Blade HQ M4/Micarta Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Blade HQ M4/Micarta Shaman

Post by wrdwrght »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:12 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:55 pm
I have BHQ’s jade G10 M4 exclusive and really admire it

I can’t help but see this micarta M4 as a missed chance to offer the Shaman in a different steel. Why not something tough, like 3V or 52100, for a stout knife with a fantastic grind?

I shall have no FOMO.
Jeez what are you doing with your knives that you need something tougher than M4? M4 is used extensively in cutting competitions and holds up great to all sorts of abuse.
Ha! I love M4 (have it in five different models) and don’t disagree, but matching the stout Shaman with an even tougher and unusual steel seems to me a natural matchup. And 3V is such a rare bird. A thick piece of 52100 might even be the better matchup.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, there goes my K390/Green Canvas Micarta dream. Oh well, I guess Blade HQ can buy more of them than I can.

I’ll sign up for text alerts. I really, really like my Zcarta Shaman and this is also bound to be an excellent knife. I’ve also always wanted to try M4, and haven’t yet had the chance, so this is as good an opportunity as any.

I am fervently hoping they run the same M4/GCM for a Lil' Native Slipjoint. That knife would be killer.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Bored of M4 so soon?

Maybe BBS will do a K390 Shaman (and hopefully be reasonably priced)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I continue to be baffled that Spyderco does not make a production micarta/tool steel shaman. This exclusive will sell out in minutes just like the sprints.

I just don't understand the rationale behind not making and selling as many as possible. It's obvious the demand is there.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just remembered that's going to be $245...and then tax. Fantastic knife though, excellent combo. I'm pretty sure I'll be in on the rat race for this one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

kind of ambivalent on this one. I do enjoy the OEM shaman scales, so that's a plus. BHQ probably isn't going to do a DLC version either....but I already have the DLC M4/Jade version.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Yeeeesh, sales tax is gonna be a killer on this one, especially for international buyers with all the crazy exchange rates brought about by the war in Europe.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
anycal

Post by anycal »

Me EDCing Z-WEAR Shaman for the past month must have been some kind of a foreshadowing of this. Not a model I normally do that with, but for some reason it stuck. It started with camping trip, and it has been my primary blade since.

On one hand, I thought that one of these in my collection is enough; I wouldn't likely need/get another Shaman.

On the other hand, it is a great model that performs and carries well, even though it is a tank. The tool steel and color has me really interested. Haven't bought a new knife in a while. Nothing else on the horizon which has my interest. Hmm...

I think I'm going to snooze on it when it drops. If still available after the initial rush, I am in.
Peter
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:06 am
kind of ambivalent on this one. I do enjoy the OEM shaman scales, so that's a plus. BHQ probably isn't going to do a DLC version either....but I already have the DLC M4/Jade version.
What makes you say that? I’m curious because while I am interested in this knife, I couldn’t help but wonder if a DLC version is coming. Doesn’t Blade HQ typically do a satin and a DLC version of most of their Spyderco exclusives? Maybe that’s just the case with their jade G10 exclusives?
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
vivi

Post by vivi »

That combination of materials makes tempts me to give the Shaman another shot.
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:00 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
What makes you say that? I’m curious because while I am interested in this knife, I couldn’t help but wonder if a DLC version is coming. Doesn’t Blade HQ typically do a satin and a DLC version of most of their Spyderco exclusives? Maybe that’s just the case with their jade G10 exclusives?
Someone asked in their instagram

raphy0x0
Any in DLC?

bladehq
@raphy0x0 Just the satin
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:39 am
Nuh Nups wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

raphy0x0
Any in DLC?

bladehq
@raphy0x0 Just the satin
Good to know!
I was pretty sure the DLC version would be next. I’ve never had M4 steel that wasn’t DLC coated. Maybe I need to give it a try with this one. Thanks for the info 👍
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I should go hold a Shaman at the store and see if I like it. When I looked at it there, my first thought was it is huge and that knocked it off my list quick. I really like the look and materials on this one though so I should go actually hold one in hand before I totally ignore it....
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The prices on these exclusives makes me glad there are still VG10 FRN options for me…maybe my frugality has been exacerbated getting close to 50?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:45 pm
The prices on these exclusives makes me glad there are still VG10 FRN options for me…maybe my frugality has been exacerbated getting close to 50?
I REALLY wish I had this mentality. Instead, now that I've got a handful of CRK's...I see a knife under $300 and think of it as a bargain deal. That's very dangerous! :straight-face

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Nuh Nups wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

raphy0x0
Any in DLC?

bladehq
@raphy0x0 Just the satin

They could just mean that there aren't any currently. Doesn't mean there won't be one in the future.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:43 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Nuh Nups wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

raphy0x0
Any in DLC?

bladehq
@raphy0x0 Just the satin

They could just mean that there aren't any currently. Doesn't mean there won't be one in the future.
You’re right. That just means that there aren’t CURRENTLY any in DLC. Good catch. I guess one would have to ask; “Any plans to release one in DLC?”
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

Was in another thread a couple days ago talking about the Shaman being offered potentially in another type of steel. K390 & Magnacut being the two most requested. Now I've signed on today to see that BHQ is offering an exclusive in M4.

Although I'm not really a big fan of the natural Micarta scale, but I can't resist another Shaman exclusive or sprint run. I'M IN!!!
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SixShot666 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:07 pm
Although I'm not really a big fan of the natural Micarta scale, but I can't resist another Shaman exclusive or sprint run. I'M IN!!!
You're in luck, it's actually green micarta.

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

troutinCO wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm
I should go hold a Shaman at the store and see if I like it. When I looked at it there, my first thought was it is huge and that knocked it off my list quick. I really like the look and materials on this one though so I should go actually hold one in hand before I totally ignore it....
Depends on what you consider huge.

Funny, I had the same thought when the Shaman was first released. I thought it was big, and wasn't interested. Then I held one at SFO. My first impression was, although hefty, it feels 'normal' in hand. And knew then I would get one at some point.

Peter