What is going on with the Waterway production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

What is going on with the Waterway production?

Post by fixall »

It's been nearly a year since I saw the Spyderco Waterway in stock on a regular basis. What in the world is going on? Has LC200N become hard to source? I know that production had been behind at the Golden Factory, but it seems like they've been catching up... And I've even seen a few exclusives come out of Golden recently. Wouldn’t a regular production piece that has been out of stock this long take precedence?

Spyderco has had a knife of mine at the warranty repair department for over four weeks now. I finally called again to figure out what the hold up was, and I was told it was because the Waterway is on backorder and they have no expected date on when it will be back in stock. :(
Last edited by fixall on Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
wrdwrght

Re: What is going on with the Waterway production?

Post by wrdwrght »

Lots and lots of catalog models need producing to get back on shelves. The Waterway is just one of how many catalog models?

But your question is totally understandable to me. I love mine.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:25 am

This.
Love mine too!
Hope people will get the chance again soon to get THEIRS! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Soontm
fixall

Post by fixall »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:25 am
Lots and lots of catalog models need producing to get back on shelves. The Waterway is just one of how many catalog models?

I made it 100 pages through the catalog and was only able to find five knives where no variations were available… And most were pretty niche knives like the Salt UKPK. :(
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Waterway is very appealing to me , I think it is worth the wait to check one out . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Several months ago, after waiting for several months for them to be restocked, I somewhat overpaid for a Waterway on the secondary market. Several plus several is a long time, but it's one of my all-time best knife purchases! It's my favorite fixed blade ever, and possibly my favorite Spyderco knife.

Get one whenever you can!
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I'd kill for a Waterway in Magnacut :(
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I wouldn't mind if the Waterway was the new mule team model.
fixall

Post by fixall »

With its extreme corrosion resistance and better edge retention, think MagnaCut would be a very logical choice for the Waterway. I don’t know how pricing is for lc200n in bulk…. But on a smaller scale (sheets and bars), lc200n costs me nearly 2.5 times as much as MagnaCut. Lc200n can sometimes be hard to source too. The same thing can be said about MagnaCut of course, but with how popular it’s been, I’m hopeful it’ll become more readily available soon (I’m down to my last 4ft!).

I’d really just like to know if the Waterway is coming up soon in the production queue (assuming an 18 month queue). I feel like it’s been at least a year since they were produced, but with how quickly they sell, I’m wondering if I missed a somewhat recent run of them.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

fixall wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:34 pm
I’d really just like to know if the Waterway is coming up soon in the production queue (assuming an 18 month queue). I feel like it’s been at least a year since they were produced, but with how quickly they sell, I’m wondering if I missed a somewhat recent run of them.
I don't think so. I waited most of last year, checking almost every day, finally found a used one, and have never seen it mentioned on the forum during that entire time. I think someone would post a notice if it came available.
Tvrdy91

Post by Tvrdy91 »

Did it come into stock during 2022? Should we reasonably expect this to be available at some point in 2023?
Stok drop point, dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe.

Suburban dad, lbk enjoyer, wire clip enthusiast

No pasaran!
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I had to buy one from secondary market. Totally worth it!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I am patiently waiting to try one out.

I think it’s essentially perfect as is, but it would be really cool if we got some variations that are common in Golden made knives too.

Aside from MagnaCut and serrations, I think S90V/Carbon Fiber and REX45/Burnt Orange G10 would be the top picks.

The Siren already got the former treatment.

If not REX45, though this is what I really want, something else that’s pretty hard like 15V, 10V, or another REX series steel.

I’ve become really interested in high hardness fixed blades, so that’s what I’m looking for right now, but I think I’ve seen requests for a Waterway in many of these steels from other members too.

I love my Siren, but what I’ve really gathered from using it is that the Waterway would probably be one of my favorite knives ever. Lance did a really good job with the designs.

I’m very hopeful because it seems like the Waterway is pretty popular and still in demand.

I wish that retailers would consider doing fixed blade exclusives too. Maybe, when the Waterway comes back, Knifecenter could do one in REX45 and Rose Dymondwood. Rivers Edge Cutlery’s “Scorpion” CPM10V and FDE PVD/OD green G10 CTS-204P would be my other top picks.

I guess I should try asking them if that’s possible.

In my opinion, the Waterway is the perfect platform for variations like this because the design is so versatile and I think it’s overall appeal is too.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
fixall

Post by fixall »

The Waterway just became available through several dealers out of the blue! After nearly a two and a half year wait, I just put my order in through DLT Trading!

It looks like they are in stock at DLT Trading, KnivesShipFree, The Knife Connection, and KnifeCenter. I’m sure there are others too.

Here’s to the last hurrah for the lc200n Waterway!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I ordered one recently after they were discontinued, and I've been using it a bit over the last week. I like it!

It is a good biltong cutter!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi