Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vandelay

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by vandelay »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:30 pm
vandelay wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:27 pm
k390 wharncliffe LW would be nice. I've been wanting a bigger k390 wharncliffe than my dragonfly but nothing out right now interests me. The chap is my favorite in terms of ergonomics, so I'd love it.

That would be great indeed and perhaps my favorite PE wharnie to get!! For an SE wharnie I´d want them to stick with XHP though or another not to hard (to sharpen) steel.

/ And yes, the ergos are amazing. When using the Chap - and I do also use it "hard" as it easily can take this - I am always amazed how comfortable it still is for how thin it is, but even more so how it locks in hand without any shifting, rolling or whatever.
I've found the k390 is one of the easier steels to sharpen, at least with diamond. I had some trouble getting XHP super sharp. I haven't had an SE in either though.
cjk

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by cjk »

FRN Chaparral wharncliffe!!!! :crossed-fingers :crossed-fingers
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:30 pm
… So what I´d like to see in a Chap XL is actually the second approach…
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:31 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:06 pm

What they did for the Native Chief is a good translation of what I would love to see in a Chap XL
:winking-tongue
Perfect example! Never had a Chief (but Natives), but I think they pretty much kept "everything the same" (thicknesses, handle tallness...) and "just" stretched the Native 5, right?
That’s how I would describe what they did as well. I understand what both of you mean about a new larger Chaparral.

I have my own, different, viewpoint on that but I don’t feel it’s necessary to get into it right now. If Spyderco ever does develop a model like that though, I personally believe they should at least be more creative with the name than just “Chaparral 2” or “Chaparral XL.” Something that really removes it from the traditional Chaparral series but still recognizes where it came from.

After a little bit of research I’ve noticed an interesting connection between the Chaparral and Sage names. “Sagebrush” is one of the most dominant plant species that makes up the “Chaparral” biome. The name “Sage” is easily derived from “Sagebrush” and with the Sagebrush being a large part of the “Chaparral biome,” one could make the case that is why the “Chaparral” was named the way it was.

Another interesting similarity is that they’re both controlled series’ that feature a uniquely different feature per variation. (Lock and Handle material) It’s almost as if they were always intended to be the bigger and smaller versions of each other.

Circling back to my point about naming the “longer Chaparral” that you’re looking for, I think the model name should be similarly as creative and well-considered as the Sage and Chaparral names already are. One idea I came up with is the name “Chamise” or “Chamise Chaparral.” (shə-ˈmēs - shuh mees) It is a shrub species that grows in the Chaparral biome and has one of the largest growing ranges of any Chaparral species. It would be similar to how the Native 5 evolved into the Native Chief and not the Native XL. I can’t even begin to describe how much better the name “Native Chief” is over “Native XL.”

[Also, on a completely unrelated note, with real Chaparral biomes being composed primarily of evergreen shrubs, I think it’s only fitting that we get some version of a green handle material on a Chaparral! Even a regular production sage green FRN ;) Chaparral LW would be cool to see. :cheap-sunglasses]
-Nick :bug-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

We need a longer Chapie in S90V.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Ramonade wrote:
What they did for the Native Chief is a good translation of what I would love to see in a Chap XL [/highlight] :winking-tongue
Perfect example! Never had a Chief (but Natives), but I think they pretty much kept "everything the same" (thicknesses, handle tallness...) and "just" stretched the Native 5, right?
Yes that's how it appears to be ! Making the tip even thinner due to the fact that the distal taper follows the same angle/direction (I don't know how to express distal taper at random like that ;) ).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:52 pm
That’s how I would describe what they did as well. I understand what both of you mean about a new larger Chaparral.

I have my own, different, viewpoint on that but I don’t feel it’s necessary to get into it right now. If Spyderco ever does develop a model like that though, I personally believe they should at least be more creative with the name than just “Chaparral 2” or “Chaparral XL.” Something that really removes it from the traditional Chaparral series but still recognizes where it came from.

After a little bit of research I’ve noticed an interesting connection between the Chaparral and Sage names. “Sagebrush” is one of the most dominant plant species that makes up the “Chaparral” biome. The name “Sage” is easily derived from “Sagebrush” and with the Sagebrush being a large part of the “Chaparral biome,” one could make the case that is why the “Chaparral” was named the way it was.

Another interesting similarity is that they’re both controlled series’ that feature a uniquely different feature per variation. (Lock and Handle material) It’s almost as if they were always intended to be the bigger and smaller versions of each other.

Circling back to my point about naming the “longer Chaparral” that you’re looking for, I think the model name should be similarly as creative and well-considered as the Sage and Chaparral names already are. One idea I came up with is the name “Chamise” or “Chamise Chaparral.” (shə-ˈmēs - shuh mees) It is a shrub species that grows in the Chaparral biome and has one of the largest growing ranges of any Chaparral species. It would be similar to how the Native 5 evolved into the Native Chief and not the Native XL. I can’t even begin to describe how much better the name “Native Chief” is over “Native XL.”

[Also, on a completely unrelated note, with real Chaparral biomes being composed primarily of evergreen shrubs, I think it’s only fitting that we get some version of a green handle material on a Chaparral! Even a regular production sage green FRN ;) Chaparral LW would be cool to see. :cheap-sunglasses]
For some reason I always thought about Jim Hall and his Chaparral race cars.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Mushroom, I think that’s a very well reasoned view of naming conventions that I have to agree with in many ways.

I think the Sage Green FRN is also a good idea!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:10 pm
Mushroom wrote:
For some reason I always thought about Jim Hall and his Chaparral race cars.
It’s often mentioned how Sals interest pertaining to sports cars is partly responsible for the “Spyderco” name itself, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Jim Halls Chaparral race cars had some influence on the knife’s name as well. The reason I brought up the Chaparral biome is because Spydercos own literature included with the Chaparral describes it as the namesake of the series.
-Nick :bug-red
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Blade material : Magnacut 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Blade shape : gotta say, I'm entertained by the idea of having a Wharncliffe Chaparral 👌

All this, assuming I could reuse the blade in a standard Chaparral with liners.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

how about a Boyd dent? The extra thin lockbar on your thumb when closing it is the only thing I dislike about the Chap, I feel a curve would relieve that discomfort.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

buckleys wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:17 am
how about a Boyd dent? The extra thin lockbar on your thumb when closing it is the only thing I dislike about the Chap, I feel a curve would relieve that discomfort.

Absolutely! I am HUGE fan of the Boye Dent, to the point where I stubbornly refuse to buy the Police LW and Rockjumper due to the lack of said dent (and jimping). The Chap LW certainly could benefit from the dent because as you said, that thin lockbar is pretty painful on the thumb meat, especially early on before the knife is broken in!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

buckleys wrote:

I am not opposed to a boye dent, though I would not need one either (and perhaps prefer the overall lines of the Chap without one).

But does a boye dent actually make it more comfortable to use a lockbar? (Honest question, I have no idea. And at the moment only backlocks WITH the dent, only the Chap without, but that´s not a fair comparison due to the thinness of the Chap lockbar and its strong detent (which I like, by the way)).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

I find no real functional or comfort difference between having a Boye dent and not having a Boye dent.
Aesthetically, they probably look .001345% better without a Boye dent. Since a big part of the Chaparral's thing is being pretty with cool scales, I'd rather it didn't get a Boye dent because it will surely look better without it.

In general, Boye dent or not honestly does not factor into my purchase decision.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

buckleys wrote:
+1 on that. Not a big deal to me, but the dent is definitely more comfortable.
dsm

Post by dsm »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:56 am
dsm wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:03 am
A bit late to the party here, but I’d love to see a Chap in either MagnaCut or K390 (the latter even more). Seems like it’d be a huge seller.

Weird... this is the fourth thread I started more or less long ago getting resurrected in the last few days...

But, glad you did, and welcome to the forum dsm!

As I explained in my original post: The Chap with its unique qualities (for me just perfect for what a small knife should be, especially the reasonable thin, but still very strong blade) deserves all the variants in the world... ;)

For me it is less about steel though, but more about serrations and blade shape (wharnie... :smirk ).. and of course my perhaps main "project" here, the Chap XL (viewtopic.php?t=85342#p1377379 ; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492)
That would be very interesting! I’m not a big SE user, but the variety would be fascinating. Especially with such a thin stock and great geometry, I could see some interesting use cases.

And thanks for the welcome! I’d lurked for a long time and finally decided to join in the discussion.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Did not get around to really read your post thoroughly earlier, sorry for the late reply!

Really interesting points and suggestions!!

May I ask: Are you into botany perhaps even professionally? Not only part of the content of your post, but also your username and one or two in depth things you shared here earlier about mushrooms/fungi would suggest that (though I figure mushrooms actually don´t belong in the field of "botany" (but "mycology"?), since they are not plants, right? )

I´d really like the name "Chamise" for a true (thin) Chaparral XL (which in my dreams should be larger than a Sage anyway, just about Endela size ideally (viewtopic.php?t=85342#p1377379)).

Thinking about it, I am also with you in that ideally the Chaparral line/name should mainly remain for displaying different handle materials (and just the FRN version would get some more steel / blade shape options), and a "stretched Chap" should better get a new, but related name. "Chamise" would be perfect for that, as said!

And yes, a sage green Chap would be great!! Question is: Which steel for that one? :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Cruwear and the DLT OD green frn would be the bomb
Second alternative would be LC200N in yellow or mango green frn for a more hi vis model