LWD Tactical Armorer's Tool Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cody6268

LWD Tactical Armorer's Tool Endura

Post by cody6268 »

I've been looking at getting an Endura for quite some time, and I've noticed the LWD Tactical Armorer's Tool is around $20 cheaper than the base Endura ($30 if you compare it to the base Emerson model). Plus, it's an Emerson opener. However, I really don't need the pin punch, and I'm concerned about the punch making it uncomfortable to use.

Should I go for this version, or pony up for the regular Endura/Endura Emerson?
RevMike

Re: LWD Tactical Armorer's Tool Endura

Post by RevMike »

I have the non wave version of this and I don't really notice the punch at all. That said everyone has different sized hands so it might end up bothering others.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Is the backspacer still FRN?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cody6268 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:48 am

Should I go for this version, or pony up for the regular Endura/Endura Emerson?

I don´t know about the pin punch (but would not mind it myself - could occasionally come in handy even for non weapon related lttle tasks).

I´d rather consider what you want from thee blade:

Can´t see it on your pic, but:

- If this is "just" sabre grind I´d certainly go with an ffg Endura!
- If it s sabre hollow: Different story! Have that on my old version SS Endura, and it cuts a lot better than "just" sabre while still having a rather strong tip.

Two more minor factors I´d consider:

1.) The "Wave" feature can get in the way should you want to "stab" the blade deeper into material - this can even occur in processing cardboard, where you cannot make use of thee whole cutting edge as easy as without the "Wave"
2.) I personally like taller blades, and the "Wave" feature actually makes the (usable) blade less tall
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Seems like a good deal. Waved Enduras are badass IMO.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Right now I just use the Glock pin tool, but if I carried every day it might be handy.

Personally, I'd prefer a pin that would fit on my key ring.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I don't even notice the Glock tool on mine when it's folded in. I use it just like my other Enduras and forget that pin punch is even there until I need it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for another Endura.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:55 pm
I don't even notice the Glock tool on mine when it's folded in. I use it just like my other Enduras and forget that pin punch is even there until I need it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for another Endura.

If one does not need the tool for Glock-maintenance:

Do you think it could be sharpened and then get used like an awl or the like?! Would be a nice addition to the Endura and in some tasks safe the tip the of the knife blade and/or even work better than that tip...
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:21 am
I one does not need the tool for Glock-maintenance:
I usually use my glock tool to align the washers and tang into the scale liners during reassembly on my seki lockbacks, makes it impossible for the washers to slip out of alignment and allows putting in the pivot barrel instantly. Though I know a lot of forum folks could probably dissemble and reassemble these lock backs blind folded.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Wartstein wrote:
Frozenspyder wrote:

Do you think it could be sharpened and then get used like an awl or the like?! Would be a nice addition to the Endura and in some tasks safe the tip the of the knife blade and/or even work better than that tip...
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a while and just saw this. I'd think it could be sharpened pretty easily. That's actually not a bad idea either. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that as standard on a Spyderco. Maybe on a Pac Salt. Almost like a light duty version of the marlin spike on the Tusk.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It could also be made into a mini screwdriver. Pin punch, awl, or driver - it’s nice to have options.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Frozenspyder wrote:

Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a while and just saw this. I'd think it could be sharpened pretty easily. That's actually not a bad idea either. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that as standard on a Spyderco. Maybe on a Pac Salt. Almost like a light duty version of the marlin spike on the Tusk.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I think for the situation here in Europe, where it is what it is and pretty much no one carries or even owns a gun, modding the Glock tool could be a good option indeed.

And a good awl (or, as Bill proposed, screwdriver or whatever) is nice to have and certainly would make the knife a bit "multitool-ish".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It could definitely be sharpened, but be careful with how you use it. I wouldn't exactly call it flimsy but it doesn't have a lock and won't be much use as a pry tool or anything like that. I could see it working as a sharpened hole punch, if that's something you'd get more use out of?

Forgive these bad quality pics, I didn't take these with the intention of posting them, they were just a reference I used when I took this knife apart (had to retrieve them from my phone's trash to even post them).

There's a small wire spring you can see underneath the FRN "mount" that the pin is embedded in. The shape of that mount acts as a cam and has half stops like you'd feel on a UKPK back spring.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Reject

Post by Reject »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:58 pm
Frozenspyder wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:26 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Frozenspyder wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I think for the situation here in Europe, where it is what it is and pretty much no one carries or even owns a gun, modding the Glock tool could be a good option indeed.

And a good awl (or, as Bill proposed, screwdriver or whatever) is nice to have and certainly would make the knife a bit "multitool-ish".

:grimace It just may be that you just don’t hang around with the right group of people.

Shooting sports are strong in Europe.

I have a Spyderco Armorer’s tool Endura; but never had to use it on the shooting range. Most Glocks are just too reliable to need it.
I say most; :confounded because I was range officering a club match when a shooting managed to blow one up.
:pleading I am sure the problem was more to do with the home reloads more than the Glock.

How much can a Koala bear?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:56 am
It could definitely be sharpened, but be careful with how you use it. I wouldn't exactly call it flimsy but it doesn't have a lock and won't be much use as a pry tool or anything like that. I could see it working as a sharpened hole punch, if that's something you'd get more use out of?

Thanks, David, for the info and the pics!

I see that the usefulness if that "pin" would be pretty limited, outside of its intended use as a Glock tool.
More like "make at least something useful out of it, if you don´t own a gun" - and an awl-ish feature / hole punch would at least be not a disadvantage to have,

The blade shape of that particular Endura is pretty much exactly NOT what I prefer (low sabre grind, narrower blade, wave feature) - but if it came in ffg or sabre hollow without the wave, I´d actually try to get one and see what can be done (or not) with the Glock tool.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:45 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:56 am

Thanks, David, for the info and the pics!

I see that the usefulness if that "pin" would be pretty limited, outside of its intended use as a Glock tool.
More like "make at least something useful out of it, if you don´t own a gun" - and an awl-ish feature / hole punch would at least be not a disadvantage to have,

The blade shape of that particular Endura is pretty much exactly NOT what I prefer (low sabre grind, narrower blade, wave feature) - but if it came in ffg or sabre hollow without the wave, I´d actually try to get one and see what can be done (or not) with the Glock tool.

These knives are a kind of guilty pleasure for me. They're basically the opposite of what I look for in performance, but I really like them aesthetically. I like hollow/saber grinds for their looks but not as much for their performance. I like how thick the blade and tip are, it's just not a knife that I'd carry for every situation. I sometimes have to remind myself that it's ok to like something just because you like it and not because it's the highest performance option.

On a similar topic, I think there's a market for an EDC knife that has a fold out pry bar/bottle opener on the end, maybe similar to how the Tusk had the Marlin spike, but maybe more low profile and hidden away when not in use. I see how many people carry little titanium pry bars and what those must cost, and I think if you combined that with the right folder it would be a winning combo. My multi tool has a bit that's extra thick for prying and I use it a lot at work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David