Delica : Saber grind or FFG?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Z0diac_

Delica : Saber grind or FFG?

Post by Z0diac_ »

For EDC use ? i'm a bit afraid of the fine part of the blade tip it's looks like no strong :thinking do anyone have some bad experience with FFG or i can go buy without any issue :bug-red-white
Michael Janich

Re: Delica : Saber grind or FFG?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear ZOdiac_:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Welcome to the forum.

Obviously, Saber Ground is going to have a stronger tip than FFG. I was in a situation yesterday where I needed a large flat head to twist an oil basin open on a saw but was away with no tools. Fortunately, I had a fixed blade that did the job. I would not have used my FFG unless it was an emergency. However, that is the only time I can ever remember being in that situation where I didn't have the right tool. FFG can be pushed really far. I have used mine very hard for inside and outside projects and I have never seen a broken blade. I think FFG are much stronger than people think. For EDC, I would say 99% or more of the time cutting ability or slicing ability is more important and FFG for most slicing is going to feel a lot better. I think the trade off is well worth it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Z0diac_ wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:42 am
For EDC use ? i'm a bit afraid of the fine part of the blade tip it's looks like no strong :thinking do anyone have some bad experience with FFG or i can go buy without any issue :bug-red-white

Welcome to the forum!

For EDC use?

FFG all the way!

- Slices a lot better than the sabre grind model, will go easier through matter with wider diameter (unless you are trying to actually "split" "wedge apart" stuff, not really an EDC folder technique though... )
- Yes, the tip of the sabre grind Delica will be more robust, but also less useful in almost any EDC folder task I can think of!
The tip of the 2.5mm ffg Delica is strong enough and even a bit reinforced due to the slight spine drop towards the tip.
- If you want an even more robust tip in basically an FFG "Delica" blade: Go for the Salt 2 ffg in LC200N! This one has even more spinedrop towards the tip, almost "sheepsfoot" like. You´d also get: Even lighter weight (no liners), total corrosion resistance, a bit more cutting edge / blade.

IF I´d go for a sabre grind Delica version: I personally would take the H1 Salt 2: It has a sabre hollow grind, which performs better than the "true" sabre grind of the Delica imo
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like the saber grind for aesthetic sake but so long as you are cutting and not stabbing/prying a FFG tip is quite durable.

I don’t use any of my small-mid size folders roughly. Just slicing so lateral strength is less a concern than ease of sharpening and carry comfort.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd go with FFG. The saber ground delicas cut poorly.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

I prefer FFG. My pocket knife is for cutting things, not for prying, twisting, etc. That’s what pocket mini-prybars are for. The saber grind is stronger, but in my experience doesn’t cut as well. Another thing to consider is if you use your knife a lot, and resharpen it enough times, the saber grind is going to thicken at the edge before too long.

Jim
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

FFG would def be my choice.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Saber Grind looks cooler. I'd buy the standard ffg.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Can't think of any saber grind knives I've bought in a long time. FFG is better all around to me, but I don't pry with my knives.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

vivi wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:40 pm
I'd go with FFG. The saber ground delicas cut poorly.
This. Saber is not ideal choice save ham fisted rubes
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I have both, the FFG is the way to go.
On another note, the hollow grind Pacific Salt cuts miles better than the hollow grind Salt 2. The Delica size just isn't enough for an appropriate high hollow.
MNOSD member 0011
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Delica FFG is probably better for EDC cutting tasks, unless you specifically want the saber version with the emerson opener. Salt 2 in LC200N would be a nice option to compare with Delica, especially if you are concerned about a strong tip. The tip on the Salt 2 is a little more downturned/less pointy and therefore likely to break, not that this has been an issue with the FFG Delica as far as I know. Plus LC200N is nice steel with good toughness and exclellent corrosion resistance, and it has a lighter weight than Delicas.
Last edited by spydergoat on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My first Spydie was a SG Delica - I need a robust tool to test for rot in timbers where it does more gouging than slicing. Ironically the only damage has ever been from having to use it to unscrew the tiny Philips to a battery compartment in an ultrasound meter.
benben

Post by benben »

I know that a FFG is more practical for everyday use, but I love my Saber grind Delica, one tough little knife! Of course I'm in a garage / body shop environment everyday.