The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Post by fixall »

Seriously!

Because it's a Delica, it has some of the best ergonomics available. The standard FRN scales are phenomenal too! They offer such a secure grip, while being very lightweight and durable... But even if the handle shape doesn't quite fit you, there are over a half dozen aftermarket scales that change the shape, while keeping the awesome blade. Want a Delica that has the handle of a Paramilitary? No problem. Want a Delica with a choil? They're available. Contoured scales? Easy. You can also get scales made in any material you can dream up. Carbon Fiber, G10, exotic woods, Micarta, TeroTuf, titanium, SureTouch, you name it! I also love how the handle sticks out of the pocket enough to easily retrieve it (even with gloves), while still being non-discrete enough not to draw attention, or snag it on everything.

The blade shape is absolutely ideal (for the type of work I do). Have a really tight zip tie? No worries, the wonderful tip will fit under the tightest of zip ties. Clamshell package? The straight edge allows you to easily run the knife around the edge without slipping off. Have to make a really long cut from shoulder height to ankles? The straight blade allows you to make the cut without twisting your wrist at a weird angle. Even the hump of the blade is extremely useful. It allows you to place your index finger over the length of the blade, controlling the depth of the tip... I find this VERY useful for opening boxes that have delicate materials near the top. Those boxes that say "Do not open with knife"... Yea, you can ignore that warning with the Delica Wharncliffe. With the Spydie Hole and backlock, the knife is also super easy to operate while wearing gloves.

Sharpening the knife is a breeze. As long as you can produce and remove a burr, even a novice can freehand sharpen the wharncliffe with little to no trouble.

The price is very reasonable... At ~$90 - $120, it's hard to just buy one!

And the options!! VG-10, S30V, HAP40, K390, 20CV, H1... Black, navy blue, yellow, safety orange, teal, burnt orange, dark blue... Aghhh! It's such a great knife!

I used to have a the VG-10,S30V, and H1 versions too, but I had to let them go when my collection started to get silly, lol.

HAP40 with stock scales... Because it's already perfection. :)

HAP40 with contoured, orange TeroTuf scales.

20CV with navy TeroTuf scales, bronze titanim hardware, brass backspacer (aged to match hardware)

Damasteel with titanium scales, blue titanium hardware, blue titanium backspacer, titanium REK clip.

K390 with stock scales and titanium backspacer.
Last edited by fixall on Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleguy

Re: The Delica Wharncliffe is the greatest work knife ever made.

Post by cycleguy »

Yep!
So many knives - so little funds!!!
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

Well done post, OP!

Your enthusiasm is apparently contagious: now I have to get one ASAP :)
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well said on all points and much agreed! I was a staunch supporter when it first came out and I’m glad to see it get as many different variations as it has.

Your custom Titanium Damasteel version is the holiest of holy grail versions of this knife. I’ll never get tired of seeing that one. That’s a beautiful knife!
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Very nice collection and beautiful shots of them . Thank you for sharing . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
fixall

Post by fixall »

LakeOconee wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Well done post, OP!

Your enthusiasm is apparently contagious: now I have to get one ASAP :)
:D

I really don't think you'll regret it! It's such an awesome knife. With the teal/S30V coming out soon, and the K390 version already on the market, it's a great time to be looking at the Delica Wharncliffe!
fixall

Post by fixall »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:57 pm
Well said on all points and much agreed! I was a staunch supporter when it first came out and I’m glad to see it get as many different variations as it has.

Your custom Titanium Damasteel version is the holiest of holy grail versions of this knife. I’ll never get tired of seeing that one. That’s a beautiful knife!
Thank you very much! The titanium/damasteel Delica is probably my favorite knife that I own. :)

I can't help but wonder though... DamaCore? Maybe with contoured 3K carbon fiber... Hmm....
fixall

Post by fixall »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:39 pm
Very nice collection and beautiful shots of them . Thank you for sharing . MG2
Thanks!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Beautiful lineup and I agree, it's hard to beat a Delica!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
brancron

Post by brancron »

Those are beautiful, fixall! They are all great, but that 20CV one with navy TeroTuf scales calls to me the most.

So far I have managed to avoid the urge to collect all the steel variations of the wharnie Delica, and your post is not helping me keep to that pledge (I've already gone down that rabbit hole with the Endura!).

And you're totally right about it being a superb work knife. It's the kind of knife that just screams "I want to cut something" when you have it in hand.

Currently my only wharnie Delica is this one, with Verrazano-style carbon fiber scales by Steve Butcher:

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I've wanted one of these for a while: https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-delic ... wk390.html
They also have a lc200n version in mint green
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

How's the blade play?
"Some call me...Tim?"
fixall

Post by fixall »

brancron wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:40 pm
Those are beautiful, fixall! They are all great, but that 20CV one with navy TeroTuf scales calls to me the most.

So far I have managed to avoid the urge to collect all the steel variations of the wharnie Delica, and your post is not helping me keep to that pledge (I've already gone down that rabbit hole with the Endura!).

And you're totally right about it being a superb work knife. It's the kind of knife that just screams "I want to cut something" when you have it in hand.

Currently my only wharnie Delica is this one, with Verrazano-style carbon fiber scales by Steve Butcher:

Thank you. :)

The navy TeroTuf scales were made by Nick of Fireside. He does great work! It took a little effort to get the aftermarket sleeves to fit, but that isn't the scale's fault. :)

The contoured, orange TeroTuf scales were made by Steve Butcher. As far as I know... These will probably be one of a kind because he doesn't care for the material, lol. He does awesome work! Those Verrazano scales look fantastic! As soon as he gets some more CF in stock, I'm gonna try for a set of contoured scales for my SG Delica. :)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Paraguy wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:56 pm
I've wanted one of these for a while: https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-delic ... wk390.html
They also have a lc200n version in mint green
Paraguy wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:57 pm
How's the blade play?
The K390 version is pretty excellent. Keep a toothy edge on it and it cuts forever!

I like the idea of the Salt series... I've just found I'm not really a fan of completely linerless knives. I fiddle and take my stuff apart too much for that, lol.

Four out of five of my Delica Wharncliffes are ROCK SOLID with no perceptible blade play whatsoever. When tuned for drop shut action, the HAP40 Delica with the contoured, orange TeroTuf scales has the smallest amount of side to side play, but no up and down blade play. That is MY fault though. That knife is made from the parts of three different knives, and I had to custom grind the lockbar (I don't recommend this at all). It took a little elbow grease, but the lockup is really secure and even passed the "spine whack" test.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Fixall, you have officially started me down the rabbit hole. I just bought a K390 wharncliffe Delica and a pair of Fireside “polar” textile scales. When the K390 patinas it should look great with the ivory-colored scales!
fixall

Post by fixall »

brancron wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:29 pm
Fixall, you have officially started me down the rabbit hole. I just bought a K390 wharncliffe Delica and a pair of Fireside “polar” textile scales. When the K390 patinas it should look great with the ivory-colored scales!
Nice!!! That's going to look so good! Be sure to post some pics. :D

Just be careful about carrying the knife when you have a new pair of jeans! I did that with some ivory Micarta and never could get the stains out, lol.

Also... If you decide you'd like to go with a stainless clip, instead of the black clip that comes with the K390, shoot me a message. I think I have a spare or two around here. :)
brancron

Post by brancron »

fixall wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:30 pm
Also... If you decide you'd like to go with a stainless clip, instead of the black clip that comes with the K390, shoot me a message. I think I have a spare or two around here. :)
Thank you sir! Although I must admit that I’ve got a small stash of MXG Gear titanium clips that I dip into to feed my Endura habit. So one of those will be going on it as soon as it arrives!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Great knives! The truth is, anything Delica is awesome.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

We all owe 'Jazz' for his 'Lets get serious' thread, wanting a Wharncliffe Delica for work.

I've had the Hap40 version since it came out. Upgraded it with the Flytanium scales and an REK clip.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:04 am
We all owe 'Jazz' for his 'Lets get serious' thread, wanting a Wharncliffe Delica for work.

I've had the Hap40 version since it came out. Upgraded it with the Flytanium scales and an REK clip.

:smiling-heart-eyes
"Some call me...Tim?"