Show your Jeeps.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RevMike

Show your Jeeps.

Post by RevMike »

I'd bet a fair number of members are Jeep drivers so I'd like to see what you got.

All Jeeps are welcome. I know a couple Jeep groups where folks look down on anything that doesn't say Rubicon or sit on 40" tires. That's not what I'm after here. Whether you have the Bug of Jeeps or the Darn Dao of Jeeps I'd like to see it here.

Bonus points if it's out in the wild Jeep places of the world but the parking lot of the local market works, too. Photos and any details welcome.

I'll start with my daily driver. This is a 06 WK Grand Cherokee with the QD2 full time 4wd and the 5.7L Hemi... eminently capable but a major drag at today's fuel prices.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Show your Jeeps.

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RevMike wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:52 am
I'd bet a fair number of members are Jeep drivers so I'd like to see what you got.

All Jeeps are welcome. I know a couple Jeep groups where folks look down on anything that doesn't say Rubicon or sit on 40" tires. That's not what I'm after here. Whether you have the Bug of Jeeps or the Darn Dao of Jeeps I'd like to see it here.

Bonus points if it's out in the wild Jeep places of the world but the parking lot of the local market works, too. Photos and any details welcome.

I'll start with my daily driver. This is a 06 WK Grand Cherokee with the QD2 full time 4wd and the 5.7L Hemi... eminently capable but a major drag at today's fuel prices.

Let me check Mike . I had a CJ7 years ago set up mainly for off road . Drive a 2021 4x4 Taco now .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:07 am
Let me check Mike . I had a CJ7 years ago set up mainly for off road . Drive a 2021 4x4 Taco now .
Previously owned works for me. The Taco is certainly respectable. I sold my truck last year and I'm all Jeeps ever since but I miss having a truck and certainly think I'd go with a Taco this time. I've owned 3 Toyotas before and I've never been happier with the reliability of anything. I also spent some time in my past as a technician for both Toyota and Jeep.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image1977 CJ 7 , had big six, 4 speed manual , 4:10 Gears . Complete Warn 8,000 lb. Winch and brush guard setup. KC fog and off road lights , Jackman double welded wheels with Gumbo Mudders ( may have Armstrong on in picture ) , extra shielding underneath . Definitely not highway or luxury friendly but a lot of fun off roading . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice thread! I've always loved Jeeps. My 03 TJ was my favorite vehicle ever. Got rid of it almost a decade ago and I have missed it every day since! My profile picture is actually a shot of the Maine coast taken from the Jeep on my crappy cell phone camera at the time.. probably circa 2010(ish). I love that you can see my beach chair in the rear view mirror haha.. I wish the quality was better, but I love that picture! I couldn't recreate that in a million years haha..

I don't have any other pictures of it on my current phone (pre-cloud haha), I'll have to see if I can dig up some more from my old computer..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:31 am
Image1977 CJ 7 , had big six, 4 speed manual , 4:10 Gears . Complete Warn 8,000 lb. Winch and brush guard setup. KC fog and off road lights , Jackman double welded wheels with Gumbo Mudders ( may have Armstrong on in picture ) , extra shielding underneath . Definitely not highway or luxury friendly but a lot of fun off roading . Dan
Awesome. I'll bet you have some great memories with that.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

These days, I drive a baby-Jeep haha.

Doing some exploring in the woods last fall, following some dirt roads to a trail along a river. Drove til I couldn't any more haha.. She's certainly not made for any sort of heavy duty off-roading.. but is maybe a bit more capable than I expected.. decent in the snow in winter, too. Not a bad little vehicle, but definitely not fun like the Wrangler.
Rick H.

RevMike

Post by RevMike »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am

Doing some exploring in the woods last fall, following some dirt roads to a trail along a river. Drove til I couldn't any more haha.. She's certainly not made for any sort of heavy duty off-roading.. but is maybe a bit more capable than I expected.. decent in the snow in winter, too. Not a bad little vehicle, but definitely not fun like the Wrangler.
I often toy with the idea of trading the Hemi Grand for a Renegade as a daily driver. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how capable some of the new FCA Jeeps are and the fuel economy is on a whole different planet.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:34 am
Nice thread! I've always loved Jeeps. My 03 TJ was my favorite vehicle ever. Got rid of it almost a decade ago and I have missed it every day since! My profile picture is actually a shot of the Maine coast taken from the Jeep on my crappy cell phone camera at the time.. probably circa 2010(ish). I love that you can see my beach chair in the rear view mirror haha.. I wish the quality was better, but I love that picture! I couldn't recreate that in a million years haha..

I don't have any other pictures of it on my current phone (pre-cloud haha), I'll have to see if I can dig up some more from my old computer..
Maine is a great state for Jeep driving especially inland on the logging roads. I buried one in the winter up to the windows in snow. Took me 3 hours to get it out. That was in New Hampshire but only a few miles out of Maine and up there where there is nothing those states are pretty interchangeable.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Never had a Jeep, but always wanted one. I did have a Subaru WRX Wagon that I took on some Jeep trails in Maine until my wife started to get very concerned that I was doing something stupid. I wasn't, but I was close to the edge of stupid.

Where I live now is like a showcase for Jeeps. So many setup for off-road and overlanding, but with no scratches or dirt on them. My cruddy old high-mileage Sport Trac sits at the traffic lights just as well as they do! :') Jeeps (and Subarus) need dirt and scratches on them!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

RevMike wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:59 am
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am

I often toy with the idea of trading the Hemi Grand for a Renegade as a daily driver. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how capable some of the new FCA Jeeps are and the fuel economy is on a whole different planet.
30.8 combined mpg according to the little cockpit computer haha! Problem is, it's only a 12.9 gallon tank, so you still feel like you're filling the d@mn thing up all the time haha! :zany
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

RevMike wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 am
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:34 am

Maine is a great state for Jeep driving especially inland on the logging roads. I buried one in the winter up to the windows in snow. Took me 3 hours to get it out. That was in New Hampshire but only a few miles out of Maine and up there where there is nothing those states are pretty interchangeable.
Those old Maine logging roads are a lot of fun. When I was about 14, a buddy invited me up to visit his grandparents lakehouse with his family.. about 25 miles north of Caribou. His parents let us drive their Land Rover around on the logging roads* for hours one day.. pretty sure it was a sunday because we drove for miles and miles and miles and didn't see a single logger.. whole bunch of moose though haha..

I've haven't been up that far north since, but have been to the White Mtns a bunch and go to the beach in Southern ME for vacation every summer. Maine/NH in general are such great places to explore!

*can't be illegal if there are no cops around to catch you, right?! :winking-tongue
Rick H.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve driven a JK Wrangler Unlimited for many years but it’s stock and nothing to show off. I grew up with a family house on Cape Cod and when I first got my Jeep I would take the top and doors off and drive down onto the beaches but it was just for some casual fun, never got into it too seriously.

A few years ago though I came across a tempting deal for a nice looking TJ that would've been perfect for the beaches down the Cape. I test drove it and I ended up buying it. Owned it for about 3 days! :grin-squint

I think my excitement got the best of me and I wasn’t really paying attention to how horrible it actually drove on the test drive. After driving from the Cape to Boston I knew I wasn’t keeping it. Any speed over 55 mph didn’t feel safe, the death wobble was real! It ended up needing a lot of work that I wasn’t made aware of and wasn’t willing to do. Fortunately the guy I bought it from was understanding and we came to an agreement to just reverse the deal. He gave me my money back and I gave him his jeep back.

I thought it was a great looking Jeep and would’ve loved to own it but it just didn’t work out. Still have my JK though and I’m planning to drive that thing into the ground.
- Nick :bug-red
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:39 pm
I’ve driven a JK Wrangler Unlimited for many years but it’s stock and nothing to show off. I grew up with a family house on Cape Cod and when I first got my Jeep I would take the top and doors off and drive down onto the beaches but it was just for some casual fun, never got into it too seriously.

A few years ago though I came across a tempting deal for a nice looking TJ that would've been perfect for the beaches down the Cape. I test drove it and I ended up buying it. Owned it for about 3 days! :grin-squint

I think my excitement got the best of me and I wasn’t really paying attention to how horrible it actually drove on the test drive. After driving from the Cape to Boston I knew I wasn’t keeping it. Any speed over 55 mph didn’t feel safe, the death wobble was real! It ended up needing a lot of work that I wasn’t made aware of and wasn’t willing to do. Fortunately the guy I bought it from was understanding and we came to an agreement to just reverse the deal. He gave me my money back and I gave him his jeep back.

I thought it was a great looking Jeep and would’ve loved to own it but it just didn’t work out. Still have my JK though and I’m planning to drive that thing into the ground.
That must have been the off season. I can't think of too many trips to the Cape where traffic got moving that fast. I'm sure the JKU will treat you well.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Here is my 21 Rubicon Diesel in its natural element, waiting in the garage for me to get off work. It’s a fantastic daily driver on and off road.
B0C57F63-86F9-4378-938F-00C94A4E98DA.jpeg
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

DrHE wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:27 pm
Here is my 21 Rubicon Diesel in its natural element, waiting in the garage for me to get off work. It’s a fantastic daily driver on and off road.

Nice one. I think about those often and if I can manage to buy less knives I might just get one someday.

I haven't had a Wrangler since the YJ but the last Jeep I sold was a diesel. I had a 2005 KJ Liberty with the 2.8 VM Moturi Engine. It needed substantial work. Between the cost, my lack of available time, and no space to keep so many vehicles I had to let that one go. It's a shame that one was pretty unique and fun to drive.

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Here is mine, 2007 Jeep Liberty.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 am

Here is mine, 2007 Jeep Liberty.
I wish I had more time with my KJ Liberty. These were really something with the diesel. I do still have a KK Liberty.

DrHE

Post by DrHE »

RevMike wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:58 am
DrHE wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:27 pm

Nice one. I think about those often and if I can manage to buy less knives I might just get one someday.

I haven't had a Wrangler since the YJ but the last Jeep I sold was a diesel. I had a 2005 KJ Liberty with the 2.8 VM Moturi Engine. It needed substantial work. Between the cost, my lack of available time, and no space to keep so many vehicles I had to let that one go. It's a shame that one was pretty unique and fun to drive.

Yeah I do love the diesel in the Wranglers. Honestly that’s the hardest thing for me would be having time to work on a vehicle. Time is the hard commodity to come by!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have always loved Jeeps. My first vehicle was a Jeep Cherokee. Rode the heck out of that thing. I own Tacos now. Need to start a Taco thread for us wannabee's.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005