I wish the Dragonfly wire clip was more robust

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

I wish the Dragonfly wire clip was more robust

Post by twinboysdad »

Easily my most carried knife and I always end up bending them, smooshing them, or mangling them at some point. Ironically the SS Dragonfly I have had the most robust clip of any Spyderco I own. Anyone else wish the wire was a stronger material or just a spoon clip?
kobold

Re: I wish the Dragonfly wire clip was more robust

Post by kobold »

I lost one and bought a replacement, where I installed the clip from the Chap. It is bigger.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I never really had a problem with my Dragonfly clips, but I did have a fair amount of trouble with my Para 3 LW clip working loose. I replaced all my wire clips with Lynch NW clips, and haven’t looked back.

The Dragonfly’s clip is actually a knockoff I bought from a 3rd party vendor. I’d go direct from Lynch every time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've never liked wire clips, but I seem to be in the minority.

Jim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the wire clips on the Dfly, I've never personally had a problem with them, though obviously some have. I like that they are low key (doesn't scream knife clip, and there's less metal to catch the eye), deep carry, easy on the pocket, and easy to take out and put in the pocket. If you can make them stronger without changing that or raising the price significantly I'm not opposed.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Never really had an issue with them. I crashed a bike once while carrying a Caly 3 and bent the heck out of that clip but I was able to bend it back into shape. I carry an Autonomy everyday and while I do think the weight of that knife needs a sturdier clip, I've never had an issue with it slipping out of my pocket or anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’ve never had an issue with my DF2 Salt clip and carry it almost every day. I have Lynch clips and they work great for me but so far never have purchased one to replace a wire clip .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I know we're all different and carry and use our knives differently but I've yet to have an issue with any wire clips. I have a whole bunch of models with the wire clip because I prefer it over any other style including even the Lynch clips. I how people have problems with them bending and breaking and I can't figure out how they can possibly have so many problems. I've probably just been really lucky

So no, I have no need for the wire clip on the DF to be any more robust than it already is. I'm not even sure I'd want it to be any more robust.
thicker wire would also mean they'd have to rework the FRN molds to change the notches the clip rides in. So not as simple as simply changing the clip
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:49 pm
I replaced all my wire clips with Lynch NW clips, and haven’t looked back.

I’d go direct from Lynch every time.
I received my first Lynch replacement of a wire clip yesterday. I had ordered it for a specific knife (the Mantra 2), but immediately discovered it wouldn't fit that model. ',:-| I decided to put it instead on a Sliverax, whose wire clip I'd also like to replace. Didn't fit. :angry-face So I tried it on a Schempp Bowie, another model I feel would be better served with the standard-style clip. Same story. >:[

I finally tried doing the research I should have done to begin with, and learned that the Lynch replacement for Spyderco wire clips only fits knives with a particular arrangement of grooves and screws: the one where the mounting screw is in roughly the middle of the length of the grooves. If the screw is near the end, the clip won't fit. :/

I ended up putting the Lynch clip on my Manix, whose OEM clip looks like it was purposely engineered to cause the knife to ride high in the pocket. The Lynch clip is a nice remedy, if you prefer a lower-riding knife. In fact, it's perfect, IMO:

The result with the Manix is so good, it makes me really wish Lynch would design a similar clip for Spyderco's wire-clipped folders of the type with the mounting screw at the end of the grooves, which I have to think is a lot of them... :thinking
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I just realized that kennethsime had already posted a Manix with a Lynch clip. LOL!
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I wish it was deep carry. I have almost no use for lanyards. Love the dragonfly though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:33 pm
I just realized that kennethsime had already posted a Manix with a Lynch clip. LOL!
Hey, nothing wrong with more lynch clips!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:31 pm
kennethsime wrote:

I ended up putting the Lynch clip on my Manix, whose OEM clip looks like it was purposely engineered to cause the knife to ride high in the pocket. The Lynch clip is a nice remedy, if you prefer a lower-riding knife. In fact, it's perfect, IMO:

I have extensive experience with wire clips on the Manix 2 LW, and I actually think this clip is perfect as it is (but how-to-carry-a-knife is extremely personal preference of course).

- Knife sits almost as deep in pocket as it can with a NON loop over clip mounted in the position where the screw sits
- Generally a good in-between deep- and shallow carry (not too deep, not too high, knife feels rather small / short in pocket due to that and does not take up too much space; one could retrieve the knife without having to stick fingers in the pocket (let´s say they are oily) and if one actually reaches into the pocket (as I almost always do) the hand is already in a perfect position for opening the knife)
- Clip holds up perfectly well in my use

/ ... Don´t know about the DFly clip though - OP. is its wire actually thinner than on the Manix 2 LW clip?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think the dragonflys clip is actually the most robust of the various wire clips spyderco uses. Probably because its just smaller .
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

no probs with my dfly wire clip, but it is a Salt Dfly and so maybe different material than regular?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 am
Coastal wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

I have extensive experience with wire clips on the Manix 2 LW, and I actually think this clip is perfect as it is (but how-to-carry-a-knife is extremely personal preference of course).

- Knife sits almost as deep in pocket as it can with a NON loop over clip mounted in the position where the screw sits
- Generally a good in-between deep- and shallow carry (not too deep, not too high, knife feels rather small / short in pocket due to that and does not take up too much space; one could retrieve the knife without having to stick fingers in the pocket (let´s say they are oily) and if one actually reaches into the pocket (as I almost always do) the hand is already in a perfect position for opening the knife)
- Clip holds up perfectly well in my use

/ ... Don´t know about the DFly clip though - OP. is its wire actually thinner than on the Manix 2 LW clip?
Hey Wartstein, I doubt the DFly wire is any thinner, and I have a feeling the Mannix-type clip is more robust due to its lack of a loop. It has fewer places for bends to "add up," if that makes sense. I could be completely wrong, and it would be very easy to test, but I'm not curious enough since I like both styles okay. Personally, I've never had any wire clip fail or even be permanently deformed. (I have had conventional clips permanently deform or rip free of the knife.)

I plan to try my Manix (which is nearly new) all three ways: OEM Manix clip, typical Spyderco wire loop clip, and Lynch wire-clip replacement. Your comments above make perfect sense to me, and I just need to try it myself. The only reason the Lynch clip ended up on the Manix is that I was looking around for knives it would fit on, after it wouldn't fit on the ones I bought it for.

The main reason I like the Lynch replacement for wire clips is that I would prefer its aesthetics on knives with CF or Ti handles. Ironically, I think the OEM Manix clip is aesthetically very nice. It fits the character of the knife. We'll see whether the Lynch stays or not.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The DF2 clip is very strong. I considered bending mine out a bit. Rides perfectly clipped to rear pocket.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:49 am
Coastal wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Hey Wartstein, I doubt the DFly wire is any thinner, and I have a feeling the Mannix-type clip is more robust due to its lack of a loop. It has fewer places for bends to "add up," if that makes sense. I could be completely wrong, and it would be very easy to test, but I'm not curious enough since I like both styles okay. Personally, I've never had any wire clip fail or even be permanently deformed. (I have had conventional clips permanently deform or rip free of the knife.)

I plan to try my Manix (which is nearly new) all three ways: OEM Manix clip, typical Spyderco wire loop clip, and Lynch wire-clip replacement. Your comments above make perfect sense to me, and I just need to try it myself. The only reason the Lynch clip ended up on the Manix is that I was looking around for knives it would fit on, after it wouldn't fit on the ones I bought it for.

The main reason I like the Lynch replacement for wire clips is that I would prefer its aesthetics on knives with CF or Ti handles. Ironically, I think the OEM Manix clip is aesthetically very nice. It fits the character of the knife. We'll see whether the Lynch stays or not.

Thanks for the reply!

I think your Lynch clip does actually look nice on the Manix LW! If I was into deep carry, I´d probably stick with it - I personally am just not.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)