Funky oddball bikes!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bjz

Funky oddball bikes!

Post by bjz »

I know a lot of all y’all out there ride!

While I’m primarily a mtn biker these days I spent ~10 years as a daily, year-round bike commuter in Portland Oregon, so there is a small spot in my heart for oddball bicycles!

I’ve been recovering from acl surgery and not quite able to start riding on trails yet, but needed a bike to zoom around town on and for short PT rides. This frame has been a good friend since 2008, and seen life in a number of different configurations. This is the most recent (just finished this morning), set up with tubeless gravel tires and some old slx brakes that I rebuilt and converted to have free-stroke adjustment.

Let’s see your fun oddball weirdo bikes!

…or am I the only one 🤦🏼
LakeOconee

Re: Funky oddball bikes!

Post by LakeOconee »

Here's my "bike-and-a-half"..
Fender-01.JPG
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know if this qualifies as weird but this is what I ride these days.

I was heavily into BMX when I was younger and I've got some old freestyle bikes but they're just not very comfortable for cruising with the family. We generally do a 20 mile round trip when we go riding.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im about to buy two frames this month and build them up so Ill come back to this thread later.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

This is Astro, my beach bike.

bjz

Post by bjz »

I’m liking it so far!!
bjz

Post by bjz »

…folks posts! Not my bike, I liked that bike before building it up!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My Surly Ice Cream Truck Ebike with a full Luna build kit and version 1 ludicrous controller.
20220313_181946.jpg
And a Fairdale Ridgemont thats smaller than I need. I just bought it as a beater bike, I plan on building up two frames this year that will be my do everything fun bikes.
20220316_140055.jpg
I also bought a drop bar kinda touring/bikepacking bike on craigslist a while back that I want to turn into a commuter but Im not sure how much I will actually ride it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageMy Dad’s funky 1949 :) MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’m still liking this! That surly ebike is cool! I have an early karate monkey that I’d like to convert, but keep hearing that the conversion works best with a geared drivetrain, which can be a pain with the old horizontal dropouts.

I might, in time, give it a 3-speed or 7-speed if hub but for now it’s been my wacky indoor recovery bike!

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bjz wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:04 am
I’m still liking this! That surly ebike is cool! I have an early karate monkey that I’d like to convert, but keep hearing that the conversion works best with a geared drivetrain, which can be a pain with the old horizontal dropouts.
Whats the issue?
bjz

Post by bjz »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:52 am
bjz wrote:
Whats the issue?
The dropouts are a pain with a derailleur because the way the hanger is positioned, you have to take the derailleur on/off every time you want to take the wheel off (tires, brake pads/rotors, drivetrain etc). Might have been the particular derailleur (a zee long arm 10-speed…decidedly NOT what the karate monkey would have been expected to get!)

As for the single speed ebike thing, I suspect it’s more of a commuter thing where you are starting/stopping a lot for lights, traffic, stop signs etc. Also, I live in a place with steep hills in town where you are pretty much going up or down and having some mechanical advantage is easier on everything when you add a motor.

At this point, I would need to get a job working at the bottom of the hills from my house to justify the expense of the ebike conversion. That way I could swing home a few times a day to let the old dog out to go potty and get home sooner to spend time with him.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bjz wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:52 am
bjz wrote:
Whats the issue?
The dropouts are a pain with a derailleur because the way the hanger is positioned, you have to take the derailleur on/off every time you want to take the wheel off (tires, brake pads/rotors, drivetrain etc). Might have been the particular derailleur (a zee long arm 10-speed…decidedly NOT what the karate monkey would have been expected to get!)

As for the single speed ebike thing, I suspect it’s more of a commuter thing where you are starting/stopping a lot for lights, traffic, stop signs etc. Also, I live in a place with steep hills in town where you are pretty much going up or down and having some mechanical advantage is easier on everything when you add a motor.

At this point, I would need to get a job working at the bottom of the hills from my house to justify the expense of the ebike conversion. That way I could swing home a few times a day to let the old dog out to go potty and get home sooner to spend time with him.
Huh.
Maybe its that derailleur, or maybe that frame does have it in a weird position.

Mine also has horizontal dropouts but I can take the wheel out once the chain is off without removing the derailleur.

If youre going to do a conversion it would probably just be easier to research which frames people have had luck with and look for a used bike.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I was into BMX as a kid too, so I now a 29” BMX so I can still do wheelies. :winking-tongue

Also have a 26” cruiser to pull the kid trailer and to hold my beer!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wouldn't call it oddball exactly but I had this bike commissioned in 1997, years before "Gravel" bikes became a thing. It was my commuter, do-it-all, bike. Found a crack in it and sent it back to the maker after more than 20 years for repair. Talk about a warranty!

In the meantime, I was volunteering at a non-profit bike shop and got this frame at cost and built it up. Some idea, go anywhere, do anything, daily commuter.

Liked it so much I also got this single speed version:

Finally got the Lyon back repaired recently but the Macho Man is such a sweet ride. Thinking of rebuilding the Lyon as a 1x11, the challenge is finding a set of Tubeless rim brake wheels I can afford.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So far only two I would consider in any manner "funky" or "oddball". Seems to have morphed into a bike flex thread. :')
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bjz

Post by bjz »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:59 am
So far only two I would consider in any manner "funky" or "oddball". Seems to have morphed into a bike flex thread. :')
So, which are the oddball/funky ones?!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bjz wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:13 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:59 am
I guess my Dad’s Whizzer was unfunky . I’m sad . Dan
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bjz

Post by bjz »

^i want to see a video of that thing in action!!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bjz wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:13 pm

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin