Have you tried a serrated z-cut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Have you tried a serrated z-cut?

Post by vivi »

There's a lot of models people suggest for experiencing Spydercos serrated edges.

Pacific Salt, Endela and the Caribbean in SE all seem to have quite a following.

But there's one I suggest to everyone who has not tried one. One that will outcut any of the folders I listed.

The SE z-cut.

It is extremely thin. BD1N works well for SE, very quick and easy to touch up. It is one of Spydercos most affordable models. Being a kitchen knife most people will find more use for it than buying a 26th 3-3.5" folding knife.

Give one a shot. It will cut circles around most serrated folders for a fraction of the price.

I carry one every day at work and use one at home as well. Paired with a chef knife you'll have your bases covered outside major fileting and butchering tasks. Mine does everything from butterflying filets, slicing tomatos and bread, to breaking down cardboard. Handy little knives, I've got four!
Last edited by vivi on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Re: Have you tried a serrated z-cut?

Post by Mushroom »

Is the serration pattern slightly different than what’s done on their folders? From your photo, it almost looks like the large serration is longer on the Z-Cut than on their folders.
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have one and really disliked it until I recently swapped out my wood cutting boards for some big boards made of Richlin. They snagged on the wood. They don’t on the Richlin. I would not recommend for wood boards.

I haven’t really gotten in the habit of using it because I just realized it doesn’t snag on the new boards.
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:25 pm
Is the serration pattern slightly different than what’s done on their folders? From your photo, it almost looks like the large serration is longer on the Z-Cut than on their folders.
Mine is slightly longer serration period than my Stretch but just barely.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Mushroom wrote:
The large serrations on my zcut has same length as my Atlantic Salt and CE Delica but are shallower than both.
The pointed tips have the spyderedge while the blunt tips have uniform all medium sized scallops.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I bought my wife one last year and she loves it.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:18 pm

Give one a shot. It will cut circles around most serrated folders for a fraction of the price.

DLT Trading says mine is in the mail. Per your advice from earlier today.
fixall

Post by fixall »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:39 pm
I have one and really disliked it until I recently swapped out my wood cutting boards for some big boards made of Richlin. They snagged on the wood. They don’t on the Richlin. I would not recommend for wood boards.

I haven’t really gotten in the habit of using it because I just realized it doesn’t snag on the new boards.
Mushroom wrote:
Mine is slightly longer serration period than my Stretch but just barely.
I had that issue with my bread knife until I swapped to an end-cut cutting board. No more snags. :)

I'm curious about how the serrated Z-Cut would do as a small bread knife for baguettes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have two serrated edge Z-Cuts and am a big fan. I even cut roasts with them. They are great on vegetables, fruit, and etc. I would like a slightly shorter bladed version, but I can make one easily out of one of these so it is not an issue. I like the steel and I like the knife.

Here's one of my threads: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85586&p=1386580&hilit=ZCut#p1386580
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd definitely avoid using these on wooden cutting boards.
fixall wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:26 pm

I'm curious about how the serrated Z-Cut would do as a small bread knife for baguettes.
it works well.

:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ive got 2 PE and 2 SE, love them both.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

SE Z-cut = laser, even a lightsaber !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have two, one of each edge type. They're pretty slicy, I really like them as steak knives. Not something I could carry at work, we do very different jobs. Maybe I'll look into making a sheath for my wife, she might carry one at her work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I bought the blunt version for my parents, the serrations are only formed by large scallops and it is a dream.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I have a PE, a SE, and a blunt SE in the kitchen.
I go for these all the time over plenty of other great knives.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Too bad Spyderco discontinued the BEST (SpyderEdge Pointed, K14S) of their Z-Cut Series for 2022. Dunno why. :thinking >:[
Last edited by N. Brian Huegel on Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We have a PE and SE as well. My wife loves using the SE version. That BD1N steel touches up so nicely on both knives as well. I wish they were a bit more stout, quite a bit of flex if trying to cut more than you should...but that's on the user. Great knives for the price.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've got more than a few (only got the SE versions) and I like them quite a bit. That said, the flexibility does not inspire confidence for kitchen users who are used to rigid cutting tools.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes, I bought one awhile back, violating the standing rule of "no more kitchen knives". It makes a great steak knife, cuts bread very well, a little too much flex for hard cheeses, in my opinion. Certainly a worthy arrow in your quiver.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I was indeed surprised by the flexibility. I knew it was gonna be flexible with that thin of a bladestock, but it's like double what I expected !

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:18 pm
There's a lot of models people suggest for experiencing Spydercos serrated edges.

Pacific Salt, Endela and the Caribbean in SE all seem to have quite a following.

But there's one I suggest to everyone who has not tried one. One that will outcut any of the folders I listed.

The SE z-cut.

It is extremely thin. BD1N works well for SE, very quick and easy to touch up. It is one of Spydercos most affordable models. Being a kitchen knife most people will find more use for it than buying a 26th 3-3.5" folding knife.

I carry one every day at work and use one at home as well. Paired with a chef knife you'll have your bases covered outside major fileting and butchering tasks. Mine does everything from butterflying filets, slicing tomatos and bread, to breaking down cardboard. Handy little knives, I've got four!

This is literally my same setup at home for 99% of my stuff in the kitchen. I have two of the same 8" Chef's knives, and all 4 of the diffrerent Z-cut models, though I almost always reach for the serrated ones first. I have a custom set of 4 AEB-L knives from LT Wright that I use for some stuff, but I am too lazy to hand wash a lot of the time so I don't use them as often. I also have some more specialty knives like bread, boning, cleaver, carving, bird's beak, fillet, etc. that get pulled out when needed, but the Chef's knives and Z-cuts get used every day.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red