the first thing you might do is to jam the knife blade into your opponents vest, which would rapidly dull it. If edge holding is never a factor, then get an awl or on the opposite end of the spectrum, a mini baseball bat.
Estrella's point is not that you don't need a sharp edge. It's that you don't need a steel that needs to be able to do a lot of cutting between sharpenings because it doesn't get extended use before you're back from the patrol/OP/etc., and the number of times you use it is too few. In that case, long term edge holding is unnecessary. The better trade off is to have the other things mentioned (water resistant, easy to sharpen, low maintenance, etc.).

That's true in my experience as well (Marines).
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’d be all for something like this in Magnacut.

The Benchmade SOCP is the only example I’ve had the opportunity to play around with. It’s a great little knife for the purpose.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:06 am

The Benchmade SOCP is the only example I’ve had the opportunity to play around with. It’s a great little knife for the purpose.
That is all that I was suggesting, >> MagnaCut, << and not H1.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

kennethsime wrote:

I would very much like to see spyderco make a counterpoint to the Benchmade SOCP. I'm currently looking at a SOCP myself and am always looking for more options. I have had fixed blades rust on me, so I think this could be a great idea.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Osok-308 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:08 pm
kennethsime wrote:

I would very much like to see spyderco make a counterpoint to the Benchmade SOCP. I'm currently looking at a SOCP myself and am always looking for more options. I have had fixed blades rust on me, so I think this could be a great idea.
If Spyderco makes one, I hope they skip the SOCP handle. I don't have one and the reason is, I don't know how anyone grabs onto the handle with bare hands, without tearing them up.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

I have a SOCP, if there was a Spyderco equivalent I would be interested.
Naperville, I don't know if it's tear my hands I've never considered it. Also, it may be intended for expected Close quarters with gloves.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:40 pm
Osok-308 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:08 pm
kennethsime wrote:

If Spyderco makes one, I hope they skip the SOCP handle. I don't have one and the reason is, I don't know how anyone grabs onto the handle with bare hands, without tearing them up.
Any time I'd deploying one, I'd probably be wearing gloves. I have grabbed one with bare hands, so I can see what you're saying.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Are there any youtubes showing how these are used?

I know little about knives as weapons, so when I saw the OP picture, I assumed it was the size of a gladius, maybe even an entrenching tool. And then I found out it's smaller than a Waterway, more like the size of a Mule Team. How are they better than a more typical fighting knife? Serious question.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:10 pm
Are there any youtubes showing how these are used?

I know little about knives as weapons, so when I saw the OP picture, I assumed it was the size of a gladius, maybe even an entrenching tool. And then I found out it's smaller than a Waterway, more like the size of a Mule Team. How are they better than a more typical fighting knife? Serious question.
Hey, yes check out the video below and you'll get the general idea (although know for sure that Spyderco could 100% make a far superior and more durable and better quality product all-around than the benchmade version shown in the video) clearance knives are now becoming more and more incorporated into army combatives training programs, so a high quality and well made and decent rust-proof variant would be highly sought after (source: I'm former army infantry)

https://youtu.be/mUAOE4CH-WA
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The idea of the original SOCP was a knife for weapon retention and a third-tier option for extreme close-quarter combat. If a soldier's rifle went down or was grabbed in a contact-distance fight, the next option would be his pistol. If that wasn't practical or possible, the knife would then come into play. The idea of the ring was to allow the knife to be carried deep behind the magazine pouches on a soldier's plate carrier so he could access it, but the enemy couldn't. This came about after soldiers carrying conventional, full-sized knives ran into the problem of enemy combatants trying to grab and draw the soldiers' knives during close-combat. It was also not uncommon for soldiers to be swarmed by villagers when passing through a friendly village, only to find their full-sized knife missing afterwards.

Again, the purpose of the ring is to allow deep carry of the knife. This same concept is also being applied by law enforcement officers carrying fixed blades as handgun-retention tools. It is not a karambit ring for spinning the knife, although some edged-weapon trainers have portrayed it as such.

Stay safe,

Mike
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Estrella and Mike, thanks for the thoughtful replies! Cool concept. Thankful for the folks employing these weapons.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This one is 154cm and built like a tank. Not quite what you're looking for, but while you wait two years for Spyderco to make one you may consider it :grin-big eyes
These guys are just down the road from me in San Diego. Their specialty is small chunky fixed blades which isn't really my thing as I carry slicey folders, but they make a quality product.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Those Toor knives look ok, however although 154CM is a certainly very corrosion resistant they are still not made of a 100% rust proof material.
Also IMO the knife needs to be more of a bi-laterally symmetrical double edged dagger type design, and of a solidly made yet still relatively slim profile so that it can still be readily concealed if required.

Can't decided though weather it would be better with a serrated or not serrated edge!?
Given the design parameters and intended use I imagine a double edged serrated version would certainly be very effective for the required tasks!
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Estrella wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:05 am
Those Toor knives look ok, however although 154CM is a certainly very corrosion resistant they are still not made of a 100% rust proof material.
Also IMO the knife needs to be more of a bi-laterally symmetrical double edged dagger type design, and of a solidly made yet still relatively slim profile so that it can still be readily concealed if required.

Can't decided though weather it would be better with a serrated or not serrated edge!?
Given the design parameters and intended use I imagine a double edged serrated version would certainly be very effective for the required tasks!
I would probably think a plain edge would be preferred if this is to be carried as a clearance knife. The idea being the defensive use should you have someone try to grab your other weapons. I'd much prefer the PE version. I'd carry an SE or combo edge folder for other tasks. Just my $0.02.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Estrella wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:05 am

I would probably think a plain edge would be preferred if this is to be carried as a clearance knife. The idea being the defensive use should you have someone try to grab your other weapons. I'd much prefer the PE version. I'd carry an SE or combo edge folder for other tasks. Just my $0.02.
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Not sure if the Enuff XL in H1 would work well for CQB as not my thing, but love the simplicity and toughness of H1 and anxiously awaiting this knife (I know, not in the Reveal). Picture is in 6th post of this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89891&hilit=Enuff+xl

Would love to see this Simonich Crowfoot in H-1 by Spyderco…
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

Christian Noble wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:43 pm
Not sure if the Enuff XL in H1 would work well for CQB as not my thing, but love the simplicity and toughness of H1 and anxiously awaiting this knife (I know, not in the Reveal). Picture is in 6th post of this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89891&hilit=Enuff+xl

Would love to see this Simonich Crowfoot in H-1 by Spyderco…
I think part of the appeal is to have a low profile blade with the ring for the finger to slip into. I could see the benefit to carrying an Enuff in H-1, but I'd prefer the ring style grip.