Stretch XL Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Stretch XL Observations

Post by vivi »

Just got my Stretch XL today, and immediately started carrying it. Here are impressions from my first day with it.

The first thing that struck me about the knife was the weight to size ratio. Extremely impressive, rivaled by few Spydercos.

Another impressive thing I noticed was the balance. I was surprised it didn't feel blade heavy at all, but instead is balanced right at the index finger.

Fit and finish left a little to be desired. The opening was gritty, and the lockbar doesn't sit flush with the scales. Centering is a bit off too.

Might just need to be adjusted, this is straight out of the box.

Here is a video showing the opening and closing action. https://streamgg.com/v/mym4d9xv - Folks that like to drop the choil on their index finger will likely need to adjust the pivot.

The scales have very nice contouring, especially near the opening hole. All the edges of the handle are nicely rounded and melt into my grip.

There is no steel reinforcement for the lock like on the Police LW, so it's two FRN slabs holding the spring in place like a Pacific 2. I will take it apart later tonight and add pictures of the insides.

Opening hole is 100% exposed, making opening a breeze. This contrasts with the Chiefs and Siren I've been carrying a lot lately. Makes it wider in the pocket, but easier to handle.

Very thin tip. I like it! The blade has excellent geometry all around. I don't have calipers handy but judging by feel it strikes me as thinner behind the edge than any comparably sized Spydercos, like the Military, Police, Chief or Pacific Salt. Very effortless cutting.

Smooth handle on the top side, as opposed to the Manix LW and Pacific 2 that have jimping on top of the scales. It works well for me, as the sides of the scales provide plenty of grip for me.

Here's some in hand shots, and comparisons. Basically the same length and width as a Pacific Salt 2. Very ergonomic.

I love how much space there is to extend my thumb up to the thumb ramp. That's the #1 thing that kills the ergos for me on most thumb ramp knives, is feeling too cramped in this area. Putting my thumb up on the ramp of the SXL was like putting on my favorite pair of shoes. Felt "right" immediately.

Comparisons:

Carries about the same as the Pacific Salts in LC200N. Very light and thin in the pocket. The butt end does feel a bit wider when reaching in the pocket though.

Like the Chief, the edge to handle ratio compares very favorably to the Military and Manix XL.

Trying to use it for whatever odd jobs I can, like poking a hole in this container for my straw.

Also cut some cardboard, sliced a lemon for my tea, and opened a few packages.

The factory geometry is amazing - very thin behind the edge bevel. Feels thinner than the LC Pacific, Siren and Chief.

Apex is sharp and polished. Not the sharpest I've had from Spyderco but smoothly shaves and has performed very well on everything I've cut so far. Went through the lemon extremely easily.

While the fit and finish isn't perfect, the overall design has me very impressed so far. I've been a fan of the Stretch since the 2000's, owning a CF/ZDP189, blue FRN & ZDP189, and VG10 & FRN Stretch 2 over the years, and I've gotten to try the old stainless & kraton version too.

This is my favorite version of the Stretch. The ergonomics always worked well for me on the Stretch 1 & 2, but the blade was a little shorter than I prefer. This one also has a pointier tip, which I appreciate.

I'm sure over time the pivot will smooth out, especially once I adjust it myself. I plan to carry this one a lot this year, and I hope we see a Salt version someday.

Will it end up being my favorite Sal design, over the Chief, Military and Police? Possibly. It's that good.

CONTINUED IN PART 2 - viewtopic.php?p=1614081#p1614081
Last edited by vivi on Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Re: Stretch XL Observations

Post by Wandering_About »

Good stuff Vivi. My XL should be showing up tomorrow. Looks like the Chief will be solid competition for it, although Chief is heavier (3.9oz). Edit to add: The Chief is also a lot more expensive, but I'm kind of going to be ignoring that issue in the comparison as to which I like better in use.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Awesome post, thank you for all the pics! Really hoping this one makes it to the K390 list!

Even with XL hands, I've never loved the massive palm swell on the Stretch (or Rockjumper), but I'm sure I'll be giving it a try anyway.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great comments vivi . I am glade you did knife in hand shots . I checked over my XL after reading post . My lock sits better and my blade is off just a bit not quite as off as yours . Overall I’m glad I ordered the XL . I noticed the FRN is like the Pacific. The black in light has reflective very fine sparkles. Maybe Tinkerbelle waves her wand over the mix . :) MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:34 pm
Great comments vivi . I am glade you did knife in hand shots . I checked over my XL after reading post . My lock sits better and my blade is off just a bit not quite as off as yours . Overall I’m glad I ordered the XL . I noticed the FRN is like the Pacific. The black in light has reflective very fine sparkles. Maybe Tinkerbelle waves her wand over the mix . :) MG2
You know Vivi has hands resembling a bunch of bananas right? Glad he did the comparison with other knives as it’s hard to judge with his massive mits in scale!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:15 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
You know Vivi has hands resembling a bunch of bananas right? Glad he did the comparison with other knives as it’s hard to judge with his massive mits in scale!
Yes his hands are legendary ! I have larger hands and I don’t come close , but if it works for him it will work for me ! I always appreciate his comments, he makes me think about things for another angle . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:23 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Yes his hands are legendary ! I have larger hands and I don’t come close , but if it works for him it will work for me ! I always appreciate his comments, he makes me think about things for another angle . MG2
I appreciate the kind words!
vivi

Post by vivi »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:27 pm
Awesome post, thank you for all the pics! Really hoping this one makes it to the K390 list!

Even with XL hands, I've never loved the massive palm swell on the Stretch (or Rockjumper), but I'm sure I'll be giving it a try anyway.
The thing I like about swell style handles is how versatile they are.

I can hold the SXL as far back as I can without my pinky falling off, or with my index finger jammed right up against the guard before the choil, and the handle fits like a glove.

Indexed handles like the Endura 3 & 4, or Police 3, work great when they line up with your grip, but work poorly if they don't. They don't faciliate moving your grip around as much either.

I like and carry both handle styles, but prefer the palm swell style.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:05 pm
abbazaba wrote:

I can hold the SXL as far back as I can without my pinky falling off, or with my index finger jammed right up against the guard before the choil, and the handle fits like a glove.

Indexed handles like the Endura 3 & 4, or Police 3, work great when they line up with your grip, but work poorly if they don't. They don't faciliate moving your grip around as much either.

This.

It kinda makes me wish I got a k390 Stretch instead of the Endura. One day maybe...
"Some call me...Tim?"
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:49 pm
vivi wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

This.

It kinda makes me wish I got a k390 Stretch instead of the Endura. One day maybe...
It’s exactly why I bought the Stretch K390 over the Endura . I didn’t have the SS Stretch and steel . I needed one for an objective comparison, so no brainer. I’m not dissing the Endura by any means, that platform works well for me . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:49 pm
vivi wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

This.

It’s exactly why I bought the Stretch K390 over the Endura . I didn’t have the SS Stretch and steel . I needed one for an objective comparison, so no brainer. I’m not dissing the Endura by any means, that platform works well for me . MG2
Has your stretch developed blade play?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

So far no problems to be fair I have only had it less than a week . Mine is very solid . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 pm
So far no problems to be fair I have only had it less than a week . Mine is very solid . MG2
Just checked mine for play and oddly enough there's a bit of side to side wiggle but no vertical lock rock. Wonder if it'll stay like that as it breaks in?

I'm curious to see if I can get zero play and smooth opening after I have a chance to tinker with it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:58 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:45 pm
Just checked mine for play and oddly enough there's a bit of side to side wiggle but no vertical lock rock. Wonder if it'll stay like that as it breaks in?

I'm curious to see if I can get zero play and smooth opening after I have a chance to tinker with it.
I’m going work more with mine tomorrow. I just checked my XL vertical and side to side are good . The SXL edge are done very well , the K390 bevel is proud on one side as edge rolls to tip . Nothing drastic will come out easy . Overall I am impressed with this knife , a lot of knife for the price . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
brancron

Post by brancron »

I can't do nearly as well a job as vivi (excellent review!), but thought I'd share some pics of mine too, which just arrived today. The knife is fantastic. Not perfect like vivi said, but just a great design and a cutting beast! The only minor issues are very slightly uneven edge bevels (easy to fix with a sharpening job) and the knife being a bit stiff (easily fixed with a cleaning and tune-up). The knife feels super solid despite the lack of liners, and very balanced in the hand.

The knife in its glory:

The stock clip is a tiny bit too stiff for my tastes (my pants are flimsy!), so I threw on this old MXG Gear clip, which has slightly less tension:

A very thin bevel:

I don't have calipers but I've got to imagine this ranks up there with Spyderco's most thin-behind-the-edge knives.

Finally, here it is in the hand (I have "normal" sized hands):

For a long time I had what I thought was a preference for smaller knives. I realized a couple years ago that that wasn’t the case; I prefer light knives. The bigger the lighter the better!
Last edited by brancron on Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

twinboysdad wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I took one look and knew this knife is too big for me. Maybe they will come out with a Para 3 sized stretch. That would be perfect for me.
LetItBleed

Post by LetItBleed »

Wandering_About wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:09 pm
Good stuff Vivi. My XL should be showing up tomorrow. Looks like the Chief will be solid competition for it, although Chief is heavier (3.9oz). Edit to add: The Chief is also a lot more expensive, but I'm kind of going to be ignoring that issue in the comparison as to which I like better in use.
you’ll soon have a chief lw in production to compare as well
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

LetItBleed wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:29 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:09 pm
you’ll soon have a chief lw in production to compare as well
Yes, that does throw another interesting factor into the mix!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Part 2

Post by vivi »

Another knife I wanted to compare the SXL to is the Resilience. Their handles have a lot of similarities. The SXL's guard comes to a more abrupt curve, but otherwise their shapes are very close.

Here's two tip comparisons I wanted to do. Chief, followed by Police 4. SXL is on the right in both shots.

Now on to sharpening.

video showing sharpness before reprofiling - https://streamgg.com/v/n5n04r2q

First I tried 20 strokes per side at 15 degrees on the sharpmaker, using the medium rods. Here's how each side looked:

Next shots show the reset edge. 200 grit diamond plate until the apex was reset and cleanly shaved, followed by a 45 micron diamond strop 3x per side. I didn't try to go any thinner than the factory bevel - just erase all traces of the factory bevel and put a coarser apex on the knife.

Hair popping sharp. VG10 is very easy to reshape and sharpen. Total time spent reprofiling then finishing the apex is 10-15 minutes.

Here's the inside. No washers.

Built just like a Pacific Salt 2. I can't imagine Spyderco not having a Salt version planned if this knife sells well.

Re-assembly was easy. Put the three rear body screws in first, then the lock bar, then the blade. Extremely simple.

After taking it apart, cleaning the pivot, lubing it and putting it back together, the grittiness was 100% gone. I set the pivot just a hair looser than the factory as well, and now the opening and closing action is very smooth.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Interesting. It is already built very much like a Salt, minus the corrosion free hardware.